Stuck in windowed mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

ongakujin

Okay, now I'm really starting to get ticked. I already typed in this entire message and submitted it, but I got an error and couldn't go back, so I have to type it again.

Here is my story:

Back in December, my computer went kerplooie, and I had to completely reinstall windows, but everything in my "My Documents" folder was saved. Today was the first time since then that I tried playing SRB2. When I did, I got an error saying that fmod.dll was missing, and that I could fix this problem by reinstalling.

I left the original version I had on my computer, and re-downloaded SRB2 and installed it into a seperate folder. However, when I tried running the new one, I got an error message, (sorry, I forget what it was) and the game wouldn't run at all. I tried running it again, and this time, it sort or worked, but I got an error message upon opening the .exe, it ran in a tiny little window, the music wouldn't play, and I got an error message every time I started a level. I closed the game, and opened it a third time. This time, it ran normally except for that it was still in the tiny window. I tried messing with the video options, and I tried using the net launcher, but neither fixed the problem.

After searching the boards and the wiki for a while, I found that fmod.dll was a file in the SRB2 directory (naturally) and that it was missing (it wasn't in the folder of the original one I used) you could re-download SRB2, take the fmod.dll from the directory of the new one, and put it in the directory of the one missing it, so I did just that. Then I tried running the SRB2 that I had used before my computer crashed. This time, no fmod.dll error, but the file also ran in the tiny little window. I again tried messing with the video options, using the net launcher, and neither worked, and I tried searching the boards and the wiki and found nothing useful.

Can someone give me some advice? I think if I continue to play in windowed mode, my eyes might start to bleed.

Thanks in advance.

Are you using OpenGL?

If so, open config.cfg, find the line that says "fullscreen "no"" and change it to yes.

Try not using the launcher.

Otherwise, is it possible that DirectX is broken on your computer?

I get the same effect whether I am using the launcher or not. Maybe it is DirectX. How do I tell, and if that is the problem, how do I fix it?

Regardless, I now have a completely new problem. (God, this is not my day for srb2.) Now, whenever I try to run it, the whole screen gets black as if it was going into fullscreen mode, but I get an error message saying.

SetDisplayMode FAILED: Function call not supported.

The dumb thing is, I didn't even change anything. I shut my computer off earlier today after the original problem, and just came back to it now, and this happens. Maybe the game is mad I haven't played it in a few months.

Thanks for trying to help, SSNTails. I'm giving you more errors before you can even find the cause of the first.

I deleted config.cfg, and the game runs now, but still in a window.

GCFreak, when you say reboot, is that the thing that basically uninstalls everything on your computer? Sorry, but I'm not that advanced with computers, so I'm not always sure what's what. No offense, but I'm not really willing to have to reinstall everything and lose a bunch of data for the sake of SRB2.

Okay, well then, excuse my stupidity there.

Turn off, Turn back on doesn't work, and Now, after the game starts one whopping time, I'm back to "SetDisplayMode FAILED: Function call not supported."

EDIT: Okay, it seems the game can't make up it's mind what error to use. Now it runs, but in the window again.

1) Download and install new display drivers for your video card.

2) Download DirectX 9.0c and install it.

3) Reboot your machine.

4) Put the Windows XP CD in your computer.

5) Go to Start/Run and type in:
SFC /SCANNOW

6) Run SRB2 and tell me what happens.

ongakujin said:
I trust you, but before I do that I was just wondering what step 5 will do. Could you explain that?

E:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /?

Microsoft(R) Windows XP Windows File Checker Version 5.1
(C) 1999-2000 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved

Scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/SCANONCE] [/SCANBOOT] [/REVERT] [/PURGECACHE] [/CACHESIZE=x]

/SCANNOW Scans all protected system files immediately.
/SCANONCE Scans all protected system files once at the next boot.
/SCANBOOT Scans all protected system files at every boot.
/REVERT Return scan to default setting.
/PURGECACHE Purges the file cache.
/CACHESIZE=x Sets the file cache size.

Thanks Logan, but all of the sudden, the game is running normally. I think it was that I had to delete config.cfg then reboot, but honestly I have no clue. Thanks for bearing with me, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back