• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Stardust Speedway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkman90

Well I decided to start work on a new wad. This one is going to be my first Race wad. It will be based off of the level in Sonic CD called Stardust Speedway. I have some big plans for this so I hope it will be good. This is going to have the original Sonic CD music in it along with the original Sky. I have started already and so far I have the first leg done. I do not plan on releaseing any demos of it but if you are in the chat room at the right time then you may get a chance to help test it with me. ;) Here are some Screen Shots of what I have so far.

SRB2004.gif

I am sorry for the error there but I think it is a SRB2 error and not a WAD error. So I can't fix it. :\ The white arrows are speed pads. :)

SRB2005.gif

Careful, spikes hurt. ;)

SRB2006.gif

That is the basics of the first leg. But not exacly all of it. ;)

Anyway, Questions, comments suggestions I will take them. :)

it looks good :D

I played a piece of it by IRC, and i have noticed that i believe it used SRB2-Playahs Sonic Racetrack II format. Just wanted to point that out.

Good Work :mrgreen:

If you shrink the sky it would look less pixelated and you would get infinately more stars on screen. As of more it looks more like the dust part of stardust in the sky.

I was going to make a level like this once, but it was more true to the form of the actual Stardust Speedway. Looks like you beat me to it, and so far, it looks much better than what I'd have done.

Needs more custom textures. The new sky is nice, but that endless sea of the same metal texture is pretty ugly.

As for how it plays, well, I wouldn't know, would I?

Some more comments, I played a little bit over IRC:

* I know you're going to use more custom textures and not the same one over and over so I won't bug you there.
* THere's a weird HOM effect there near the start of the level.
*Right now the gameplay isn't living up to the name of the level. It's more about obstacles instead of speed... Also, the speed pad on the platform is really annoying as it only lets you across about 20% of the time.
*The slime and lava don't really fit in. If you want to keep them in they should probably be replaced with a bunch of spikes clustered together to keep the classic SS feel. Then again I'm against the whole let's cluster a ton of obstacles here for no reason and kill the player.
*Finally, if you want some cool enemies, maybe you could use the UFO's from Sonic CD special stages?

Those are some pretty good suggestions. I think you are right about the speed pads. I will get rid of those and see what I can change it with. I will think about getting rid of the slime but I really want there to be SOME obsticals in the map. But I could always find other ways of making them. :/ Anyway thanks for the suggestions. :)

Speed pads only thrust the character to it's "normal" max speed.
So, they're not that usefull if the gameplay's just all about speed.
Except for after parts that'll slow the character down...
Methinks speed pads should at least thrust the character a little ways above normal max speed. And not have the character slow down to max speed for at LEAST several seconds.
... Maybe I'll go suggest that.

Anyway. For SRII, I used really fast conveyer belts. Sure, they only speed up the character above max speed for 0.5 seconds, but they're more effective than speed pads anyway... Plus, if used correctly (By the player. Not the map maker.) They can be more effective than a single thok. (And Thoks are fast if used correctly.)
Well, this is but a mere suggestion.

Ya, I might get rid of some of them and add some conveyer belts, but I am trying to stay away from copying all of your ideas. XD

You could always use some more spike pits or bottomless pits instead of slime. I think the conveyor belts are a great idea.

Actually it's a good idea to shy away from bottomless pits if you can. A pit that you can get out of (but might suffer pain from falling into) is optimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back