Sonic Colors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a video that listed "Reasons why Sonic 06 sucks"
There was a comparison of a scene in a Sonic 06 teaser, and the final product. Sonic was in this waterfall place and it looked absoultley beuatiful. There was was really detailed, the rocks Sonic jumped on, Sonic's model had a spinning animation, it ran perfect. Then, he pulled footage from the game, and compared it. The final product was **** compared to it.
Tomorrow when my internets aren't so fucked up(dling some games) I'll post that video. It was made by BlazeHedgehog.

Sonic Adventure is pretty slow compared to Colors. Sonic Colors does have multiple paths and secrets, but it isn't really exploration friendly. Its more like a racing game in the 3D sections.
Like SpiritCrusher said, the game is for everyone. Iizuka even said he wanted it to be really friendly to children. So he put a big focus on that.

The way he said it was what threw me off. He basically said "Hey guys, don't be disappointed if this game is too easy. It's for kids!"

I know a good some of kids games that are good(Spongebob Squarepants movie game is a example) and hard. For kids =/= easy.

It's like he was using it as an excuse and I really wish he would reword it.

Sonic Colors does have multiple paths and secrets, but it isn't really exploration friendly.
No, the boost isn't exploration friendly. Sonic can jump, he can move in several directions, he has special abilities that can let him reach different areas. There is no reason why he shouldn't be able to work in a wide-open environment.

Its more like a racing game in the 3D sections.
So was Unleashed on the Wii! And what that taught me is that racing games are boring if there are no opponents to race against and no significant hazards to worry about. That was Unleashed Wii all the way up until Eggmanland. Is that what we're going to get in Sonic Colors? Do those sound like good 3D segments to you?

Like SpiritCrusher said, the game is for everyone. Iizuka even said he wanted it to be really friendly to children. So he put a big focus on that.
Bullshit. Every single Sonic game that came for the Genesis was child friendly. They didn't hold the player's hand until the finish line, Colors doesn't need to do the same thing.

Bullshit. Every single Sonic game that came for the Genesis was child friendly. They didn't hold the player's hand until the finish line, Colors doesn't need to do the same thing.
As I said, multiple paths in 2D are much less confusing than multiple paths in 3D, unless you make the splits really obvious (e.g. fork in the road). Overlapping paths, like what we have a lot in SRB2, would be total overkill. That is not an excuse for making the 3D segments so dull, but it's probably the reason behind not making it very exploration-friendly.

So was Unleashed on the Wii! And what that taught me is that racing games are boring if there are no opponents to race against and no significant hazards to worry about. That was Unleashed Wii all the way up until Eggmanland. Is that what we're going to get in Sonic Colors? Do those sound like good 3D segments to you?
I don't know about you, but people like those 3D sections. Sonic Colors is going to shrink those segments so I don't see what all the worrying is about.
BS as in you don't like it, or BS as you think its fake? As Iizuka confirmed that he wanted it to be friendly. And said that M&S was one of the reasons why. It appealed to casuals and it was easy to play.
No, the boost isn't exploration friendly. Sonic can jump, he can move in several directions, he has special abilities that can let him reach different areas. There is no reason why he shouldn't be able to work in a wide-open environment.
Yeah, there really isn't a reason why. Every single Sonic game can be asked this question.
WTF isn't Sonic playing like his Sonic Adventure counterpart? This game could be fully 3D, no boost segments, more exploration, less on-rails or hold right and press a. We just can't answer the question.

To be honest, I like the Sonic Colors set-up. Those 3D segments look really fun to play, then you get shifted to 2D and you can use Wisp abilities. There are many many routes and alternate paths to choose from. Of course this game isn't going to appeal to you. If you aren't liking what you're seeing, then Sonic 4 might be a better choice for you.

Last edited:
I don't know about you, but people like those 3D sections. Sonic Colors is going to shrink those segments so I don't see what all the worrying is about.
The worrying is about the fact that nothing happens in these segments, and they only make the game longer without adding anything useful. And "some people like it" is hardly an argument when we're talking about personal opinions.

BS as in you don't like it, or BS as you think its fake?
Bullshit as in "you don't need to cut down on paths just to make it children-friendly", I guess.

I played classic Sonic as a child and I never was confused because there were a ton of alternate paths. The only time I got truly stuck was that god-forsaken barrel.

I really dislike the opinion that just because a game is for kids it needs to be retarded simple. Kids' games can have just as much depth as games aimed solely for adults, and personally some of my favorite franchises (Pokemon, Mario, etc.) have kids as their primary audience.

As I said, multiple paths in 2D are much less confusing than multiple paths in 3D, unless you make the splits really obvious (e.g. fork in the road). Overlapping paths, like what we have a lot in SRB2, would be total overkill.
Call me when I need to repeat it again. Exploration in 3D can get kids confused.

Last edited:
As I said, multiple paths in 2D are much less confusing than multiple paths in 3D, unless you make the splits really obvious (e.g. fork in the road). Overlapping paths, like what we have a lot in SRB2, would be total overkill. That is not an excuse for making the 3D segments so dull, but it's probably the reason behind not making it very exploration-friendly.

But the game can be straight forward without forcing the player onto a narrow path. Sonic Adventure had plenty of areas that weren't effectively on-rails; I don't see why Colors can't follow the same example.

And are we talking about multi-layered level design or wider areas?

The 3D sections have no multi layered level designs, however. If you're going to base a children game on restricting that, why not have at least one alternate path in the 3D sections?

It feels like the 3D parts are loading screens to the 2D sections.

"The 2D and 3D views actually have different types of strengths. With 3D, the strength is the sense of speed - you can feel the speed through the forward view. But if you just concentrate on the 3D view, in a way it's like a racing game, and you need to get through platforming and action elements as well. That's why we need to balance it out with a 2D sidescrolling view, which works much better on platforming games. This balance is a very important part of the game. It's not about the difficulty in bringing these two mixtures [together], it's that they are really needed to get the high speed and platforming elements to make sense in this one title. The balance isn't always consistent between the stages. Some are 2D throughout, others are 3D throughout; it just depends on the stage. We looked into what view makes sense for that stage."
Yeah, you could say that the 3D part is just a racing filler. But they do balance it out with 2D. So I don't think its that bad.

It doesn't matter how good or bad it is when we know that the game would be better without them. You know, the racing game argument hardly works considering there is nobody to race against.

A lot of the time, that's exactly what they are.
And that's exactly my point. You're taking "racing" in a literal sense, apparently, considering that you were asking, "Who are you racing against?"
People are comparing the blandness of 3D sections, to, say, Sonic Rush Adventure -- it's practically all running with not much gameplay, and it's more of a cutscene than anything else.

Anybody see the "Special Edition" for Sonic Colors? I don't know if it's been posted yet.
http://gameinformer.com/b/news/arch...olors-getting-wii-and-ds-special-edition.aspx
That looks REALLY ugly to me. The limbs just look so terribly ugly, and the articulation points are obvious but in a very ugly way. I'd be embarrassed to have this on my shelf along with my other figures. The holes in the hand don't help either, even if they are to hold the wisps.
As the article states this was for the Australian editions, so who knows if they'll be for any other state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back