Stuff missing/incompatible in 1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, first off, the removal of black is because I remove any exploits I find myself using. It's not that I removed it because I was losing to people playing as a black skin, I found myself changing to black myself for the explicit purpose of abusing the game. I've removed several game mechanics that I found abusive, and that was one of them. I understand that many people don't like it, but it was a necessary change.

Silver in Thunder Citadel isn't nearly as overpowered as there are plenty of non-silver things in the stage. In a dark level, everything is black, so you blend in everywhere. In Thunder Citadel you only blend in to a few walls, making it a rather small advantage, if any, especially in the new version of the stage. I understand that black was a "cool" color and extremely awesome or something, but you must understand that the balance of the game is important and easily exploitable things should be removed.

Originally, the shields were the following:
Basic (blue) - Protected from one hit. No special effects.
Elemental (green) - Protected from one hit, all elemental damage, and drowning.
Attraction (yellow) - Protected from one hit. Attract rings to the player.
Armageddon (black) - Protected from one hit, exploding for a massive AoE when damaged.

That's it. Only four, one of which had no special abilities at all. Later, we added the Inferno Shield and split the Elemental Shield's three elements onto the three elemental shields, like Sonic 3, making a Liquid Shield which protected from slime and drowning. We also replaced the Basic Shield with the Whirlwind Shield as the Basic Shield was rather boring.

However, in 1.1 we're going to a very different system more similar to the original SRB2 design. The 1.1 shields will look similar to the following:

Whirlwind - Protects from one hit, double jump by pressing jump-spin.
Force - Protects from two hits. Can reflect projectiles by pressing jump-spin.
Elemental - Protects from one hit, drowning and all elemental damage. Can lay down fire trails with the spindash.
Attraction - Protects from one hit. Attract rings to the player.
Armageddon - Protects from one hit, exploding for a massive AoE when damaged. Explosion can be activated with jump-spin.

The old elemental shield is back, taking the effect from the Inferno Shield in the process. The old attraction shield is also back, removing the immunity to electricity. Armageddon keeps the jump-spin activation we added somewhere along the lines, and the Basic Shield is now replaced with two shields which are far more interesting. Obviously, 1.1 is not done yet and this is entirely subject to change. We may find that these don't work out as well as we like, and we can mess around with them again. The basic concept here, though, is very likely to stay, with only minor tweaks done to the details.

The final thing I'd like to address is the complaint that we keep removing or replacing features instead of simply adding more. The reason we don't just add, say, a new Force Shield and Elemental Shield on top of what we already have is a lack of focus. It's highly important to the game to keep things from getting out of hand. If we simply added every cool idea we had, we'd have an overload of material and the game would get far too complicated. While I understand the appeal of adding a bazillion options (as I tend to love adding stuff as well), the bottom line is that to keep player sanity, having a limit on the number of powerups, weapons, options, and features in the game is essential, and creative destruction is the only method we have to keep creeping complexity under control.

Mystic said:
The old attraction shield is also back, removing the immunity to electricity.

Whoops, I missed that memo. I think the attraction shield still protects you from electrical damage... should the elemental do that, instead?

Mystic said:
to keep developer sanity

Fix'd, lol

SSNTails said:
Whoops, I missed that memo. I think the attraction shield still protects you from electrical damage... should the elemental do that, instead?
Yes. That was Sonikku's original design, after all.

SSNTails said:
Mystic said:
to keep developer sanity

Fix'd, lol
That's just a side effect. We already made you insane years ago anyhow.

I guess the black color issue could be altered by adding a command in the server to force a color or ban some of them (prevent players from using them), right? Or even better, add a client option to override colors to whatever they want. It would only affect to the player who enabled it. That way if somebody doesn't like the color issue, you become capable of overriding it.

And when I said that about why don't you add stuff rather than replacing it, it was mainly due to the colors issue. Through actually this happens even in places where it wouldn't annoy. If I'm not wrong the letters allowed in title cards is still hard-coded, right? I remember that back when numbers weren't allowed, I tried to add a "2" by figuring out the lump name it would have and adding the lump by myself, and it didn't work. Does that kind of things still happen?

I only disagree with the elemental shield at this point, which seems terribly overpowered... I mean, I get it, elemental, protection from all elements, yeah, but it can also lay fire trails? That's... weird. A green shield making red fire trails is just way too much of a change.

I don't understand why we can't just have 6 shields... D:

I guess that with 3 shields like in S3K we could be OK :/ Excess shields may be annoying really. Look at this:
  • Blue: water
  • Green: elemental
  • Purple: slime
  • Yellow: attraction
  • Red: fire
  • White: whirlwind
  • Black: armageddon
Yes, I mixed all SRB2 shields that were ever made :P

Mystic said:
SSNTails said:
Yes. That was Sonikku's original design, after all.

SSNTails said:
Mystic said:
to keep developer sanity

Fix'd, lol
That's just a side effect. We already made you insane years ago anyhow.

O.O..

Glad to hear about the new shields too.

How did you manage to make SSN insane?

We've been playing with the new shields for quite a while, and the Elemental Shield and Force Shield are definitely not overpowered. In fact, I'd go so far to say that the Force Shield isn't good enough by comparison.

Remember that shields are mainly balanced for single player, and that the elemental shield isn't a particularly ridiculous shield when you realize that almost every stage only uses one elemental damage type at a time anyhow.

I think we'll just see when 1.1 is out >_>

Anyways, back on-topic, is there something more we should consider gone for 1.1 already?

A release date. ::shot::

Nothing's really 'gone', I guess, it's more like repackaged into awesome.

Mystic said:
We've been playing with the new shields for quite a while, and the Elemental Shield and Force Shield are definitely not overpowered. In fact, I'd go so far to say that the Force Shield isn't good enough by comparison.

Give it a bit longer reflect time & ability to repeatedly block projectiles if one is actually hit? Also, on reflection, it should sort of "go back to the beginning of reflecting" if it reflects an object. This'd be useful for, say, turret blocking.

Will you replace the liquid shield at the beginning of THz2 with the force shield? It would help a lot going through the turrent section (seriously, I can't get through the conveyor belt, I always get crushed, I even learned to get to the button that destroy the turrent in 9 seconds).

Remember the Inferno Shield Monitor in the turret room that no one gives a **** about? That will become an E-Shield Monitor.

*coughcoughidocoughcough*

Through that shield is sorta kind of useless unless you lose the liquid shield or you didn't get it in the first place :P

As long as A_CustomPower still allows me to give a player the fire trail and protection from fire damage only, I'll be happy. Cause if it doesn't I'll need to badly remake Nitemare's ability crap, not that he'll be done by 1.1 and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back