Something is with my WAD files...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthJunior

I started downloading wad files for characters, so I downloaded 2 of them I would like to have. I tried it, and I was able to wear these characters in one player modes. I wanted to play multiplayer online, but it said I edited some content in the game, and it wanted me to restart. So I did so. I started a multiplayer match, and I wanted to play as shadow, {one of the wads I used} But he wasn't there. Neither was mighty, {Anuther wad I used} I repeated to type the file name, and it worked on one player. But of course since I edited SRB2 it wouldn't let me play multiplayer... any help here?

There's the root of the problem, the host edited their copy of the WAD. You did nothing wrong on your end, so don't worry about it. :P When you edit WADs, it changes their MD5sums, and SRB2 uses those to determine if the file you have is the same as the other players online. Since the host's copy no longer matched yours, SRB2 thought it was "corrupted". That host just screwed his chances of getting almost anyone with the same WADs to join his net games.
Also, try adding WADs before hosting a net game, SRB2 has problems doing that sometimes, I don't know why... >_> Anyone else? One time I couldn't add Espio, even though I had him. D:

You can't join matches if you have wad files in and you don't get the characters you put in before once the game starts again. You can host matches with wads loaded but if someone else doesn't have it, they won't be able to join.

Now I'm impressed on how you told us about the situation. You're the first one I've seen that doesn't know the basics (trust me, SRB2 was very complicated at first. -_-;) but didn't act like a total n00b but just asked normally the entire situation and you have a good topic title as well. You are a good poster. Keep it up.

Violo said:
You can host matches with wads loaded but if someone else doesn't have it, they won't be able to join.
Not true, if the file is under 512 kilobytes, the player can download it directly from the host before joining the game. You can also use Maxsend if you have larger WADs loaded, but almost everyone hates that feature...and for a good reason. :P I was once stuck downloading the entire SAW mod. O_o'

You don't have any edited WADs, the host that you tried to join did, however. (He probably tried to make those characters overpowered or something. XD) You can try downloading them again though, just in case. :P

Hmmm... I'm not having much luck sadly... =( seems like it doesn't even let me go to the server menu after I put my wads in, and very rarely lets me put in my character's file name during a match. Is there some sort of script file that puts the character in for me, like they do for the 3 plrs that are included in the game?

Yes, that happens after you add WADs. :P You have to restart the game with no WADs loaded to join a net game, although it doesn't matter if you're hosting one. :)

You can create a autoexec.cfg script with Notepad (or some other text editor) that will load whatever file you want to add before the game starts. Check the wiki on how to do that. Although you'll have to temporarily move the script out of the SRB2 folder if you want to join net games, because you can't with WADs loaded before hand. That's the way it works, unfortunately. D:

Also, if you're not the host of a net game, you can't add WADs to it. Unless the host verifies you, or you host your own game, it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back