Sonic & the Black Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how everyone is saying how IGN didn't play the entire game, which invalidates their scores, when in fact it makes me a little bit happier each time I see it. If you know a game sucks complete and total ass, I don't think I'd want to sit through the entire game either. Just play enough of it to get a feel for it, and to experience the majority of what the game has to offer, then base a score off of that.

Besides, playing and finishing an entire game takes time. I'm sure the IGN team would rather spend that time playing/reviewing more games than finishing a single game, when the fact they had finished had no real bearing on the quality of the game. If they know it's shit after playing half of it, I don't think that fact will change in the other half.

Spazzo said:
I love how everyone is saying how IGN didn't play the entire game, which invalidates their scores, when in fact it makes me a little bit happier each time I see it. If you know a game sucks complete and total ass, I don't think I'd want to sit through the entire game either. Just play enough of it to get a feel for it, and to experience the majority of what the game has to offer, then base a score off of that.

Besides, playing and finishing an entire game takes time. I'm sure the IGN team would rather spend that time playing/reviewing more games than finishing a single game, when the fact they had finished had no real bearing on the quality of the game. If they know it's shit after playing half of it, I don't think that fact will change in the other half.

Well actually it depends, as the "extras" could fit in more category.
And they said it last 2 hours...I think
If they didn't play the whole game,that would be a lie making consumers stay away from a short game.

Chisuun said:
That's a really surprising plot twist. Probably the best I've seen from a Sonic game since the Adventure series.

Umm, I found it to be pretty obvious from the very begginning the whole time.

Guys.. that's TSSZ News. Do honestly trust that site?

Also, I'd wish people would stop complaining about IGN rating it low or whatever. It's getting old, and there's nothing you can do about. And, IGN didn't finish the game, So what?

Well, to be fair, 3.9 is a bit preposterous, but there's probably some truth in the flaws IGN points out (little difficulty, main story is very short, no advanced motion control sensing) that other reviewers appear to be echoing.

http://www.gamedaily.com/games/sonic-and-the-black-knight/wii/game-reviews/review/7479/2263/
http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/sonic...a-20090306151746679090/g-20080721153028947019
http://www.fireball20xl.com/videos/SatBK_R.php

The general consensus so far appears to be in the 6-7 range, with people stating it's more of a renter than anything unless you're a hardcore Sonic fan.

So, it would seem to me the verdict is ultimately... "eehhh"? Not a miss, really, but not a hit as far as I'm concerned.

I've just preordered my copy, and yes, that was a damn good twist in the main plot, which was very surprising and unexpected, although I already kind of knew at the start there was a twist going and such & such. I can't wait to play it when my copy comes through the post between 18th - 19th March.

I hope the controls AREN'T similar to sonic and the secret rings. The gameplay style was supposed to be like Sonic Unleashed, so I'm assuming that it will have the same controls (I hope they have an option of using a GC controller too).

The controls definitely aren't similar to SATSR, that's for sure. I bought the game without knowing what to expect at first and I liked it. Sure, the main story is short, but there's a bunch of other extra stuff you can play afterwards and don't forget about the other characters too. :) But I'm sure most of you will still be playing as Sonic.

BlazingPhoenix said:
The controls definitely aren't similar to SATSR, that's for sure. I bought the game without knowing what to expect at first and I liked it. Sure, the main story is short, but there's a bunch of other extra stuff you can play afterwards and don't forget about the other characters too. :) But I'm sure most of you will still be playing as Sonic.

I'd rather play as knuckles....

I am Officially Speechless. Why would someone do that? I hope That is the the same person and just some big understanding. If not....

Recolors are one thing, but plagiarising someone's work? Thats like a blow under the belt to the original artist.

It's stuff like this that gets me pissed off.

Art is something to be loved & respected, not to plagiarise for selfish needs like a contest.

TrueTenguMan said:
Recolors are one thing, but plagiarising someone's work? Thats like a blow under the belt to the original artist.

It's stuff like this that gets me pissed off.

Art is something to be loved & respected, not to plagiarise for selfish needs like a contest.
Bizarrely similar things happen here,some people will post a level that isn't theirs, just slightly edited (as a few extra rings, new textures ect) But I haven't seen a case like that here in ages.

I have to wait till Sept. 15 (Birthday) to get the game T_T.

Meh, oh well. From watching the levels on youtube, the game pretty much hints that Sega might end up making an MMORPG. It's just a feeling, I don't expect anyone else to think that.

I got the game and beat it. The only levels that I really enjoyed were the legacy missions. Rings, robots, speed pads, springs, and no sword slashing. THAT'S how it's supposed to be. The downsides to those missions are that you have a little less control over sonic, there's barely anything to stop you, and the levels are very short. Still, it's better than anything else in the game.

I'd give the game a 7/10.
2/5 for gameplay. (My arm hurts after playing)
5/5 for everything else. Fanservice, great design, great graphics, better voice acting (still not perfect).

Hm... I would've thought people wanted to see the SatSR formula to return. Hm....

I still enjoy it. It's fantastic. It's boss battles require... *Gasp.* Tactic?! Impressive what Sonic Team has done. Turned mere silly little fan fictions into a smorgasboard of awesomeness.

So I took the time to read the IGN review yesterday, and they really only devoted about half a page to the games flaws... the rest being a dramatic commentary about Sonic (particularly their love/hate experience with Unleashed) and praises of the presentation.

Based on what I read, the basic faults were:

* Waggle for attacking, not precision motion control
* Levels were more about hacking through hordes of enemies than any real platforming
* The bosses were stupidly easy
* The premise is an insult to the franchise
* Multiplayer is miserable
* Sonic is ridiculously slow
* Campaign is rather short

And the pros are:

* Terrific presentation values
* Decent voice acting (although crippled by horrible script)
* A large amount of fanservice
* Good music

-------------------------

Also, several people are saying that IGN did not play as Sir Percy, Sir Lancelot, or Sir Gawain, but that is probably not true because there is a huge chunk of footage in the video review devoted to their gameplay.

----------------------------

Now personally, I expected the waggle, as adding precision swordfighting would make it nearly impossible to implement effectively along with the mad speed Sonic needs, however if the levels are truly more hack-n-slash than roller coaster platforming, this probably is a legitimate concern.

Sonic being miserably slow could have to do with some kind of upgrade system like SatSR, but IGN doesn't seem satisfied with it even after they were done with it. However, I found the speed in SatSR bearable and reasonably expanded, but I'll need to get a few more opinions to find out what this means for Black-Knight.

As for the premise, being a medieval junkie, I hardly think that it will bother me. I have heard from several players that the game was legitimately good, but I probably should go through a few other critic sites to get a proper idea.

-------
In the end, IGN said that the game was "only for the truly radical most fanatical sonic fans, and if you are one of those, you've probably forgiven a whole bunch of other bad games, so why not add another one to your list"....
This does annoy me a bit as I'd rather know what kind of gameplay/genre appeal it has rather than how stupid I'd have to be to want it, but considering I liked Sonic Unleashed and Secret Rings, that probably means that very little there would really bother me as much.

Overall, I'll ignore IGN's rating, but its low enough that I have to make sure that I know why it got it. As it is though, I'll probably get this game when the price drops... just as I did with NiGHTS.

SRB2's wiseman has spoken.

Anyway...

Spazzo said:
If they know it's shit after playing half of it, I don't think that fact will change in the other half.

Im gonna have to agree with that. But from the articles i've read on unleashed and the just reccent SaTbk, I afraid IGN has kept a grudge that should of been dumped.

SaTbk wasn't what I would call, the best game ever either, but countless complaining from IGN is starting to make a kindergarden class look mature. All im saying is, the perfect games we were expecting were a downer & lets just continue with life.

Though if sega had beta-testers ((that don't appear to sound like 7 year olds)) who tested the sonic games properly, then their would of been less problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back