• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's quite a good idea, however, some features may not be included in it due to the game's current configuration. Do your best to make it while there's only 2.0.6 out, because, when 2.1 get released... It may be much troublesome to create WADs (more commands, more complex scripts...) with Moon (LUA). I also wonder why only now they decided to include LUA in SRB2...

I also wonder why only now they decided to include LUA in SRB2...

The reason why they included LUA is to replace the the old SOC files. LUA is more simple then socing. Socing require's knowledge and experience (in my opinion). And most game's has LUA in it. So people already have some knowledge to create a LUA file. Socs can only do so much, but with LUA you can do more then that. Socs can't actually script but LUA can. You will soon see why they added LUA when 2.1 come's out.

Last edited:
The reason why they included LUA is to replace the the old SOC files. LUA is more simple then socing. Socing require's knowledge and experience (in my opinion). And most game's has LUA in it. So people already have some knowledge to create a LUA file. Socs can only do so much, but with LUA you can do more then that. Socs can't actually script but LUA can. You will soon see why they added LUA when 2.1 come's out.

Does having LUA mean we'll be able to make portal guns that work?

The reason why they included LUA is to replace the the old SOC files.
Lua won't replace SOC. It can do most (maybe even all?) of the stuff SOCs can do, but it's basically a whole different thing. SOC basically lets you screw around with the game's settings, and it also lets you create new objects by combining the features of existing ones, but you can't escape the confines of what SRB2 provides you with. Lua doesn't have these kinds of restrictions. As long as the necessary interfaces are provided in SRB2's source code, you can basically write your own code and embed it into the game.

As an example, SOC allows you to make custom bosses, but they all use the Eggmobile's AI, and this is a heavy restriction on what you can with them. Lua will allow you to write your own AI for your custom bosses, which in turn allows you to create more complex patterns and to write entirely new attacks.

LUA is more simple then socing. Socing require's knowledge and experience (in my opinion).
Not really. SOC's syntax might be pretty much unreadable, but if you know what all the options do, you pretty much have all the information you need. Lua is much freer than that, and it's also much more extensive, which on one hand makes it more powerful, but on the other hand also much more complicated and difficult to learn. If you have never written programming code before, Lua will basically be an entirely new world for you.

And most game's has LUA in it.
Now that's just not true.

Mean't to say program's not game's sorry. But still only very little percentage of game's have LUA scripts.

Last edited:
So, in other words, LUA is one more way to give SRB2 2.1 more possibilities. What i asked is: why didn't they include it in previous versions? I don't think these posts helped me much.

Last edited:
So, in other words, LUA is one more way to give SRB2 2.1 more possibilities. What i asked is: why didn't they include it in previous versions? I don't think these posts helped me much.
Lua support for SRB2 is pretty much JTE's brainchild. He originally planned to release a mod called SRB2Lua, but when he joined the dev team (which was after 2.0's release), it was decided to incorporate it into SRB2 proper.

In 2 weeks work on the mod will resume. In 6 weeks I will release the demo.

Edit:I'm just going to start right now.

Edit2: 2.1 is coming out? Did I make all of this for nothing?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back