• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sprite format

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sonicfan93

What type of file do sprites have to be? .jpeg? .png?

ZOMG HELP!

They have to be in Doom's IMGZ format. They can be easily converted to this from bmp or gif via tools such as XWE and DeePSea

I'm not too sure that it is IMGZ, JTE... Deepsea has separate options for Sprites and IMGZs... Whenever I try to save something as an IMGZ, it doesn't work, I'm guessing that might be a ZDoom thing.

Well I don't know the real name of "sprite/patch format" so I just guessed, sorry. :?
But it's something like that.

Well I don't know the real name of "sprite/patch format"

It's called "bitmap".

The only difference between the way sprites are read by Doom and the way they're read by something like Windows is in that one special index in the 256 color palette (or not) is used to represent transparency, and this varies among editors; most editors tend to use pure cyan (0, 255, 255 in RGB), which does not exist in the Doom palette, while the graphic importing program I'm writing (DSPRITE) uses index 255 on the Doom palette, which is a pinkish-brown color; the reason for this is that this index is never used elsewhere in the game besides in the alpha versions of Doom, in which index 255 was used to mark the end of "posts" (vertical bands of fixed Z per sprite per subsector) and keep the sprite from repeating.

I'm kinda trailing off here, but in short, everything is in 24-bit or 256-color bitmap format, just be aware of what color your graphic tool uses to represent transparency.

'cyan' is number 247, the transparent color.
Pink is also used as transparent by some editors (Such as DeePSea) but the same shade of pink is actually usable in SRB2.

Cyan is also a person that made a cool mod but then dissapeared off the face of the earth.

i've used the jpeg format and pcx paintbrush with no trouble, though bitmap works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back