SRB2 Doom Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oogaland said:
Prime 2.0 said:
This, is a serious problem for many people editing maps. Currently, someone can make a map ceace to be open source by putting in sectors and sidedefs in such a way that they will be considered unused by any editor other than deepsea, even if they are vital to the level. Currently this is used to "hide" the GFZ2 house, and all of RVZ from those who would look at it in a wad editor. People need to be able to study such maps so that they can learn how to wad better by example.

I propose making the "unused" sector(and sidedef) manual, that is, it will prompt you before removal, asking if you wish to proceed. Additionally, you can include it in the .dbs to not consider them "unused" by the removal system so you aren't bothered by them further. Finally, I propose having linedefs designated "unused" colored blue to make them stand out from everything else.

Unused sidedefs/sectors are ones that are unreferenced. That is, they aren't used anywhere on the map, but nonetheless have an entry in the SIDEDEFS/SECTORS lumps. So they never affect how the map is displayed, unless there's some jiggery-pokery in the code that alters references of certain linedefs/sidedefs at runtime on an ad hoc basis. If this is indeed the case, then prompting before removing them is fair enough. However, colouring 'unused linedefs' differently makes no sense, since unused sidedefs/sectors are by definition those not used on the map. Unless I'm missing something, as usual...

RVZ is built out of "unused" sidedefs and sectors. it holds together all of the linedefs that are used in the level; the connect them and such. think of the unused sectors/linedefs as "joints" for the rest of the stuff. under this system, you can collapse the map when it is viewed in a normal wad editor, because this "framework" is removed.

r20

New build, for the first time in ages: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0569864/builder_srb2-r20.zip. New today:

Code:
! Lassoing linedefs still didn't update the info bar.
! Crash in Select Map dialogue.
! Selecting 320x200 caused the game to run at 320x240.
+ Prettied-up the error-check dialogue a little.
! A couple of crashes when default gametype not set, which happened when the
  map was created in another editor.
! Selection was cleared when finding identical sectors.
+ Updated the config for the new NiGHTS engine.
+ Path-drawing updated for the new NiGHTS engine.
+ Zoom Tube Wizard.

The main purpose of this build was to fix a couple of bugs that were cropping up repeatedly. However, I stuck in a few new features too.

I don't think there's much that needs to be said about this build. I will remark that the next build will probably be similar: some time away and mostly bug fixes, while I work on another project. But I haven't forgotten about it. :)

I should also mention the Trac that's been set up on the public SVN server. It lists (or will do, once I've finished populating it) bug reports and suggestions, and tracks their progress. I don't think you're able to post tickets there, however; but no matter, I'll continue to transfer them from here.

Bug reports/suggestions are welcome, as always.

A bug in SRB2builder

Hi, Oogaland

I encountered a small bug in SRB2builder. If you resize a map. The map will move towards the right as the map gets bigger.

Try it with my "Hell Angel" map. It is a square. When you make it bigger it moves the level over to the right instead of keeping it still. When I do it with the things. It works correctly.

Sonict

Ooga, i have a problem with Srb2 builder

it seems like when i make a circuit map, with diffrent areas that trigger the starpost at the same time (by touching it or by a sector) and when I go to the circuit finish line, it doesnt Say: "<Nickname> has started Lap <LAP #>"

I think there should be an error checker making sure that activates in 1 area... automatically checks for areas with the same Flag value (making sure it works), and seeing if you can make laps on that

Suggestion: a selection mode which allows selecting all elements (sectors, linedefs, things, etc.) at one time? Wadauthor has this enabled by default.

Digiku said:
Suggestion: a selection mode which allows selecting all elements (sectors, linedefs, things, etc.) at one time? Wadauthor has this enabled by default.
It's a nice idea, and something I've been considering implementing for a while, but it's quite tricky due to the way selections are handled (it just stores the indices). But I might have a bash at it.

Sonict said:
Hi, Oogaland

I encountered a small bug in SRB2builder. If you resize a map. The map will move towards the right as the map gets bigger.

Try it with my "Hell Angel" map. It is a square. When you make it bigger it moves the level over to the right instead of keeping it still. When I do it with the things. It works correctly.

Sonict
Do you mean when you move the mouse to the edge of the window while resizing? If so, this is meant to happen, but I agree that it's a bit clumsy at the moment.

Sonict said:
Hi, Oogaland

Sonict

Oogaland said:
Do you mean when you move the mouse to the edge of the window while resizing? If so, this is meant to happen, but I agree that it's a bit clumsy at the moment.

No, I mean you go into linedef mode. Then you use select all command. Then you select "resize". Then make the level bigger to like 125%. See what I mean now?

Sonict

I swear, DoomBuilder in general has trouble loading and saving files.

Flame Rift 2 loaded in DoomBuilder, saved, and then Zennoded:

ihatedoombuilder.png

Appears to not load the thok barrier properly in the WAD. I even tried giving the map a proper Zennode with the full BLOCKMAP, and even that didn't help.

I really hate to do find/replace manually, but unless all the rampant weird issues are fixed, I don't know what to do about it. Using DoomBuilder with Mystic Realm is like flipping a coin, and if I lose the flip, my map is not corrupt and you have to revert to backups. It's very frustrating, as there are plenty of features I use DoomBuilder for, such as the merge sectors and find/replace, and I frequently can't even load the map at all.

Mystic said:
I swear, DoomBuilder in general has trouble loading and saving files.

Flame Rift 2 loaded in DoomBuilder, saved, and then Zennoded:

[image]

Appears to not load the thok barrier properly in the WAD. I even tried giving the map a proper Zennode with the full BLOCKMAP, and even that didn't help.

I really hate to do find/replace manually, but unless all the rampant weird issues are fixed, I don't know what to do about it. Using DoomBuilder with Mystic Realm is like flipping a coin, and if I lose the flip, my map is not corrupt and you have to revert to backups. It's very frustrating, as there are plenty of features I use DoomBuilder for, such as the merge sectors and find/replace, and I frequently can't even load the map at all.
What node builder is DB configured to use (Tools->Configuration->Nodebuilder)? I tried what you described with ZenNode configured, and everything worked fine; using ZDBSP, though -- which is the default -- caused weird things to happen when I tried running it through ZenNode manually.

I completely reinstalled DoomBuilder from scratch and it appears to be working fine now. This time I didn't disable the nodesbuilder, as that seems to be causing the issue. Kinda annoying, since I prefer to do it manually to prevent BLOCKMAP generation.

Mystic said:
I completely reinstalled DoomBuilder from scratch and it appears to be working fine now. This time I didn't disable the nodesbuilder, as that seems to be causing the issue. Kinda annoying, since I prefer to do it manually to prevent BLOCKMAP generation.
You can configure the exact command-line arguments that are passed to the nodebuilder by DB, so you could disable BLOCKMAP generation that way. The settings are on the Nodebuilder tab of the Configuration dialogue.

Mystic said:
I recall trying that in the past and having DoomBuilder complain mightily, but it may be fixed now.
Yes, you're right, it complains when there's no BLOCKMAP. I thought I'd fixed that, but apparently not. It should work in the next build.

EDIT: Scratch that, I had fixed it. I was doing two things wrong: I put the switch after the filename for ZenNode, which summarily choked; and I forgot about the extended map number problem.

r21

New version, after a month: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0569864/builder_srb2-r21.zip. Alpha, keep backups; remember to save your preset files when upgrading. Changes since last time:

Code:
! Crash when clearing 'below ceiling' text box in FOF dialogue.
+ Added sector type 995 (return dropped flag) to config.
! Choosing 'Flip Vertically' from the Edit menu actually flipped horizontally.
! Changing the ceiling flat from the vertical info bar actually changed the
  floor.
! Breakable FOFs don't require Knuckles any more.
! Ctrl+right-click didn't work when a sector was selected.
! A default damage type wasn't selected when enabling damage on a FOF.
! Negative absolute values weren't permitted in the FOF editor.
+ Added support for absolute thing Z positions.
+ View now centred when new map created.
+ Length now rendered on thing-rotation line.
! Crash when testing in certain (obscure) situations.
! Certain FOF sidedefs disappeared when moving a FOF floor or ceiling in 3D mode.
Mostly cleanups of small-to-moderate bugs, but one or two new features that might be useful:

Added support for absolute thing Z positions.
Rather than specifying the height above the containing sector, this allows you to specify the absolute height. Potentially useful in situations with things in multiple sectors.

Length now rendered on thing-rotation line.
When rotating a thing using the mouse, the distance of the mouse from the thing is now shown. Only the angle affects the direction, of course, but seeing the distance could be useful for placing springs.

That's all for now.

With this release, many awful bugs are gone. I can safely consider this to be a very stable build. Great work!

Oogaland, I have a suggestion for r22. If a terrible crash happens or the computer restarts, can you have DoomBuilder keep a backup of the lost work and open it again once DoomBuilder is touched again? I once lost a pile of work and I think this feature is a necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back