• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sik

Well, I'm back and I made a tutorial for all those who wants to learn to play SRB2:
http://www.rctd.ft6.com/uploads/tutorial.wad

This will have some optimization later, as well as parts for each character. Now I want your opinion.

PS: go near to Stephany for get help. You'll know what am I meaning when you play it. ;)

Hehe. I came up with the idea of doing that as well, but I never actually did so.

It's not bad, but the text doesn't seem to work quite right. It seems to scroll through the water text a lot.

its nice, but in OpenGL, there are tons of graphic bugs everywhere, and a few missing wall textures.

Spazzo said:
its nice, but in OpenGL, there are tons of graphic bugs everywhere, and a few missing wall textures.
Oops, I forgotten to use Zennode XD That happens to me for play always in software mode XD I'll fix it later.

Anyways, Mystic, when does the text scroll? I never saw that effect. Oh, wait, do you mean that the water text is too long? Yeah, I think I'm going to make it to two or three pages, instead of four. But I'm afraid of crashing. :roll:

Oh, and I'm going to optimize and all those things as I said, as well as put parts for each character, like SSNTails suggested to me. ;)

- The music is too compressed and low-quality.

- There should not be a death pit in the tutorial level. It should just be a short pit which you can get out of by using a staircase or something.

- When Stephany talks about the rings, there aren't actually any rings nearby.

- Like mentioned, a lot of walls are missing in OpenGL. And I never play in Software mode so... yeah, that would be a bit of a problem.

Why not? It's not meant for every level, just one, the tutorial.

This tutorial should be stickied so we can just refer newbies to it. :D
Edit: The only problems I see is that you can activate multiple text linedef executors at once and it can get pretty confusing. Don't know how you'd get past that, though.
Good job. :D

fox.dx2 said:
your omochao-like sonic is annoying, .
At least you don't hear her voice. And, however, her voice wouldn't be THAT annoying. If annoying. But otherwise how would I explain to the player what to do, eh? Anyways, that "omochao-like sonic" is the same girl who chases me in SRB2-Town. :P

FoxBlitzz said:
- When Stephany talks about the rings, there aren't actually any rings nearby.
Ehm, the 8 rings at the beginning, that are exactly in front of her. :roll: Hey, please pay more atention. You're worse than me. :P

I know the linedefs executor thing, but I don't know how to stop any other scripts when one new begins, and I think that it's impossible. That would be great as an improve to add in 1.09.1, use one of the flags of the linedefs for cancel all the active scripts.

And the walls... I told you I forgotten to Zennode. Or Zennode it yourselves or wait until I make a second release of it, that I'm planning to use.

Great, although I prefer tutorial levels being all "wireframe"ish. I'll be working on one that covers the same subjects... once I get used to DoomBuilder :D

that music is to low quality, said before i know, try using an ogg vorbis, or use mp3 with 96-128kbps, these were the threshold of good quality music, and ive tryed it.
or you could just use some of srb2's internal music.

ree-c said:
that music is to low quality, said before i know, try using an ogg vorbis, or use mp3 with 96-128kbps, these were the threshold of good quality music, and ive tryed it.
It IS an OGG. The problem is that if I use that bitrate, the filesize will be too high.

It doesn't cover keystrokes though. And I still stand by my comment about the death pits. The first level should never have a death pit. Ever. The areas with Stephany are too close together, so she appears on the screen too many times. I think that the beginning of the tutorial should have a longer passage with a few turns. Just putting the areas so close together doesn't feel like a first level at all.

And that crusher should probably be removed. It may be too hard for new players to get under. Even GFZ1 is easier than this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back