• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2SNK: A fighting game

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would the special stages work out? I don't think the sphere Idea would work out, unless you do some sort of gravity shift. I'm not really sure.

How would the special stages work out? I don't think the sphere Idea would work out, unless you do some sort of gravity shift. I'm not really sure.

I'm guessing there's going to be a hard-coded portion for it.

Unless they have another idea for it.

Last I checked, we still don't have a very clear idea how we're going to handle special stages yet.

I have an idea on how the special stages would work, but I don't think that is possible.

Maybe you can edit the rings in the special stage to act like the spheres.

When someone touches a sphere, they should turn red.

When someone else touches the red sphere, it should automatically end the level.

Also, there should also be red spheres already out there to make it harder as well as orange spheres to make the character jump far.

Also, the character should automatically move forward to make it harder.

Their abilities should also be disabled as long as they are in the special stage.

That's what I say. Like I said, I don't know if it's possible, but it's worth a shot.

Titan, that's the single player special zone. In the multiplayer one, it's a long tube. There are spikey balls--- wait, I think that's Sonic 2.

Yes, it's Sonic 2.

I'd say better off going with custom special stages. The spheres would be a bit easy to collect if you ask me, seeing as unless you code it, SRB2 player movement isn't very gridlike.

Well, I've never made an official wad or scripted anything, but it was just an idea I had in mind. I still think it's possible, but, now that I think about it, it maybe be a little too complicated.

Something such as Sonic 3's Special Stages would be really difficult to make in SRB2, with all of the limitations.
I'm sure it won't be possible, and if it is, it probably won't be done well anyways.

Something such as Sonic 3's Special Stages would be really difficult to make in SRB2, with all of the limitations.
I'm sure it won't be possible, and if it is, it probably won't be done well anyways.
It can most certainly be done and execution would be at very least decent if done right.

There'll need to be constant forward movement in a special stage after the assigned key to move forward is pressed. Possibly borrowing CZ64's idea for forward movement like he did in his riders mod.
Rough code draft possibly? Have an if statement stating if you are in a special stage, AND one of the sidemove (Assigned turn left/right) keys are pressed, the player turns in that direction.
Code:
if ((gamemap >= sstage_start && gamemap <= sstage_end) && cmd->sidemove) {
    if (cmd->sidemove > 0)
        player->mo->angle += ANG90;
    else if (cmd->sidemove < 0)
        player->mo->angle -= ANG90;
}
You'll also want a new statement such as an angle limit to prevent the player from constantly spinning with a single keypress. Of course I wouldn't know how to do that off the top of my head. I would assume you would need a new player structure, like anglimit (player->anglimit).

In regards to jumping in special stages, it seems to have a similar gravity like being in NoClipping mode, maybe a little less.

In short, it can be done.

You'll also want a new statement such as an angle limit to prevent the player from constantly spinning with a single keypress. Of course I wouldn't know how to do that off the top of my head. I would assume you would need a new player structure, like anglimit (player->anglimit).

In regards to jumping in special stages, it seems to have a similar gravity like being in NoClipping mode, maybe a little less.

Sure, I'm not sure if there will be something like a rounded surface to walk on like in the original S3&K, but perhaps something different like a huge fog block covering the stage?

Whether or not they decide to want to attempt it is surely up for debate, it would be an interesting sight to see executed IMO.

EDIT:
Whoops, apparently I'm wrong, but I'll leave this up here just in case. I suppose.

Last edited:
We could still use the whole sphere idea but couldn't you easily create a large map and edit the camera so that it looks at Sonic like a top-down view? I think that would make things alot more easier.

IIRC, SRB2&K doesn't have the goal of porting everything from Sonic 3&K into the 3D realm, but rather to reimagine the concepts however SRB2 is capable of doing so in an enjoyable manner. We could take some of the ideas Sonic3&K's special stages introduced, but to make the special stages feel fresh and meaningful, I think the most important thing we need to make sure to do is add those SRB2 elements into the mix.

For instance, platforms.

Also, for instance, multiplayer mayhem (think NSMBWii, then think blue spheres turning into red spheres).

And I am guessing the reason why is because the Special Stages don't have any barriers, you just come out the other side, just like the edge gates in Pac-Man. I don't know how that would work smoothly in Doom Legacy.
Teleport sectors without the sfx being played when you warp.

Located at the outer bounds of the level, think of the thok barrier in a sense as a teleporting sector. Teleporting you to the opposite end of the level if you hit the bounds of the level.

Last edited:
And I am guessing the reason why is because the Special Stages don't have any barriers, you just come out the other side, just like the edge gates in Pac-Man. I don't know how that would work smoothly in Doom Legacy.
No, the reason why is simply that we have better ideas.

True. And WE need to have some better ones. The leader of this project needs a thinktank team.

So, are you guys getting anywhere close to a release? It's been almost 4 months since you guys announced the project, and there still isn't any sort of release available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back