Sonic rom hacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaddy the guy

Professional ass-merchant
Everyone knows about how half the people at Sonic Retro are in to ROM hacking. I happen to be one of them, even if I am not actually a member there, and I have but one problem with ROM hacking. I don't know how. I know you're going say flame at me for being a noob, but hey, lay off the only twelve year-old on the forums. Does anyone have a good way to teach me to use ESEII(Erasel Sonic Editor 2)? I would really appreciate it.

This isn't a rom hacking community so I'm not sure why you'd think that everybody would know how to help you. I've seen like... three Sonic MD hacks come from SRB2ers ever. What's wrong with just going to the Sonic Retro forums with your question?

I don't have an account there, and the only thing that I am allowed to use this email for is here, the SRB2 message boards.

Ah! I know how to rom hack! I used to be pretty good at it when that was my thing. First, you'll want to download a Sonic 2 DisAssembly from Retro (You can find the XenoWhril 2007 DisASM on the wiki) Next, you'll want to download a number off tools. A few of these off the top of my head being SonSpriteED and SonED2. I also believe that there are a few tutorials on how to start with these programs either on the forums or on the retro Wiki. But of course, if you want some more personal help, you can always drop me a PM.
Although, I'd like to warn you now, it is /not/ as easy as it looks. Rom hacking is incredibly tedious and painful, and certain things will only come easy after a lot of crash and burns. But if you're really up to it, then like I said, hit me up with a PM and I'll help you as best as I can.

I don't have an account there.

Shadon in the first post of the thread said:
Everyone knows about how half the people at Sonic Retro are in to ROM hacking. I happen to be one of them.

Anyway, isn't discussion of ROM-related material not allowed on the forums here, anyway? Besides, I doubt you'll be able to pull off a good hack, as most Sonic ROM Hacks aren't very decent.

Try asking the folks at Sonic Retro instead, as I'll Begin stated earlier.

I don't have an account there, and the only thing that I am allowed to use this email for is here, the SRB2 message boards.
Try http://10minutemail.com/

Anyway, isn't discussion of ROM-related material not allowed on the forums here, anyway? Besides, I doubt you'll be able to pull off a good hack, as most Sonic ROM Hacks aren't very decent.
No, it's allowed (there was even once a subforum dedicated to a hack that Mystic made) and distributing emulators and rom hack IPS files are fine (as it only holds the changes you made), but you're not allowed to distribute the roms themselves or tell people where to get them.

Besides, I doubt you'll be able to pull off a good hack, as most Sonic ROM Hacks aren't very decent.
Don't discourage him man. Everyone starts somewhere, practise makes perfect, and I for one would like to see what comes from this.

Last edited:
I'm not allowed to get another email account, either. I would like to hear about that subforum, though. But please, I would really rather have a link to somewhere I can get a tutorial that teaches you step by step from the start, rather than waste more of your time.

To be honest, if you aren't allowed to use the internet to look things up and ask questions, you aren't ever going to be able to make a proper Sonic ROM hack. I'd ask your parents if you can make an account on Retro to ask your questions properly, instead of trying to use the SRB2MB like some kind of person to ask whenever you have problems doing things. We (and Retro for that matter) aren't here to be your personal tech support.

I remember Sonic Retro has a community hacking guide that can assist you, without even getting an account actually, unless I am mistaken. If you want to ask someone from Retro, you might need to look around other forums for their members, due to their validation system which essentially keeps the entry airtight for only specific types of members, which kind? No clue.

But aside from that, Mystic has a good point, We (using it loosely, as in a small group of people here) specialize in Srb2 based modding, even if some of us do know how to make rom hacks, it makes more sense to ask the community who essentially carry the guide for it.

Basically, their validation system gives people 20 posts to prove that they are a rational thinker and can contribute to the community. It's a learning experience, but don't waste your posts talking about how much you love Generations or hate Generations because it included Classic/Modern Sonic. Keep those posts to clarify what you can't find in the hacking guide or specifics you can't figure out; alternatively, start posting your hack and taking criticism well.

To add to Boinciel's point, be sure to mention or provide links to whatever hacking work you've done so far, at least in one of your validation posts. I think that would make you more noticeable to Retro's admins and increase the chances that they do grant you full membership. I generally like the people at Retro, but I have noticed a lot of seemingly-rational people who nevertheless have used their 20 trial posts months ago.

Now would be a good time to join. There are no new major Sonic games on the horizon and the number of people requesting validation are probably down to a relative trickle. Good luck in convincing your folks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back