Sonic Generations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, you guys are missing the point. My goal here is to get you guys to stop mentioning his web site here entirely. Posting this type of thing as a sticky defeats the whole idea, as the only reason I posted that to begin with was because I think a lot of people here simply didn't understand the reasoning behind not allowing you to use TSSZ links as a source.

Optimally, this post right here will be the last time anyone says a thing about TSSZ, his web site, or Tristan Oliver's name on the SRB2 forums. I'm quite aware that it'll eventually come up again, but please understand why I'm sweeping it under the rug and will sweep it under the rug in the future as I don't want to even bring up his web site to avoid giving him advertising revenue as you guys satisfy your curiosity.

So unless you guys have anything more directly to say in opposition, I would personally prefer this topic go back to what we were talking about before someone brought TSSZ up yet again.

Last edited:
I beat the HD version last week.

Despite being a firm believer that the Hedgehog Engine/Modern Sonic gameplay is the wrong gameplay direction for the series, the implementation of the style is the strongest here in the three games it's appeared in, mostly because there is some seriously solid level design in some of the levels. Only real complaint is that Modern Sonic controls...quite a bit awkwardly when slowed down. This wasn't usually a problem in Sonic Unleashed, since the majority of that game had levels centered around the concept of GO GO GO, but Generations has you slowing down a lot more to do some 3D platforming and so on, so it gets rather awkward. I don't really like Modern's jump mechanics too much, either, and I could swear there is the most minute amount of input lag as well.

But it really is a stellar game by the standards of the Sonic series, though it's nowhere near a fantastic game. I think the reason the game has a rough average of 8/10 is because it is critiqued in relation to the rest of the Sonic series, because if amount of technical effort put in by the dev team to ensure the highest possible quality was compared to a critic's general gaming standard, I couldn't see this getting more than a 7 of 10, because modern Sonic still feels slippery and the quality is inconsistent throughout the game, since it starts off great until you get to Planet Wisp and then length and execution of these levels just doesn't feel right, and then you get to the final boss which, to be completely honest, is a horrible fucking boss due to terrible design, terrible controls, a near complete lack of real idea as to what you actually need to be doing and the CONSTANT vocal "support" being given by Sonic's friends. To be honest, that last boss might, in a few ways, be the embodiment of what's made Sonic so wrong in the last several years.

But regardless, Classic Sonic controls well despite a few physics flaws (a big one is the lack of proper rolling physics, but that was only annoying occasionally) and his levels are designed quite well, and despite his awkward controls Modern Sonic is also really fun to play.

Just that FUCKING final boss, ugh.

I beat the HD version last week.

Despite being a firm believer that the Hedgehog Engine/Modern Sonic gameplay is the wrong gameplay direction for the series, the implementation of the style is the strongest here in the three games it's appeared in, mostly because there is some seriously solid level design in some of the levels. Only real complaint is that Modern Sonic controls...quite a bit awkwardly when slowed down. This wasn't usually a problem in Sonic Unleashed, since the majority of that game had levels centered around the concept of GO GO GO, but Generations has you slowing down a lot more to do some 3D platforming and so on, so it gets rather awkward. I don't really like Modern's jump mechanics too much, either, and I could swear there is the most minute amount of input lag as well.

But it really is a stellar game by the standards of the Sonic series, though it's nowhere near a fantastic game. I think the reason the game has a rough average of 8/10 is because it is critiqued in relation to the rest of the Sonic series, because if amount of technical effort put in by the dev team to ensure the highest possible quality was compared to a critic's general gaming standard, I couldn't see this getting more than a 7 of 10, because modern Sonic still feels slippery and the quality is inconsistent throughout the game, since it starts off great until you get to Planet Wisp and then length and execution of these levels just doesn't feel right, and then you get to the final boss which, to be completely honest, is a horrible fucking boss due to terrible design, terrible controls, a near complete lack of real idea as to what you actually need to be doing and the CONSTANT vocal "support" being given by Sonic's friends. To be honest, that last boss might, in a few ways, be the embodiment of what's made Sonic so wrong in the last several years.

But regardless, Classic Sonic controls well despite a few physics flaws (a big one is the lack of proper rolling physics, but that was only annoying occasionally) and his levels are designed quite well, and despite his awkward controls Modern Sonic is also really fun to play.

Just that FUCKING final boss, ugh.
Judging by what i've heard on some forums and seen on youtube, the final boss on the 3ds is a lot better.

"Looks like a homing missile! Dodge it sonic!" - one of sonic's friends every 10-30 seconds of gameplay.
I do agree that the last boss is horrible on both versions, but at least the 3DS one is enjoyable... Till after about 3-4 hits then it's an annoying "haha you can't dodge meh hands!" As modern trying to get to him... I rely wish 3DS missions didn't cost play coins, as I don't bring my 3DS with me anywhere, ergo I don't earn them..

I found the final boss for the 3DS version quite easy personally. It was the same patterns over and over again, so throughout it you didn't have to learn much.
Though that's the same in the HD version, they seemed to make the final boss movement not relevant to the tube you're in. I was actually stuck to the floor because the tube curved up slightly faster than I could move up.

I can confirm that both versions have fucking shit final bosses. I can't even beat the 3DS one.
When Eggman(s?) approach you on modern, when he's near you after finishing boosting towards you after showing you it can use it's teeth, use B+^ and boost, the game will then spaz the fuck out and you will magicly appear underneath him when you stop boosting, press the homing attack button and boom you hit it's core. G'job.

I'll admit the hardest and cheapest part of the 3DS final boss is when it uses those clocks, but maybe you should stop boosting when one comes nearby to find where to go, and then boost afterwards once you got through it.

I can confirm that both versions have fucking shit final bosses. I can't even beat the 3DS one.
On other various forums I go to (Sonic Stadium, Sega Forums) a lot of people have been stating that the 3DS one is leagues ahead of the HD one.

I finally got a platinum on this game! It is my first platinum too. :D

On other various forums I go to (Sonic Stadium, Sega Forums) a lot of people have been stating that the 3DS one is leagues ahead of the HD one.

I finally got a platinum on this game! It is my first platinum too. :D

You know, I try to be open minded about things, but there are times when an opinion is simply and officially objectively wrong. How does anybody possibly even begin to like the 3DS version? Please explain, I'm really quite curious.

Also... am I the only one a little sad they haven't started making some decent mods for the PC version yet? I mean, compared to a Genesis game I'm sure it;s pretty hard to edit, but still. I want my Flying Battery.

EDIT: Oh, I see what Autosaver was saying now. In that case, I'd say you're right, although neither final boss was particularly great. Although I'd say it would be a lot better if they used that Sonic Boom cover from that one Sonic con before the game came out. Sega was really paranoid about not using some kind of vocal theme this time around, for whatever reason. I mean, they're not usually THAT great, but I've never minded them much.

Last edited:
You know, I try to be open minded about things, but there are times when an opinion is simply and officially objectively wrong. How does anybody possibly even begin to like the 3DS version? Please explain, I'm really quite curious.
Context, my boy. He's talking about just the final bosses of these two versions and not the entire game.

For all those who find Time Eater boring, I recommend playing it on Hard Mode along with Endless Possibilities theme, it adds some fun to the gameplay... Only if it weren't for the "Homing Missile" ear rape...

Well since I have no idea as to WHAT I'm about to click on. . .

. . .

Alright, that's a nice character hack set up right there. I am keen on the idea of having different playable characters for these stages, but since they would simply be skin replacements, it would have been pointless. . .well unless Sonic Team came up with the idea of implementing a Vs mode similar to Sonic 2's along with different speeds, abilities and routes each character to take (Sonic Advanced anyone?).

Man, I miss when you could play as Sonic's friends in the main series. I'm curious to see how all those characters would work in a "Modern Sonic" setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back