[Open Assets] SRB2 Riders 2.46.5

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And a word for future map makers for mariokart mode: PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T USE ANY OF THE DEFAULT MAPS EXCEPT AZURE CITY AS AN EXAMPLE. (They all suuuuuuuuuuck)
Would I be ignorant if I said most of the horrible Mario Kart maps currently in the mod should be replaced with the maps DOOD64 and the others made with the fixes and actual cups? Would I?
I know it may seem strange getting rid and replacing of all the default maps (except Azure City of course) CZ64, but even the net-players think they're all 'dated'. Just saying.

And a word for future map makers for mariokart mode: PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T USE ANY OF THE DEFAULT MAPS EXCEPT AZURE CITY AS AN EXAMPLE. (They all suuuuuuuuuuck)

You shitting me? Azure City is one of THE worst stages. It is literally not a Mario Kart map. It was intended from the beginning to be a single player NiGHTS map, and it shows. The entire stage is constantly melting, checkpoints are insanely easy to miss, one road looks like a shortcut but isn't, and the track itself is more or less any given Mushroom Cup Plumber Circuit at x1.5 scale and x2 boring.

If all this wasn't bad enough, the city itself is litered with all sorts of interesting places; a basketball court, a(n american) football stadium, a piazzarant, a park, a bridge that looks like an alternative path but isn't, and a few more places, all part of this one giant cocktease as you can only glance at these places as you go along, and just barely so. The stage railroads you to specific locations, even though the stage implies so much more. But no, it's a Mario Kart stage, and the original NiGHTS version is lost, so nobody can experience it as originally intended. If there's one stage I can certainly do without, it's Azure City. I've said it before, and I will say it again; it is literally not a Mario Kart track.

...Not that there arn't others I can do without, however.

I don't care if it isn't a MarioKart map, it's the only map that FUNCTIONS THE BEST AS ONE. The roads are wide and long, there is plenty of room for new players to learn the controls and properly drift corners, and above all I DIDN'T FALL INTO ANY PITS (or smash face-first into a wall) AFTER 3 LAPS OF IT.

I don't care if it isn't a MarioKart map, it's the only map that FUNCTIONS THE BEST AS ONE. The roads are wide and long, there is plenty of room for new players to learn the controls and properly drift corners, and above all I DIDN'T FALL INTO ANY PITS (or smash face-first into a wall) AFTER 3 LAPS OF IT.

I honestly felt Mario Circuit did a much better job of this, even though the friction tags screwed up majorly. There arn't any pits there either. The only real issue is the last turn, which is a bit tight for newbies and is very easy to miss the finish line. CZ64, I suggest either making it easier to turn or extending the finish line to over the grass. As for Pipe Speedway, it's a bit cramped, but I think some re-scaling could make it another easy yet enjoyable course.

Last edited:
Another thing to be fixed: yellow spring momentum accompanied by normal 'fast' movement makes you hit your own forward-thrown banana peel. (EDIT: And of course fake itemboxes, too)

'course this just corresponds to the above post regarding player damage items hurting the player that made them.

Last edited:
I remember this from back in 1.09.4, and to be honest, the levels are still as bland as they were. They seem very sparse in terms of scenery.

I was playing as Sonic in the Hero story or whatever it was, through to the dark Metal City alternate. Night Chase, was it? Anyway, played a lap or two, was quite unimpressed... and then I got stuck on a rail. I got unstuck, though!... but I landed on the rail again and got stuck in another spot of which I couldn't get out of. I then lost interest.

In addition: Although I was playing in OpenGL, I managed to get lagged down to 2 FPS in Egg Factory. That wasn't pleasant at all. I also got quite a lot of lag in Babylon Garden. I really shouldn't be, either. I have perfectly competent computer hardware and everything.

In conclusion, while it plays moderately decent, the maps (that I played) need a lot of work--especially in the aesthetic department. I suppose it would play well enough online, but I have yet to do that with this version.

This mod is not OpenGL-friendly. Eveyone here who has lag in Egg Factory or Babylon Garden are all OpenGL users. But I do have some good news.

With the recent changes to SRB2, transparent flats (or flats with cyan pixels) are not restricted to being 64x64 anymore. This means that I don't have to add hundreds of small FOFs to Egg Factory so it can look proper. The same thing with Babylon Garden, but to a lesser extent.

I've played the current game with OpenGL on. And it's true that Egg Factory is unplayable. But after I removed all the useless FOFs and added cyan pixels to the 512x512 flats, most of the lag is gone. It still lags in OpenGL, probably around 13/35 FPS. But it's certainly playable now.

So apparently multiplayer is borked.

Darn, so much for trying the new maps.

EDIT: So I actually got through all the riders levels, and I must say that doing the high-tricks on the ramps -by holding the backwards button and jumping- doesn't always guarantee you that you'll reach the floor safely.

What I'm implying is, if you do those high-tricks, you can fall into the pits.

Last edited:
I honestly felt Mario Circuit did a much better job of this, even though the friction tags screwed up majorly. There arn't any pits there either. The only real issue is the last turn, which is a bit tight for newbies and is very easy to miss the finish line. CZ64, I suggest either making it easier to turn or extending the finish line to over the grass.

I'd rather fix it myself, since I made the map, I actually plan on touching up Dry Dry desert and Mario Circuit to be a bit easier on the player, they're my maps after all =/

So, today, I decided to finally get around to making that character WAD I've been meaning to do for Riders. So after putting some sprites in, renaming all the remaining sprites, and then putting it into SRB2, what do I get?

Jibx4.png

So I figured it was something I did, so I checked the wad again, and what do I find?

zNkMz.png

Some ability frames, custom monitor/sign frames, and some of the NiGHTS frames have NO CHARACTERS to identify them. I checked in the .ridr files, and same story. What characters do these frames use and how can I add the right characters to finish the wad?

Solution: Bug CZ64 to go and remake the SRB2 Riders character system to use more than one four-letter prefix in a character's sprites' names.

Last edited:
It's confusing, I agree. For now, when you get to those random characters, open up an existing skin and copy the character from them. That's how I did it. Saving them on a folder and then uploading it won't work, as you can see.

What you can also do is paste the characters on a TXT file to grab them easily. Same thing with the Wiki entry, but only when editing the page. Maybe it would display if it was shown as
Code:
 or something.

It's confusing, I agree. For now, when you get to those random characters, open up an existing skin and copy the character from them. That's how I did it.

I did this, and it didn't work at all.

Also, a bug concerning jump pads; Karts using the Mega Mushroom don't activate them, so you drive right off.

Oh, I have some suggestions...

Custom Drop Point Destination/ Custom Drop Point Sector

Basically, if you die in a Custom Drop Point sector, You respawn in the tagged sector's waypoint (Which I assume will just be a teleport waypoint). Basically, a teleporter that acts when you die from a hazard in a sector and you respawn. Thi way, instead of going back to the checkpoint, you can go past where you failed and only lose time from having to respawn. This is mainly for Mario Kart mode, as all Mario Karts do this in their courses (For example, most given Bowser Castles in Super Mario Kart).

Oil Slick/Ice Slide

The current Ice instantly accelerates you to top speed, and are also terrible substitutes for oil slicks. Not good. With the Ice Slide, your controls would range from really tight steering to really loose steering with little middle ground, while Oil Slicks make you spin out if you turn or drift while on that sector.

Also, I think the hitboxes on the Item Boxes and the Koopa Shells could be a bit bigger. It's hard to hit with a green shell given how it barely slows your opponent down, and I find myself constantly missing item boxes when I'm practically in them.

Last edited:
If we do custom drop points, why don't we also just make checkpoints invisible and inaudible? With drop points, checkpoints would only serve to mark the route, and wouldn't need any visual or auditory cues.

If we do custom drop points, why don't we also just make checkpoints invisible and inaudible? With drop points, checkpoints would only serve to mark the route, and wouldn't need any visual or auditory cues.

So we know if we're going the right route, our current time up to that point, and we know when the player ranking updates start.

Drifting and Air Sliding doesn't work with a pad's joystick. Even though you can still turn with the axis set to turn, drifting will not start at all like with a key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back