Sonic Robo Blast 2 Pet Peeves

Because it's not really the lightning shield if you just put attraction's ability on it. Then it's just the attraction shield.

Fair, I didn't know this. I still don't think it's a great design choice, though. The game certainly didn't convey it extremely well, in any case.

I don't think they're balanced as-is. Frankly, I think Sonic just needs a standard homing attack in SRB2 to begin with, but my point is that having eight types of shield monitors is pretty redundant when there's about three useful active abilities between them.
You mean Whirlwind, Force, Attraction, Elemental, Armageddon? That's 5, the Sonic 3 shields are just included for the challenge stages and probably so noone has to mod them into the game idk. The only "not useful abilities" you speak of are like force and elemental, but elemental is pretty useful in techno hill (the worst zone).
Also, a homing attack would be horrible in srb2, but it is a charability. Might have come from "adventure example" whatever that is.

1. It's also the Attraction Shield's active ability. It's even better here tbh.
  2. You mean Final Demo's "SA Example"?
Yeah SA Example. If sonic had homing itd be redundant cause of attraction and would absolutely wreck bosses, the plus is you could probs make homing attack chain sonic only routes maybe???? But like enemies arent really in your way in srb2 so its not like you need a homing attack you can just jump on them or just skip them

Fair, I didn't know this. I still don't think it's a great design choice, though. The game certainly didn't convey it extremely well, in any case.
One of the underwater attraction shields in DSZ1 has a bustable wall right by it, breakable by pushing the mines (or directly as Knuckles or Amy) to reveal an invincibility monitor. I think that's a good way to convey that ring attraction only works underwater if you're invincible.
I don't think they're balanced as-is. Frankly, I think Sonic just needs a standard homing attack in SRB2 to begin with, but my point is that having eight types of shield monitors is pretty redundant when there's about three useful active abilities between them.
The eight shields built into SRB2 do have some redundancy with each other, which is why they aren't all meant to be used together. The five SRB2 shields (whirlwind, attraction, elemental, force, and armageddon) are their own set meant to complement each other, and the S3&K shields (flame, bubble, and lightning) are a different set meant to complement each other. Mixing the shields together creates conflicts and redundancy, which is why it's recommended for people making levels to be careful when doing so. This is why, for instance, Azure Temple has no elemental shields as of 2.2 and instead uses bubble shields.

You mean Whirlwind, Force, Attraction, Elemental, Armageddon? That's 5, the Sonic 3 shields are just included for the challenge stages and probably so noone has to mod them into the game idk. The only "not useful abilities" you speak of are like force and elemental, but elemental is pretty useful in techno hill (the worst zone).
I guess if you're going for harder-to-reach secrets you could kinda use elemental's active for it, but that's still pretty specific and a stretch, given that it doesn't always give you the depth you need. And yeah, I know the Sonic 3 shields are not part of the main campaign, that's part of the issue. Each of them feels more deliberate and universal in and of itself than the SRB2 ones do as a cohesive group.
Also, a homing attack would be horrible in srb2, but it is a charability. Might have come from "adventure example" whatever that is.
I can't really agree, personally. The original idea of the homing attack was to compensate for 3D space giving you difficulty in landing on enemies. This is the same reason Mario got punches and kicks in Mario 64 or the spin in Galaxy. Like I said, 2.2 has shown the way broadening design can be massively beneficial, so having a more reliable method of attacking, at least for Sonic, would steer things away from the demand for precision that previous versions brought.

The homing attack SRB2 itself has, yeah, it's not a great one. It's a little too jerky and the floaty physics mean that the air dash doesn't give you a kick of momentum the way it does in something like the Adventure games (why Generations and 06 kill your speed the moment it ends eludes me), so if that's what you meant I'm sorry.
The eight shields built into SRB2 do have some redundancy with each other, which is why they aren't all meant to be used together. The five SRB2 shields (whirlwind, attraction, elemental, force, and armageddon) are their own set meant to complement each other, and the S3&K shields (flame, bubble, and lightning) are a different set meant to complement each other. Mixing the shields together creates conflicts and redundancy, which is why it's recommended for people making levels to be careful when doing so. This is why, for instance, Azure Temple has no elemental shields as of 2.2 and instead uses bubble shields.
The SRB2 set is either redundant or useless on it's own, is my point. My other point is that the Sonic 3 shields are flatly better and I'd rather see them replace the 2.2 ones for the most part. The best argument I see against this is that whirlwind giving you leeway with falling off of platforms is pretty great, but you could give that to lightning too.

I guess if you're going for harder-to-reach secrets you could kinda use elemental's active for it, but that's still pretty specific and a stretch, given that it doesn't always give you the depth you need. And yeah, I know the Sonic 3 shields are not part of the main campaign, that's part of the issue. Each of them feels more deliberate and universal in and of itself than the SRB2 ones do as a cohesive group.

I can't really agree, personally. The original idea of the homing attack was to compensate for 3D space giving you difficulty in landing on enemies. This is the same reason Mario got punches and kicks in Mario 64 or the spin in Galaxy. Like I said, 2.2 has shown the way broadening design can be massively beneficial, so having a more reliable method of attacking, at least for Sonic, would steer things away from the demand for precision that previous versions brought.

The homing attack SRB2 itself has, yeah, it's not a great one. It's a little too jerky and the floaty physics mean that the air dash doesn't give you a kick of momentum the way it does in something like the Adventure games (why Generations and 06 kill your speed the moment it ends eludes me), so if that's what you meant I'm sorry.

The SRB2 set is either redundant or useless on it's own, is my point. My other point is that the Sonic 3 shields are flatly better and I'd rather see them replace the 2.2 ones for the most part. The best argument I see against this is that whirlwind giving you leeway with falling off of platforms is pretty great, but you could give that to lightning too.
If the 3&K shields weren’t included at all, you probably wouldn’t be complaining. Not every single shield is in every single level, so not one shield ability is going to be considered redundant.

(Also I’d consider Force Shield to be pretty useful as that can take two hits and stop you if you overshoot a jump)

I don't see the usefulness of a Homing attack, there's no reason for you to go out of your way to attack enemies, and Sonic doesn't need to have a combat based tool, he would have a platforming based tool because it takes alot of things from Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3, &k. Homing Attack wouldn't really help with things such as crawla/monitor bouncing from very high. I think you probably just want to home attack every badnik, when its never necesarry to do so really.

If the 3&K shields weren’t included at all, you probably wouldn’t be complaining. Not every single shield is in every single level, so not one shield ability is going to be considered redundant.
Well, sure I would. Elemental and Force's actives would still be relatively similar, and their actives along with Armageddon's would still not be very useful.
I don't see the usefulness of a Homing attack, there's no reason for you to go out of your way to attack enemies, and Sonic doesn't need to have a combat based tool, he would have a platforming based tool because it takes alot of things from Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3, &k.
That's why it has an air dash, the thing Sonic literally has in SRB2 right now.
Homing Attack wouldn't really help with things such as crawla/monitor bouncing from very high. I think you probably just want to home attack every badnik, when its never necesarry to do so really.
I'd advise against trying to tell me what I want, thanks.

Well, sure I would. Elemental and Force's actives would still be relatively similar, and their actives along with Armageddon's would still not be very useful.

you want more thok

srb20158.gif

The problem with Homing Attack is that the level design is not made for that, so it would not be as useful as in Sonic Adventure,

for example, let's say there is a platform you want to reach. and you plan to use the air dash to get there but ho an enemy stood up front of you and homing was triggered and you go to him instead of where you wanted to go, that would be annoying.

The problem with Homing Attack is that the level design is not made for that, so it would not be as useful as in Sonic Adventure,

for example, let's say there is a platform you want to reach. and you plan to use the air dash to get there but ho an enemy stood up front of you and homing was triggered and you go to him instead of where you wanted to go, that would be annoying.
This could be remedied by allowing the player to choose when they want to home in and when they don't. One way of achieving this could be via mapping homing attack to a separate input, such as spin. Sonic doesn't usually use spin for much of anything while in midair, so pressing spin midair to homing attack and double jumping normally for thok would allow for a lot of control.

Alternatively, a lock-on feature could be used in which you hold a button to lock on to nearby things in front of you and the thok is replaced by homing attack while locked on.

There's likely a number of other ways the same general result of giving the player control over when they home in and when they don't as well. Depending on implementation however, it could potentially have ramifications on other characters movesets as well. For instance, binding spin to homing attack while in midair could cause people to question why other characters don't have special secondary midair abilities bound to spin. Additionally, said secondary abilities would be replaced with shield abilities whenever the player has one.

And even in the first Sonic Adventure some sections with flying enemies made for the homing attack could be skipped simply with a spindash followed by a jump.

But sadly Sonic Adventure 2 started the trend of having trails of flying enemies only made for that (which became worse in Sonic 4).

I'm glad they made them less common in Unleashed.

I swear,i lost more than 10 lives in BC Act 1,that Metal.S finger wawing evrytime and stupid,anoying drowning that comes out of nowhere,EVEN IF THAT'S A SPACE SHIP IT JUST HAPPENS TO KILL ME BECAUSE OF RANDOM PLACED DROWNING(sorry for bad writing i happen to have rage out sometimes but i realy hate black core act 1)

I swear,i lost more than 10 lives in BC Act 1,that Metal.S finger wawing evrytime and stupid,anoying drowning that comes out of nowhere,EVEN IF THAT'S A SPACE SHIP IT JUST HAPPENS TO KILL ME BECAUSE OF RANDOM PLACED DROWNING(sorry for bad writing i happen to have rage out sometimes but i realy hate black core act 1)
According to the official SRB2 2.2 OST, Metal does something with the air... i don't remember what, but he does it so you drown.

According to the official SRB2 2.2 OST, Metal does something with the air... i don't remember what, but he does it so you drown.
It’s his ventilation system not being able to cool himself off

Edit: this is the explanation as to why Metal drowns in space. Not sure why others drown in the race lol

It’s his ventilation system not being able to cool himself off

Edit: this is the explanation as to why Metal drowns in space. Not sure why others drown in the race lol
No i mean that Metal does something with the air in the final chamber in order to make the others characters drown.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back