Spyro goes the bakugan route

Status
Not open for further replies.
spyros1.jpg

Wow, what a waste of good concept art. They could have at least made him look like that in the game, but nooo.

Gameplay concept and execution look pretty terrible too, judging from the released footage.

Hell Spyro almost ((Not really)) looks like Toothless from "How to train your dragon" but just... plain ugly in 3D compared to his concept art for the game.
*image*

What's wrong with his eyes? He doesn't seem to be the heroic, little dragon he used to be. He seems rather dumb from the look in his eyes. He looks unfocused and dimwitted.

What's wrong with his eyes? He doesn't seem to be the heroic, little dragon he used to be. He seems rather dumb from the look in his eyes. He looks unfocused and dimwitted.
skylanders-spyro-statue-toy-fair-2011_144x144.jpg

Derp...

I blame the fact that they applied too much realism and mixed it with a cartoonish style ((which deviated the freaking hell away from the concept art I posted here)) and made him look like a mutated gecko with wings and fangs.

Had they kept with the "Legend" Spyro design, I wouldn't have felt too "bleh" about what I watched in the videos.

Skylanders-Spyros-Adventure-Hitting-Stores-in-September.jpg

site_spyro:-dawn-of-the-dragon-ss-11.jpg

Spyro-Skylanders-spyro-the-dragon-21650959-740-858.png

Damn... what happened there? :/

Last edited:
I actually really liked Spyro's appearance, and the story, characters, and gameplay from the legend of Spyro trilogy. It was more exciting than the originals IMO. (Not to say the originals weren't great.) But this time, I already don't like the appearance or characters, and gameplay isn't looking promising.

To be honest, I think this is less of a Spyro game and more of a game that guest stars Spyro for the monies. It may have Spyro in the title, but it sure isn't the focus.

I blame the fact that they applied too much realism and mixed it with a cartoonish style ((which deviated the freaking hell away from the concept art I posted here)) and made him look like a mutated gecko with wings and fangs.

I'd say it's more like they tried to make him look like a figurine in-game. Frankly I think that was a terrible idea.

Actually, this whole GAME is a terrible idea.

I actually really liked Spyro's appearance, and the story, characters, and gameplay from the legend of Spyro trilogy. It was more exciting than the originals IMO. (Not to say the originals weren't great.)
Have you really played the originals? I'm having a hard time buying that anyone would objectively say that LOS could hold its own to the original trilogy. Spyro was meant to wander in a charming, engaging, and above all cute environment. LOS was just a hackneyed attempt at an edgy kind of "epic adventure" plot, and didn't work at all. None of the characters looked, acted, or sounded right (what the hell were they thinking casting David Spade for Sparx!?), and Cynder's confession of love for Spyro at the end of Dawn of the Dragon seemed like something that was just tacked on for the hell of it. I'll grant you it was better than Spyro: Shadow Legacy, but just about ANYTHING is better than that game.

And this doesn't look like any kind of improvement. It seems as though they just threw in the Spyro brand to add appeal to a game that would have otherwise come across as generic. Honestly, I think it would have been less generic without him.

Last edited:
WHY GOD WHY DO U LET THEM DO THIS TO MY BELOVED CHILDHOOD CHAR DX. Thr originals were so fun i think i still have rypto's rage some where but never the less i would rather play them than that piece of shit thxkbai

...Except that it isn't really much of a Spyro game.

Frankly, it's comparable to what Yoshi's Island DS did with all those stupid baby characters and how the story revolved around them rather than the Yoshies. In Spyro's case it seems like they've gone even further (seeing as you likely won't even play the majority of the game as him).

I loved the Spyro series back in the day, what have they done to it? ;_;

Oh wow this game looks god awful. ._.

I mean what the fuck did they do to the cute dragon from the PS1 series?

Now he looks mean and ugly as all hell now.

The game play looks like some sort of a fighter type of game. Where the screen is zoom out and your the guy with a world from a up high camera.

And in that video. I did not see a single gem from the old spyro games.

I hate the new ideas the developers are using.

Why did they had to do this to one of my most favorite series. ;-;

It's more just putting Spyro in an unrelated game, similar to Star Fox Adventures and various NES and GB games from the days of old.

*clears throat* Um, wow... over a thousand dislikes in that video

Personally I agree with supersonic here. Yes, the art work is... well alright it isn't as bad as most people claim it to be. It leans on a cartoonish-kiddy attire which was just expected, but I gotta stress out that Spyro's new design just doesn't...look right. However, until I get a chance to see some gameplay or at least more mechanics, I'll keep my negative comments on the side.

Hell Spyro almost ((Not really)) looks like Toothless from "How to train your dragon" but just... plain ugly in 3D compared to his concept art for the game.
spyros1.jpg

Ha ha, that first picture makes spyro look derpy.

why

It has more glitches and possibly even more loading than Sonic '06, and I'm pretty sure at least '06 couldn't destroy your save file.

Also, yeah, this looks pretty terrible in pretty much every concievable way, really. The character design alone is pretty much completely offputting to me. Also, it's made by Activision. Stop giving them money!

Also, it's made by Activision. Stop giving them money!

B-but Bob. . .Transformers: Fall of Cybertron comes out around next year! Just once can I give them my money for that?! I really want it. ((Well technically High Moon Studios, but you get the idea))

Destructoid article said:
It's great that he's an included character, but cynically pretending the game is themed around him seems to serve no purpose, as Spyro has zero impact on the game's story. I don't think the target market even cares or knows enough about him for his name to be a sales draw. I think the misleading title was a poor idea that only seems to brew up resentment among actual Spyro fans (yes, they exist). Simply calling it Skylanders would have been a lot cleaner and true to what the experience is about.

Skylanders: With some Spyro is better in my opinion but I figured in a way it would have gotten some positive reviews. I will say the most interesting character out of the group is the Ninja girl that kinda looks like a Night Elf.

Last edited:
Awwright. I've been watching some playthoughs of the 3DS version. My expectations are still low. I guess I really should play it, but just moving looks jerky enough to be obnoxious in gameplay. It looks like the kind of platforming game where they've made the character too big, so it'd be more than easy to accidentally fall of. With the jerkiness of every move Spyro has, it seems like it'd be more than enough to accidentally loose a couple of lives, unless you want to move as restricted as possible.

I've also heard something about needing to buy more plastic figures to beat the game?

No, as it is said in the review, you only need to buy extra figures to get bonuses not commonly obtainable in the game.

I don't plan on buying this game, but I might if I get convinced to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back