Still stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioXXD

ok i got the pallette but everything i change on a wad. when it comes onto memory on SRB2 it says sigment violation >_>

The error is probably not in SLumpEd; it's more likely in the WAD itself. First of all, I assume you're making a character WAD. Second, make sure all the frames are BMP files, not PNGs (I don't think this is a problem if you're using SLumpEd, but try it anyway). Third, and very importantly, you need to have every frame of the WAD already existing before you load it into SRB2 and test it. If you're not done and only have a few of the frames done, add placeholder frames. Fourth, be absolutely sure that PLAYA1 (Note: it may not be PLAY--it could be four other letters, but it'll always be either A1 or A0) comes DIRECTLY after your S_SKIN lump. Fifth, check your last two rotations, PLAYa(1-8) and PLAYb(1-8). The "a" and "b" HAVE to be lowercase, otherwise your character will crash if you jump and/or spring in the game.

There are a few other things that might have caused the error, but those things I've mentioned are the most common issues. Make sure you're following all of those things, and, if there's still a problem, tell it to us in the most specific way you can.

By the way, the error you're getting is actually spelled this way:

Signal handler (): segment violation

On this message board, we call this error a "Sigsegv".

Second, make sure all the frames are BMP files, not PNGs (I don't think this is a problem if you're using SLumpEd, but try it anyway).

It isn't. Plus, BMPs are useless in SLumpEd for making Character WAD frames because the transparency won't work.

That is incorrect, if you have indexed BMPs in the SRB2 palette then SLumpED will convert the transparent parts correctly.

You have to have a program that can save BMPs in an indexed palette. I know GIMP can do it, and I am pretty sure Photoshop and various other programs can do it as well.

Torgo said:
You have to have a program that can save BMPs in an indexed palette. I know GIMP can do it, and I am pretty sure Photoshop and various other programs can do it as well.
Paint can, too. Save as 16- or 256-colour. Controlling the palette would be hard, though.

Yeah, paint doesn't have that capability of saving a different palette. I guess if you edited a screenshot of srb2 in software that would work, or export a BMP from SLumpED. The only problem is picking a specific color. I guess you can use that picture of the palette from the SRB2 wiki.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back