SRB2 Chaos Twilight V2b Released! (Page 15 news)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mineral Valley and Magma Cavern

Green Peaks judging is done HKnux, so look for my post at the bottom of this page. As for Mineral Valley, look no further than right here!

Mineral Valley Zone, Act 1: 7/10
My two big issues here are 1.) the color map for the water is too bright, meaning it's hard to know where you're going, and 2.) don't worry about this. Oh, and do I need to mention unfair Crawla placement when you have to use the last yellow spring to get through the passage to the endsign?
I figured a way around the red spring issue, so I'll give a point back.

Mineral Valley Zone, Act 2: 9/10
Nothing to really complain about here. It's just that I haven't found too many emblems in these levels. I'm probably missing so many secret areas that it's not even funny. It's just that the secret areas I do find are good places for emblems, but there isn't any there. Don't worry too much about this; it's proabably just me. Just tell me whether there is one emblem for each character in every level or not. Back on topic, the level design is great.

Mineral Valley Zone, Act 3: 4/10
Boss battle. I have to agree with everyone else here. If the Egg Slimer can bounce around in a bottomless pit, that can be very unfair.

Mineral Valley Zone Overall: 6.67/10
I'm not worrying about this too much, since you plan on revamping the boss level anyway.

I have decided to do Magma Cavern here since we haven't gone to a new page yet.

Magma Cavern Zone, Act 1: 6/10
Still the cheapness of bottomless lava pits, hopefully you got rid of them in the revamp. There's a small room in which I don't see any point having except as more space to work with while platforming on the way to the second checkpoint. Is there a secret to it? Also, I thought there was a small passageway after the bridges. Did you get rid of it, or is it blocked off by a wall and I need to collect "a lot of rings" to open it?

Magma Cavern Zone, Act 2: 6/10
Again, bottomless lava pits plague the area... This level seems shorter than MCZ1. (probably because I use Tails to clear it; I have cleared it with Sonic, though.) I haven't seen any real secrets except the path to the emerald. I have looked at least 3 or 4 times, but the... special items... are just hidden to me.

Magma Cavern Zone, Act 3: 8/10
Boss battle. Great difficulty for a third boss battle, and it even takes effort to get to it. I wonder, though... How did you get all that lava into one level!? lol

Magma Cavern Zone Overall: 6.67/10
Again, you're revamping MCZ, so this score will be useless to you, but please take my advice into consideration while you remake Magma Cavern.

I'll keep you posted.

Gemini Spark said:
Green Peaks judging is done HKnux, so look for my post close to the bottom of the previous page. As for Mineral Valley, look no further than right here!

Mineral Valley Zone, Act 1: 6/10
My two big issues here are 1.) the color map for the water is too bright, meaning it's hard to know where you're going, and 2.) the red spring used to get to the high FOF in the sky is just in the wrong place. Most of the time, you just spring up to hit the bottom of the platform; doesn't really help. Oh, and do I need to mention unfair Crawla placement when you have to use the last yellow spring to get through the passage to the endsign?

I'll keep you posted.

I might not have played this mod, but if it's a red up spring, you're going too fast, if it's red diagonal, don't press forward.

Violo said:
Gemini Spark said:
Green Peaks judging is done HKnux, so look for my post close to the bottom of the previous page. As for Mineral Valley, look no further than right here!

My two big issues here are 1.) the color map for the water is too bright, meaning it's hard to know where you're going, and 2.) the red spring used to get to the high FOF in the sky is just in the wrong place. Most of the time, you just spring up to hit the bottom of the platform; doesn't really help. Oh, and do I need to mention unfair Crawla placement when you have to use the last yellow spring to get through the passage to the endsign?

I'll keep you posted.

I might not have played this mod, but if it's a red up spring, you're going too fast, if it's red diagonal, don't press forward.

Exactly what Violo said, you arn't supposed to go that fast in that area, and for enemy placement, I removed a lot of un needed groups of enemies from certain parts of the stage.

The colour of the water is fine for me. Unless people want me to change it, I'm keeping it to as it is now.

And for the spring thing, screenshot?

Hyperknux said:
Violo said:
Gemini Spark said:

I'll keep you posted.

Exactly what Violo said, you arn't supposed to go that fast in that area, and for enemy placement, I removed a lot of un needed groups of enemies from certain parts of the stage.

The colour of the water is fine for me. Unless people want me to change it, I'm keeping it to as it is now.

Look, the water seems fine, some bits are confusing or you maybe going the wrong way or doing the wrong thing.
Maybe it cna have adventure fields as well and perhaps more levels?

daiches99 said:
Hyperknux said:
Violo said:
Gemini Spark said:

I'll keep you posted.

Look, the water seems fine, some bits are confusing or you maybe going the wrong way or doing the wrong thing.
Maybe it cna have adventure fields as well and perhaps more levels?

Nope, it's not going to be like Sonic Adventure with adventure fields. The single player stages are already completed. I'm just revamping some of the ones which need tidying up, and new levels are coming out in the next release, particularly multiplayer section.

Icy City (and Green Peaks, in case you forgot)

You could look at mine near the top of the page. =) Or look at my Icy City comments here:

Icy City Zone, Act 1: 4/10
I am suddenly not impressed by this level after playing it as Sonic. First, when I jump around/spring up to get to the first checkpoint and past it, I sometimes jump on a Crawla or get hit by one, then plummet to my doom. Talk about cheap deaths! Also, past the second checkpoint, the level seems a little too easy, if you get my drift. (get it? drift? in Icy City? *shot*)

Icy City Zone, Act 2: 8/10
Much better for Sonic than Act 1. SonicMaster complained about bad Crawla placement in the middle of the level... I'm not seeing it. The nuke shield nearby can take care of that problem. No real issues to point out for Act 2, although you may want to double-check this level and Act 1 to make sure there aren't any floating fences. I remember seeing those; I just can't remember where they are.

Icy City Zone, Act 3: 5/10
It's another boss battle! Again, I find myself battling on the outside to avoid the death pit. Even worse, the icy floors can send you out of control and into said pit. Here's an idea: try icy water instead of a death pit; that way it won't discourage battle in the middle as much.

Icy City Zone Overall: 5.67/10
Sooooo, Act 1 needs to be more Sonic-friendly, and Act 3 just needs a little change; then we'll have something here.

More to come. Oh yeah, if you haven't seen my take on Green Peaks, here it is to remind you:

On Green Peaks said:
Green Peaks Zone, Act 1: 5/10
Some walls that are supposed to be breakable aren't, plus there seems to be a little too much scenery around. It gets to be distracting. Pop-up turret placement also seems to be a little early. On the other hand, there's less bottomless pit, and it's good and simple. Just fix those breakable walls, and it should be okay.
[spoiler:12a76c65c1]I found the secret area with two extra lives[/spoiler:12a76c65c1]
The spoiler mentioned above has Hall of Mirrors. That won't affect the score, but it's another thing to fix.

Green Peaks Zone, Act 2: 6/10
Yeah, I see the waterfall at the beginning. Hard to miss!
The breakable wall leading to a ring monitor actually causes lag for a couple of seconds for some reason... Plus, in the emerald area, you don't want to spring up only to land down on an enemy, and--worse case scenario--fall into the pit. I have yet to figure out what a certain passage has in it, but don't worry about that for now; I'll get to it. Floating grass is EVERYWHERE!!! lol It does seem better than the first level.

Green Peaks Zone, Act 3: 6/10
Boss battle, huh? The pit really discourages fighting Eggman on the platforms... something to think about.

Green Peaks Zone Overall: 5.67/10
GPZ1's revamp actually hurt this score because there's a lot of stuff to fix, but when you decide to fix it for later versions, it'll help.

There shouldn't be any floating grass in GPZ act 2 whatsoever since I fixed pretty much all of the sidedefs before V1 came out, but I'll look just incase. The boss battle has not have a pit anymore, but you will have to wait until the next release to play that. I may do a revamp of this in the future, but act 3 is staying as it is except for the removal of the death pit.

As for Icy city, I'm planning to do major edits, or maybe in the revamp after the next release. I'm focusing on finishing Magma Cavern off for now.

Thanks for extra feedback.

Hmmmm... a Metal Mechanism, huh? Let's see what makes this zone tick.

Metal Mechanism Zone, Act 1: 5/10
Knux players can skip through the first part of the level--actually, everyone can--because the room with the turret is so open; even Sonic can use a spindash-jump-thok to get from one side of the room to the other and skip the room with the blue switch. Also, a huge concentration of enemies around the first checkpoint is just annoying, if anything else. As a whole, it feels a little bland mainly because it's nothing I haven't seen before. There's no real gimmick to set this level apart from other THZ-ish levels, so it's just an average level.

Metal Mechanism Zone, Act 2: 7/10
I do see a camera issue when you get to the area with the switch and the water shield; whenever you try to enter or exit the room, the chasecam does not follow you until you get to a certain distance. That can be a disadvantage when you're trying to dodge the enemies and avoid the slime below. Again, the level has no way of standing out from the other THZ levels, but the emerald area is a good challenge despite that.

Metal Mechanism Zone, Act 3: 3/10
Yep, all the springs are completely in the wrong positions. Most of the time, it's just spring up, hit a platform or the roof, then fall straight back down into the slime. Even when you do get to the top, Eggman is still puttering around at the bottom of the level, and waiting for him to come to the top so you can battle him is very frustrating. In other words: No. Just no.

Metal Mechanism Zone Overall: 5/10
Something really has to be done with this zone; this is the lowest overall score I've given you so far in the mod. Especially the boss level, that just fails.

I delve deeper another time.

Thanks for feedback. Metal Mechanism was planned to be how I like it, but in the future, I may as well chuck in a gimmick or 2 ot make it look better. I'll look at which enemies hsould be removed too.

I'm getting there! Now for Sand Kingdom!

Sand Kingdom Zone, Act 1: 8/10
Interesting choice to use No Climb to hinder Knuckles a little. There's no need to fix it; you could have warned me about it, though. Other than that, it's a great level, especially for a sixth zone.

Sand Kingdom Zone, Act 2: 8/10
Clever placement with the emerald area, plus great scenery and a good balance of enemies means that this is a great level for the mod.

Sand Kingdom Zone, Act 3: 7/10
Boss battle. I like the faster quicksand because it adds to the danger, yet it doesn't result in a cheap death by itself. It is pretty easy, though. Despite that, it's the best so far.

Sand Kingdom Zone Overall: 7.67/10
Great work here! Next will be Galaxy Fortress. I'll be commenting for the first time on it! Looking forward to that!

Not finished with Chaos Twilight yet.

Gemini Spark said:
I'm getting there! Now for Sand Kingdom!

Sand Kingdom Zone, Act 1: 8/10
Interesting choice to use No Climb to hinder Knuckles a little. There's no need to fix it; you could have warned me about it, though. Other than that, it's a great level, especially for a sixth zone.

Sand Kingdom Zone, Act 2: 8/10
Clever placement with the emerald area, plus great scenery and a good balance of enemies means that this is a great level for the mod.

Sand Kingdom Zone, Act 3: 7/10
Boss battle. I like the faster quicksand because it adds to the danger, yet it doesn't result in a cheap death by itself. It is pretty easy, though. Despite that, it's the best so far.

Sand Kingdom Zone Overall: 7.67/10
Great work here! Next will be Galaxy Fortress. I'll be commenting for the first time on it! Looking forward to that!

Not finished with Chaos Twilight yet.

Lol, that's the whole point of actually getting the mod experience, go through the best bits, and find the crap bits =P but thanks for that feedback, i was surprised this got a high score.

Gemini Spark said:
Metal Mechanism Zone, Act 3: 3/10
Yep, all the springs are completely in the wrong positions. Most of the time, it's just spring up, hit a platform or the roof, then fall straight back down into the slime. Even when you do get to the top, Eggman is still puttering around at the bottom of the level, and waiting for him to come to the top so you can battle him is very frustrating. In other words: No. Just no.
Finally someone that understands the wrong placement with the springs in the boss...

Hyperknux said:
i was surprised [Sand Kingdom] got a high score.

Yeah, well you'll need it after I'm done with Galaxy Fortress! *mwahaha*

Galaxy Fortress Zone, Act 1: 10/10
I believe this is the first time lower gravity was used in a Single Player mod. (or is there some old mod in the past that I never heard of?) Way to be bold, HKnux! Not only that, you saved the best challenge for last! This just screams awesomeness beyond compare! The asteroid areas are tough, yet still highly playable. There is some redwall, though. I can see it from the place with the magnet shield, ring, and invincibility monitors. (it's probably because I played through it with OpenGL, which could mean a missing texture) Barring that, which is minor, this level is--dare I say it--PERFECT!

Galaxy Fortress Zone, Act 2: 6/10
The main issue with this level is that the blue springs leading to the second asteroid area are not enough to get you to an asteroid. That happens to be very unfair for Sonic, because even if you thok or spin dash onto the blue springs, even if it is enough, you tend to overshoot it, resulting in--all together now--CHEAP DEATHS! (after all, it is a little cheap to require Sonic players to get all 7 chaos emeralds, 50 rings, and go super, even with two silver ring monitors on the way there)

Three more comments, then I move on:
1.) I actually found the emerald area by accident, lol. I got hit by a red crawla, causing me to fall through the hole leading to the secret area. BTW, it's great as is.
2.) The turrets are good; they have a great home in the last zone of a single player mod.
3.) Something tells me you based some parts of Galaxy Fortress off of Nitric Citadel, what with acid, turrets, and the texture choice for some of the pillars.

Galaxy Fortress Zone, Act 3: 8/10
Another of your great boss battles. I was disappointed, though; I thought I was going to face Eggman in lower gravity, but it turns out that it's just plain normal gravity. Whatever; at least there is something to do to clear the level even after you beat Eggman. Also, in OpenGL, I could see a tiny sliver of redwall on the other side of the door after it opens, indicating you forgot to put a texture on the back of the door. Another minor thing, but another thing to fix, nonetheless.

Galaxy Fortress Zone Overall: 8/10
Lovely, just lovely! GFZ2 may need some work, though. Actually, all you really need to do is just change those springs I mentioned from blue to yellow; that should be enough to give Sonic players a fair chance.

Well, all that's left to do is to look at the unlockables!

Level Select: All twenty-one zones can be played through, so this is easily unlocked.

Special Stages: I only have eight emblems so far, and because this requires fifteen, it's a little out of reach of me.

And now, the moment we've all been waiting for: The Final Tally!

Chaos Twilight Overall: 6.48/10
This score did come down because a few revamps turned a little sour, but maybe the Magma Cavern remake will improve the mod.

Brown, The springs are just as how I would want to place them in the level (except 2 tiny moves to fix the diagonal springs). The springs below, pretty much a recovery point. And it is the 5th world, so do expect it's not going to be easy, and a liquid sheild is placed on there for easy & (not sure normal) difficulty. The only way to crash is if you actually made yourself go under the platform for the upward springs, and the diagonal springs, I added 2 small squares back more in the DB grid, so no more problems can occur, that was the only bug fix that was done so you will have to wait until the next release is out.

Hyperknux said:
Brown, The springs are just as how I would want to place them in the level (except 2 tiny moves to fix the diagonal springs). The springs below, pretty much a recovery point. And it is the 5th world, so do expect it's not going to be easy, and a liquid sheild is placed on there for easy & (not sure normal) difficulty. The only way to crash is if you actually made yourself go under the platform for the upward springs, and the diagonal springs, I added 2 small squares back more in the DB grid, so no more problems can occur, that was the only bug fix that was done so you will have to wait until the next release is out.

Also, thanks for the feedback, I was very surprised for getting a 10 on act 1. I guess it was worth my time taking ages for getting V1 out =P.

I'm not doing a detailed review, just that some of the levels seem like some of the other levels, with different textures, that the boss battle level qualities were very inconsistent, but the extras were nice, and despite some insane difficulty in the later levels, a really well put together level pack.

I swear that second post wasn't there when I last replied in this topic. Oops.

Anyways, thanks for the comment SWP, any areas of improvement, or some things good & bad about the mod I can look at?

Just to let you guys know, I'm still working on this mod. It is not dead, but I have a **** load of college work, but I'm hoping to get another version out by around or just after easter. It's still living guys, so don't worry about it =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back