Skydiving with a wingsuit-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, what?

I can't be the only one here that wants to be able to experience free-flight as a non-flying being. Seriously. This is awesome.

Sadly, it hasn't been perfected yet, so only those in the process of completing the project are able to use them. Also, I'd imagine you'd have to be at least over 18... =|

Shadow Hog said:
That's not flying! That's just falling, with style!

Lol @ Toy Story reference. They are just taking the properties of a flying squirl and putting it on a human...

See, the thing is: They're trying out simple gliding first. Once they get the suit design down (kinks still being worked on), they'll look to finding a light enough source of fuel (that has to be able to be used for reasonable amounts of time without giving in), and a light enough propulsion system that wont weigh the pilot of the suit down too much.

Fucking amazing is what I say.

I think I can speak for alot (Not all) of people when I say that I'd be incredibly frightened to even try to attempt this.

How do I do to convince those dudes to let me try it even if it's in prototype stage? XD

Anyways, does anybody know how to actually control that thing? Because I don't think that moving the body in the air to be able to change the direction is any easy.

Actually, I think it is as simple as moving your body to control your direction with the air. Remember: You're in free-fall mode. No bounds; therefore, your body is free-moving. Hell, in regular skydiving, you use the direction of your body to either slow down or speed up in free-fall. Why would the wingsuit be any different?

On a side-note, I want one. =(

Ash said:
Actually, I think it is as simple as moving your body to control your direction with the air. Remember: You're in free-fall mode. No bounds; therefore, your body is free-moving. Hell, in regular skydiving, you use the direction of your body to either slow down or speed up in free-fall. Why would the wingsuit be any different?
Because basically you aren't sustaining on anything (even if it's a board), so whenever you want to rotate your entire body, you simply can't, at least easily :/ And don't say anything about those using parachutes only. Moving the arm isn't as moving the entire body.

Ash said:
See, the thing is: They're trying out simple gliding first. Once they get the suit design down (kinks still being worked on), they'll look to finding a light enough source of fuel (that has to be able to be used for reasonable amounts of time without giving in), and a light enough propulsion system that wont weigh the pilot of the suit down too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS2rjcVcaqQ
Looks cool.

If they get it working then Im going to get one, although how will you land the thing anyway?

I'd love to try that if I didn't think I'd end up flipping out as soon as I jumped, flailing about, curl up into a fetal position and become a human meteor XP

They have something similar to what you'd want, Triangle, but it doesn't involve a wingsuit. Para-gliding and hang-gliding are good candidates for small cliffs. As for the wingsuit, you actually have the same (if not more) air resistance without all the bulk. Also, full body control: For the win?

Ash said:
They have something similar to what you'd want, Triangle, but it doesn't involve a wingsuit. Para-gliding and hang-gliding are good candidates for small cliffs. As for the wingsuit, you actually have the same (if not more) air resistance without all the bulk. Also, full body control: For the win?

Yeah, but a wingsuit would seem to have more freedom.

RECKLESSADVERTISEMENTSEEFIZZMODTOPICINEDITING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back