Sonic Unleashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've said a few times on IRC, fuck the press. I trust them much less than the user reviews for this game, since most "professional" reviews I've seen seem to be either anti-Sonic fanboyism or excessive expectations gone to waste.

Kroze's I trust; not just because it's Kroze (though he does get bonus points for being Kroze), but because it addresses the game from many angles, including who might like the werehog's gameplay, and how the Wii and Xbox are different, i.e. what are their ups and downs.

Blue Warrior said:
As I've said a few times on IRC, **** the press.
I hear that!

But really, the only way Sonic Chronicles got an 8.5 out of 10 on GI mag is because it's a Bioware game. Their Unleashed review? From what I read on Wikipedia: 360(6/10), Wii(6.5/).... It seems to be the anti-fanboyism in them for Sonic Team....
It was never their fault in the first place that Sonic started slumping.... It was their rushy publisher, SEGA.

So yeah.... Press is pretty much untrustworthy with Sonic anymore... (Lols that some sources thought the game was on-rails even when it was announced to be non-railed.)

Sonic Unleashed is the savior of the Sonic franchise... It's dragging the series out of the void known as Sonic 2006. By far, this game is my best Sonic game ever since Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

Can we all stop being such fanboys? Maybe the reason the press rated it low is because they really didn't like the game. Also, SSp, GI isn't biased against Sonic, the guys that rated it 6 gave it that rating because they probably didn't enjoy the game the way you did. Not everyone is a fanboy. It's arguments like these that make me ashamed to be a Sonic fan.

Chisuun said:
Can we all stop being such fanboys? Maybe the reason the press rated it low is because they really didn't like the game. Also, SSp, GI isn't biased against Sonic, the guys that rated it 6 gave it that rating because they probably didn't enjoy the game the way you did. Not everyone is a fanboy. It's arguments like these that make me ashamed to be a Sonic fan.

The thing is that it is impossible to be completely unbiased. Yes, reviews need to be unforgiving and harsh, but I don't like to see things like "this would have been so good if only..." "good going SEGA once again!" "As usual Sonic stinx" in a review. Things like this really lower my respect for the site reviewing the game.

What I do want to point out is that the ratio of Werehog to Hedgehog is a legitimate flaw, but most reviews I've seen have stressed that the Werehog is not bad, just not the same as the rest of the game. The daytime take on platforming wasn't around in SA, which is considered the golden age of 3d Sonic by some. The Werehog on the Wii implements plenty of great platforming mixed with chunky brawling, while the next-gen versions offer a more refined fighting mechanic instead.

This is the reason why I decided the game was a worthy purchase, because the Werehog is actually only bad because it doesn't match the rest and there is so much of it... it plays good in itself and I like what I've seen of it.

As usual, here's my review of Sonic Unleashed:

As we already seen, Sonic Unleashed is the Sonic next-gen consoles back-on.

Day stages: Very fun indeed, exellent graphics, awesome, yet easy gameplay but getting a S-Rank certainly wasn't, but when you did it, it looks like you zip through the wind.

Night stages: Not much fun than the day stages, but still very good. Again, exellent graphics, easy gameplay, a bit easier getting a S-rank, but still hard though. On the contrary, getting the 3 sun medals are easy.

Boss stages:
Day Bosses: One thing that I find it funny are the 3D and 2D parts, also, Eggman repeats 2 times in a row "You Little..." which is stupid... Also, Sonic always runs while fighting the boss.

Night Bosses: The only bosses where you must press buttons to give additionnal damage.

Good: Exellent graphics, awesome, yet easy gameplay, good story, surprisingly good gaia gates, not much, but yet, a balance between day and night stages, boss balance(day boss, night boss, day boss,...), awesome music in both stages.

Bad: Missions, repetitive platforming(night), Adventure Fields are missing, stupid, unneeded hub village, where you need to speak to go to the gaia gate, Eggmanland day stage makes you need to go slow in the begginning and after the 2D part, which it shouldn't be like that.

Overall: 7/10: Very good game, but the fact not having at least an adventure field makes me low the overall (I still don't understand what does the 360/PS3 have more than WII/PS2 to have adventure fields, I like adventure fields so much...).

The only way for the werehog levels to be called fun is if Knuckles was the one fighting. He doesn't fit well in the story, but at least then we could see Sonic Unleashed getting a 9/10.

I had a few problems with this game. Mostly, having to gather Sun and Moon medals. Another one is the last level. It's so huge and unfair, that I went from loving it to hating it.

Chaos Zero 64 said:
Mostly, having to gather Sun and Moon medals.

You'll have to be specific when you mention the medals. Are you talking about the Wii or 360 version?

Chaos Zero 64 said:
The only way for the werehog levels to be called fun is if Knuckles was the one fighting. He doesn't fit well in the story, but at least then we could see Sonic Unleashed getting a 9/10.

HAHAHHAHAHHHAHA no... not at all...
Maybe if those parts were completely optional and skippable but as is right now, people would still have the same complaints.

Although to be blunt, I find the Werehog segments are, presently, much more fun than the Sonic segments.

Then again, maybe Holoska Day Act 1 was just a really, really bad stage.

I don't have it yet but after seeing videos, the only thing bad I can find about the game is the fact that they got rid of the old results theme.

Blue Warrior said:
Chaos Zero 64 said:
Mostly, having to gather Sun and Moon medals.

You'll have to be specific when you mention the medals. Are you talking about the Wii or 360 version?
The 360 version. I first got stuck on the Chun-Nan level, having no idea that I needed medals to continue. Then, for the Adabat Day level, I was told I needed 17 Sun Medals. I played a few levels, and probably gathered 9 or so. But then, Chip suddenly told me that I only needed 1 more.

Kroze said:
Chaos Zero 64 said:

HAHAHHAHAHHHAHA no... not at all...
Maybe if those parts were completely optional and skippable but as is right now, people would still have the same complaints.
I hated those levels at first, but once I started spending points for Combos, I started liking him. This was nearly at the end of the game, so it didn't matter much.

JEV3 said:
Chisuun said:

The thing is that it is impossible to be completely unbiased. Yes, reviews need to be unforgiving and harsh, but I don't like to see things like "this would have been so good if only..." "good going SEGA once again!" "As usual Sonic stinx" in a review. Things like this really lower my respect for the site reviewing the game.

What I do want to point out is that the ratio of Werehog to Hedgehog is a legitimate flaw, but most reviews I've seen have stressed that the Werehog is not bad, just not the same as the rest of the game. The daytime take on platforming wasn't around in SA, which is considered the golden age of 3d Sonic by some. The Werehog on the Wii implements plenty of great platforming mixed with chunky brawling, while the next-gen versions offer a more refined fighting mechanic instead.

This is the reason why I decided the game was a worthy purchase, because the Werehog is actually only bad because it doesn't match the rest and there is so much of it... it plays good in itself and I like what I've seen of it.
As of right now... You're the one making the most sense out of these reviews....

....I just had to laugh at CZ64's earlier post though.... Knuckles instead? You won't believe this: When the Were-hog was said to be a climbing, fighting version of Sonic, I wondered... What if Knuckles had been in there instead of Werehog?
But yeah.... The reason people don't like him is for this one sole reason:
He's a new transformation/character.... New characters don't ever get respect.... 'Cept Blaze, but there's a good reason why.

I think reviewers.....are a little too much biased.

Giving a lower score then a game thats unfinished,glitches,and is crap(Sonic 06) !

It's hardly an outrage, and giving a low score is not "biased". I don't know where you come up with that. they may disagree with you, but that doesn't automatically make their opinion biased. I really do wish people would stop slapping that label on reviewers in general because they don't like the way the review went. You certainly wouldn't be saying it's biased if they gave it a much higher score than it deserved, would you?

Dark Warrior said:
It's hardly an outrage, and giving a low score is not "biased". I don't know where you come up with that. they may disagree with you, but that doesn't automatically make their opinion biased. I really do wish people would stop slapping that label on reviewers in general because they don't like the way the review went. You certainly wouldn't be saying it's biased if they gave it a much higher score than it deserved, would you?

Yes I would,I'm not a DIE HARD SPNIC FANS1111

Well anyways,so reviewers think glitch killing,failing,unfinished game was better.

When it goes under 06 then......I don't know what to say.*Rolls eyes*

*edited*
What was more important?

How it played?

The story?

The character?

The graphics?

The werehog?

the objectives given?

The werehog?

or the fact that we have a decent sonic game for once?

or is it still the werehog????

Be glad the blue mutant is off his rocket chair and on his two feet again.

The were-hog is SOOO exaggerated.

I have the Wii version which got 7/10

And 360 got 4.5/10

HOW?!?

360 has - Better graphics,less were-hog,more plat-forming,more re-play value.

Also on the review,for three of the areas he put the same thing. Copy-Pasta.

Autosaver said:
The were-hog is SOOO exaggerated.

I have the Wii version which got 7/10

And 360 got 4.5/10

HOW?!?

360 has - Better graphics,less were-hog,more plat-forming,more re-play value.

Also on the review,for three of the areas he put the same thing. Copy-Pasta.

Thats hard to believe...but then again you have people out there that are fet up with failed sonic games and won't put in the effort to try it on the 360 or any system cause they fear the invisible glich pitfall.

What I think is that the Wii had more control on sonic this time making it more unique. But these are my guesses.

I'm sad, I don't have a 360 or ps3, and the wii version is worthless compared to their versions, and the ironic thing is, I sold my 360 because I didn't find any good games for it, now the good games are coming out for it and only it and ps3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Back