Suggestions

I honestly can't imagine that being put in the game without completely destroying the balance the way it is now -- the colors are randomized, meaning that you can't exactly "plan ahead", collect a certain color, and use its power.
And you never explained why it's important to be in the game other than "lol it's cool", and you didn't even explain how you'd use it in gameplay.

Actually, this suggestion could HELP you if you were in a pinch and in a risk at losing the emeralds you risked your character's life to get. After you use the emerald, (they can have basic commands like jump shield= Jump+Spin) it burns out and doesn't respawn as fast as usual. Minimum could be... 180-220 secs. Some could have more than one-time-use, and if you don't want to use it and want go super, just avoid using it. As simple as that. Plus, there's no need for "planning ahead". If you don't want to use it, DON'T use it and wait for the other. If you pick up more than 1 emerald, you can only use last one you picked up (unless the devs made optional controls for it specificly).

I think it rather stay that only the shields give you certain abilities, for balance issues.

I had some ideas for shield-specific sprites when they are implemented like (for example), what if for the Whirlwind shield, instead of a "shield" appearance, per say, there would be wind swirling around you? Of course, there are problems such as being able to identify if someone currently has a whirlwind shield, but this is just off the top of my head.

A visible time limit for levels that actually have a time limit you have to complete the level under.
If there isn't one, dying out of nowhere would be a total surprise, and using scripted messages is kinda lame.

Backwards timers? Yeah, we really should have this, IMO.

When a team's flag is returned to base, and a player of said team is holding the enemy flag within the team base sector, he or she immediately captures the flag.

I'd like to see this still happening when you subtract the flag carrier from the equation. If a player tosses the enemy flag into the team base sector, and their team flag is also there, then that player captures the flag. Have the flag remember the last person who was carrying it, and give them the score.

This would allow a player to, for instance, toss the enemy flag into their own base, then hunt down the enemy flag carrier and return the team flag to base within the 30 second time limit, causing a "remote" capture. In fact, this is what I attempted to do, and was sad to find out it didn't work. :(

The "Emerald-Usage" suggestion
I thought of this before but then I realized that it would.

1. Break the game-play.
  2. Mess with how emeralds really work. (They don't do anything until the last one is found.)
Actually, this suggestion could HELP you if you were in a pinch and in a risk at losing the emeralds you risked your character's life to get.
Then we would need controls to select what emerald to used. (Srb2 is complicated enough.)

After you use the emerald, it burns out and doesn't respawn as fast as usual. Minimum could be... 180-220 secs.
So instead of losing your emeralds now. You would rather use one or two (depending on the situation.) and wait 3 or more minutes before it has a "chance to respawn" and you "could" get it.

By the time it re-spawns you will A. ( lost your emeralds) B.( Used the rest in similar situations) C. (Match will be finished. Don't forget the default match time limit is 5 minutes.)

You should get a reward for getting all 7 emeralds, not for collecting 1 certain emerald.

Edit: Another thing, People would use it just to prevent Super S-T-K.

Force 2D on the rope-things in Arid Canyon, perpendicular to the rope itself. Trying to judge where you're jumping to when the camera is facing the direction you're moving. Same goes for the conveyor belts in Egg Rock.

Speaking of Egg Rock, in the low-gravity rooms, have it so you can't make contact with the walls: so many times I've died because I jumped a little too far and the yellow bars have pushed me to my doom in an instant. Perhaps having more control with jumping would help this too?

I think I already mentioned this, but have your character cast a shadow on the floor, so you know where you're going to land if you're making jumps such as the ones in the low-gravity rooms on Egg Rock.

I think about more levels, just have GreenFlower, Deep Sea Zone, Tecno Hill, Arid Canyon and Red Volcano Zone, Castle Eggman and Eggrock. it could have more levels.

I think about more levels, just have GreenFlower, Deep Sea Zone, Tecno Hill, Arid Canyon and Red Volcano Zone, Castle Eggman and Eggrock. it could have more levels.
So you want to have more levels by scrapping some entire zones? I dunno, you're not making any sense here.

Suggestion: Extra Life Monitor's icons changing colors with the player in netgames.

colored1up_01.png

colored1up_02.png

Although not something very significant, it also wouldn't hurt to have them :) The execution is even quite simple!

First, the following sprites would be recolored to green (only the faces, not the monitors themselves): PLAYc0 and PLAYe0 from sonic.plr and TAILc0 and TAILe0 from tails.plr. and KNUXc0 and KNUXe0 from Knux.plr not knuckles' of course, since his prefcolor isn't green, but red

Lastly, these pieces of code between »» «« would be added in p_enemy.c:

line 1789
Code:
void A_1upThinker(mobj_t *actor)
{
	#ifdef LIVESBOXDISPLAYPLAYER
	if (!splitscreen)
	{
		actor->frame = states[S_PLAY_BOX1A].frame;
		actor->skin = &skins[players[displayplayer].skin];
	     [B]»» if (leveltime)
		{
			actor->flags |= MF_TRANSLATION;
			actor->color = players[displayplayer].mo->color;
		} ««[/B]
	}

line 1816
Code:
		P_SetMobjStateNF(actor, S_PLAY_BOX1A);
		actor->skin = &skins[players[closestplayer].skin];
	     [B]»» if (leveltime)
		{
			actor->color = players[closestplayer].mo->color;
		} ««[/B]

line 1874
Code:
		remains->flags = actor->flags; // Transfer flags
	     [B]»» remains->flags &= ~MF_TRANSLATION; ««[/B]
		P_SetThingPosition(remains);

line 2047
Code:
	if (item == MT_1UPICO && newmobj->target->player)
	{
		newmobj->skin = &skins[newmobj->target->player->skin];
	     [B]»» if (actor->flags & MF_TRANSLATION)
		{
			newmobj->flags |= MF_TRANSLATION;
			newmobj->color = newmobj->target->color;
		} ««[/B]
		P_SetMobjState(newmobj, newmobj->info->spawnstate);
	}

Here's the patch with the diff between my version of p_enemy.c and the one in the trunk (revision 6082):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5117337/SRB2/p_enemy-colored1up.patch

Last edited:
Suggestion: Extra Life Monitor's icons changing colors with the player in netgames.
Lastly, these pieces of code between »» «« would be added in p_enemy.c:

line 1789
Code:
void A_1upThinker(mobj_t *actor)
{
	#ifdef LIVESBOXDISPLAYPLAYER
	if (!splitscreen)
	{
		actor->frame = states[S_PLAY_BOX1A].frame;
		actor->skin = &skins[players[displayplayer].skin];
	     [B]»» if (leveltime)
		{
			actor->color = players[displayplayer].mo->color;
		} ««[/B]
	}

line 1816
Code:
		P_SetMobjStateNF(actor, S_PLAY_BOX1A);
		actor->skin = &skins[players[closestplayer].skin];
	     [B]»» if (leveltime)
		{
			actor->color = players[closestplayer].mo->color;
		} ««[/B]

line 1874
Code:
		remains->flags = actor->flags; // Transfer flags
	     [B]»» remains->flags &= ~MF_TRANSLATION; ««[/B]
		P_SetThingPosition(remains);

line 2047
Code:
	if (item == MT_1UPICO && newmobj->target->player)
	{
		newmobj->skin = &skins[newmobj->target->player->skin];
	     [B]»» if (actor->flags & MF_TRANSLATION)
		{
			newmobj->flags |= MF_TRANSLATION;
			newmobj->color = newmobj->target->color;
		} ««[/B]
		P_SetMobjState(newmobj, newmobj->info->spawnstate);
	}

would it be alot easier to submit it in patch form, like the output of 'svn diff' on trunk?

Actually, a temporary invisibility powerup isn't a bad idea, but it would have to serve a purpose in Single Player too. Perhaps it could make it so that enemies cannot see you.

Is there a way that SRB2 could program the Windows Error thing(Not the same, but maybe a report to the developers)?

SRB2 HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM. SEND REPORT?

Do not send, send

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 11, Members: 0, Guests: 11)

Back