• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sonic 3D Robo Blast; A working tittle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just putting random tags and laziness was directed at recolors but I should have removed it because of confusion XD

Too bad I can only see videos and screenshots. I hope that someday this mod can work in software mode.

But thanks for the video, Dark Metal.

I was just putting random tags and laziness was directed at recolors but I should have removed it because of confusion XD

There's no recolors here either:P Anyway I'm glad someone got it working and Md2 models look great running around my maps! We should get together in a net game sometime. You can tell me what's good, what's not and jazz like that.

Also, are you using PNG edition or just CB.I've been running into trouble running it on CB.

Too bad I can only see videos and screenshots. I hope that someday this mod can work in software mode.

But thanks for the video, Dark Metal.

I don't think software mode can render the slopes. I'm not sure if it will always be like that. But, it is sad for the good people using software.

Some of my original maps were actually built for software but the project almost died because I got tired of drawing all the stairs. (especially for some of the more complicated structures) The whole thing took off when I discovered CB.

I get an out of memory error in Spring Stadium 1

I used to get that allot too. Spring Stadium clearly still has allot of optimizing to go through. At what point does the game start getting jittery? Or does it just crash? If so, where? Since you also got it working we should also try a net game.

Last edited:
I am using PNG edition. There isn't any difference as I can see between the two versions but how the textures are used. PNG uses TX_START and TX_END and vanilla CB uses the old F_START and P_START. There isn't any reason at all to use the regular CB if you are using TX_START.

I also got an out of memory error in Spring stadium 1, but all 3 times it happened it was around the 10 minute mark while playing the stage.

I am using PNG edition. There isn't any difference as I can see between the two versions but how the textures are used. PNG uses TX_START and TX_END and vanilla CB uses the old F_START and P_START. There isn't any reason at all to use the regular CB if you are using TX_START.

O.K. that's right... All the textures are are in TX_START because having multiple copies of them just made the building interface a mess. And keeping them all in PNG format made importing a breeze.

I'll try an experiment in which, after the building phase I'll Copy flats and textures to their respective places in F_START and P_START. I'll keep the names consistent. Hopefully, this should draw flats and textures properly for people not using PNG. Weather or not it works, weather or not I decide to do this for the release remains to be seen.

I also got an out of memory error in Spring stadium 1, but all 3 times it happened it was around the 10 minute mark while playing the stage.

Thank you. I've never spent that much time in SSZ during a single test so that's helpful.

AFAIK Spring Stadium is the largest map to be built in CB yet. Looking at the other zones for 3D Blast, it may also be the overall biggest in the entire game. If I can make it work, it will be good sign for the rest of the game.

The biggest problem, is all the varying terrain makes it hard if not impossible to merge sectors from across the board. There's also a hell of allot of slopes. I also noticed that I accidentally kept the retracting floor flowers in one section. That's definitely not helping as I know they can be very expensive in terms of memory. Ultimately, SSZ's paths may turn out to be narrower than I ever wanted. Less slopes in the thok barrier. And more thok barrier in more places should keep it from drawing so much at a time.

rainbow_dash_approved_by_ambris-d4bdn33.png

To be exact, I've put my sarcastic look when I first saw this topic, but it sure is awesome. I look forward to your results and am pretty much going to download SRB2CB again. Heck, I'm not the only one who likes it, after all.

Keep up the good work!

I appreciate your honesty, Steel and I'm glad you've had a change of heart. I've put off other projects in my life to see this through and make it as awesome as I could, so it thrills me to see people taking a liking to it!

While I'm here, I'll let y'all know that I have found a fun and not completely necessary way to work Flickies back into the game! No, I'm not going to tell you what it is.

Map building will slow down while I SOC the rest of the badies for GGZ and start Spriting/ animating/ SOCin' 3D Blast style flickies! As before, and those of who read my SOC data and know there are no recolors in my wad. The flickies will be inspired by the game but completely original and drawn by me!

For the record, The closest I've come to any recolored anything are the palm trees for GGZ and the middle textures of GGZ walls. They proved complicated to reproduce and were perfectly fine in their original 3D Blast state. I simply altered their pallet to fit SRB2's. However, I did manually draw the tiny flowers on the middle wall textures:)

I have to say its pretty awesome. Though, could it be possible to have that camera angle like in the game itself or is that not possible with SRB2?

I have to say its pretty awesome. Though, could it be possible to have that camera angle like in the game itself or is that not possible with SRB2?

I actually saw something on youtube that demonstrates such a camera angle. So I know it's possible but the first- person view is going to come in handy because I'm building everything a little differently (i.e. stuff behinds things) So I could, but in this game it would be taking away from what I'm doing.

I don't think it should be an isometric viewing point anyway. I think it should have a different feel from the original game.

Speaking of which, I wonder if it would be good to modify some of the enemies to make it work better for SRB2. Maybe consider making that one enemy that fires every 90 degrees to every 45 degrees?

I don't think it should be an isometric viewing point anyway. I think it should have a different feel from the original game.

Speaking of which, I wonder if it would be good to modify some of the enemies to make it work better for SRB2. Maybe consider making that one enemy that fires every 90 degrees to every 45 degrees?

I had, at one point the turrets doing exactly that but I changed it back, for reasons that are beyond me. But now that someone else thinks it's a good idea I'll give it another shoot.

I've finished the sprites and SOCs for everything in GG except the leaping caterpillar. (GGZ is beautiful when it's filled with robots that want to kill you) However, since the landscape is stretch out 200%, all the enemies feel really small, and their attacks seem petty and nonthreatening. (but I have been whacked a few times without expecting it, which is always good!) Ultimately, I may wind up redoing the sprites and adding more of my own personal flair. (rather than just porting them as accurate as I can) This means they'll be bigger, scarier and I may change up their attack patterns.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned an MD2 pack. I've gotten far more comfortable with SOCs since then, and now that I actually know what some of this stuff means I may very well go that route.

Over 4,000 Veiws!?

Y'all know how to make a dude feel special:D

I've only been here for about 6 weeks and I joined with some pretty high expectations.

I had questions I needed answered and ideas I wanted to share. Y'all didn't didn't disappoint! Before I got here I was just tinkering with basic to moderate mapping concepts. Now I'm writing SOCs and level headers, spriting and breathing life into an army of custom bad-nicks, adjusting global settings and compiling this neat full- game wad!

Just wanted y'all to know, YOU ROCK!

Just wanted y'all to know, YOU ROCK!

We should be saying that to you because you're doing an awesome job on this. Question though, what are you going to do with the Special Stages? If I remembered correctly, you move automatically while collecting rings to meet the ring requirement.

What About the Special Stages?

We should be saying that to you because you're doing an awesome job on this. Question though, what are you going to do with the Special Stages? If I remembered correctly, you move automatically while collecting rings to meet the ring requirement.

Hey, thanks:D

I've been giving the special stages some thought for quite some time. One of my first ideas was to have the entire track made out of a speed pad but a quick experiment showed me that was a really bad idea. The player keeps flashing due to the temp inadvisability and though the player stays on the same pad it keeps making its whooshing noise.

Another ides involves an invisible poly object following behind you, moving you forward and keeping you from going backwards. My worry about that is it crushing you against stairs.

I could always make the player really punch the clock so they don't even think about moving backwards.

Then there's always "Who cares if you move backwards" After all this is supposed to have a pretty different feel from the original game. To make it even more interesting I don't think there's' going to be any invisible borders keeping you safely on the track. MWAHAHAAA!

What I would really like to do is keep the gateways as to how you get to special stages, where the gateways are in the zones and transport you there to return you afterwards. This may not be possible but if it is then there will also be a new Sonic edition for Tails and Knuckles to venture through. The gateways to which will be in new hiding places. If this works I would use dummy sprites of the characters for the gateways:D

However, I've recently read a thread on not being able to make more than the original number of special stages. (which is 7 and I plan on making 21) This is due to how their numbered and configured, so this might not work at all.

As always, I'm open to suggestions!

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

I have a feeling that Volcano Valley will be epic.

Volcano Valley's gonna knock your socks off.

I've started changing some color schemes to breath a new life into the game. At this point the only thing I'm really trying to keep as accurate as possible are the original tiled running spaces and their heights relative to each other. (it wouldn't be 3D blast without this element staying intact) As well as rings, enemy placement and stuff like that. Everything else is fair game. To it, VVZ is not going to be a bunch of red and brown walls (like all other volcano zones in existence) NO!

VVZ is going to be harsh inhospitable, unforgiving environment with toxic vapor wafting over pools of magma. I'm changing it's main color to dull greys and blacks while lowering global light. All this is going to make the magma really glow! I'm going to sprite ash particles and place generators everywhere. There's going to be violent eruptions around the player, throwing magma all over the place. I'm going to work the thok barrier so the whole thing looks like its taking place in the jagged mouth of a massive volcano.

Essentially, VVZ is going to look like all the hell from Silent Hill. I can't wait to get started:D

On a side note; I'm a huge Geology geek so I'm approaching VVZ with my art, my knowledge and a passion for getting cute cartoon characters into trouble. I may even throw in some terrain changing tremors like Marble Garden Zone.

Last edited:
Help!!!

The links don't work. It says "Invalid or deleted file". can you please reupload them? I really want to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back