SRB2 Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyboy

Howdy! I'm fairly new to the game, but have been playing for the past week and decided I loved it. Some people may have seen me online using the same name...

Anyways, I was trying to show this to my friend on his PC, when a weird error occurred. Whenever trying to start the game, it comes up in a little windowed mode, and I get an error dialogue labelled SRB2 error and it says the following:

"signal_handler(): segment violation"

Now, I'm not studying computer engineering in school anymore, so this just confuses me. Anyone who could give me some help?

His computer's pretty new and has a nice graphics card. Here are some specs...

1 GB RAM
1.81 GHz
GForce 8700

That's all I know offhand...

Hey I remember playing a game with you just a few seconds ago.Anyway the problem is that there is something broken in the map so it is not your friends computer.

The error you received is quite common and can happen in too many cases for anyone to determine what your problem is.

The only suggestion I can give you is if this error is occurring upon starting the game, reinstall SRB2, and see if that does anything for you.

That is SRB2's scape goat, it's the message that shows up when the game has no clue what else to say!

Make sure not to use wads on your first time, as they themselves cause sigsevs often, and the hidden lava zone also sigsevs because SSN wins.

Dannyboy said:
Anyways, I was trying to show this to my friend on his PC, when a weird error occurred. Whenever trying to start the game, it comes up in a little windowed mode, and I get an error dialogue labelled SRB2 error and it says the following:

"signal_handler(): segment violation"

Now, I'm not studying computer engineering in school anymore, so this just confuses me. Anyone who could give me some help?

That sounds like it COULD be the network packet buffer overflow bug, however it's odd that you are able to reproduce it so effectively on Windows. Is running XP, Vista, what? You can try right-clicking on srb2win.exe, going to Properties, and choosing Windows 95 or Windows 98 compatibility mode, that *might* do something.

Oh, and as for what a segment violation is, it's similar to a General Protection Fault or a Page Fault. It's when the operating system detects the game reading or writing to pieces of RAM that it's not allowed to.

The signal handler error is very common. It happens for random reasons so don't worry. It might stop appearing in the next time you open SRB2. Just don't worry, okay?

Cheese said:
Uh, no. A Mac wouldn't sigsev.

Are you blind? That is completely insipid and incorrect. A sigsegv can happen under any program running under any multi-tasking operating system. SIGSEGV is listed as one of the many different program errors you can get under Linux, a free derivative of Unix. Since OS X is a derivative of FreeBSD which comes from Unix, except with a pricetag, by common sense one can only conclude that sigsegv also happens on a Mac.

Also, you do not have any understanding of what a software error is. A sigsegv is not the result of the operating system. Just because you added some faulty SOC and it crashed the game, you can't blame Bill Gates for making it happen. That is immature and unknowledgeable. The fault is either with the people who programmed the software you were using, or with the person who created the SOC.

Mac is not God. Stop acting like it is. You just make yourself look stupid.

FoxBlitzz said:
Cheese said:
Uh, no. A Mac wouldn't sigsev.

Are you blind? That is completely insipid and incorrect. A sigsegv can happen under any program running under any multi-tasking operating system. SIGSEGV is listed as one of the many different program errors you can get under Linux, a free derivative of Unix. Since OS X is a derivative of FreeBSD which comes from Unix, except with a pricetag, by common sense one can only conclude that sigsegv also happens on a Mac.

Also, you do not have any understanding of what a software error is. A sigsegv is not the result of the operating system. Just because you added some faulty SOC and it crashed the game, you can't blame Bill Gates for making it happen. That is immature and unknowledgeable. The fault is either with the people who programmed the software you were using, or with the person who created the SOC.

Mac is not God. Stop acting like it is. You just make yourself look stupid.
Win

Another sigsev... Interesting. Use the compatibility mode if your running XP/Vista. Other wise I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back