Sign the petition to have SRB2ME compiled with GCC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds like another MSVC vs Dev-C++ topic. Only now we're "signing" something that has the possibility of not even happening. It's primarilly SSNTails' decision.

I doubt this will go anywhere but I'll sign for the hell of it.

I also had something else to add but I forgot.

If it means a chance of me not having to deal with random soc errors on netgames with my laptop, then I'm all for it.

~ Blue Warrior

I really don't think this should be in How do I jump forums. I don't know how much good this will do though.

Put me up the list anyway. I think it would be good to have something like prettysrb2 be able to compile with GCC and still be netgame compatible with the official version.

I'll sign. I've been trying to push for this for a while because Linux GCC-compiled copies of SRB2 don't netplay well with MSVC-compiled copies. And that really sucks for me, given that I run Linux often.

Thank you very much!

The netplay won't really be any different. Its just that you can theoretically play SRB2 netgames with people using linux and windows. The lag factor would be pretty much the same.

SSSSSSSS MMM----------MMMM
SSSS--------MMMM-------MMMMM
SSSS--------MMMMMM MMMMMM
SSSSSSS---MMMMMMMMMMMMM
-----SSSS---MMM---MMMM---MMM
-----SSSS---MMM---MMMM---MMM
SSSSSSS---MMM---MMMM---MMM

Torgo said:
Um, no the netplay won't really be any different. Its just that you can theoretically play SRB2 netgames with people using linux and windows. The lag factor would be pretty much the same.
Will it affect laptops? I always seem to get soc errors when certain people join a netgame for some reason.

I never get that kind of error in normal or any GCC compiled mod. I don't know why the VC++ or GCC version would make a difference when you play a laptop vs. a desktop.

SRB2 riders (yeah I know) runs fine, and I believe its compiled with GCC.

Dr.Pepper said:
If it means SRB2 will be easier to compile cross-platform, I'll sign it. :D

-Dr.Pepper
Actually, it has nothing to do with us compiling it with gcc (infact, we already can), it's that he wants the official SRB2ME build to be built and distributed with it compiled via gcc.

Yeah, sure, whatever, don't play the game, anyway.

I'm curious about how many people who have "signed" actually know a damn thing about the differences between MVSC and GCC compiliers or actually have any programming experience at all for that matter. I have some moderate experience programming in C/C++ and I cannot say I have done enough to say that one is better than the other.

I would venture to say to let the programmers who are actually working on SRB2ME to decide since they're the ones who actually know what they're talking about. (Whoa, let the developers decide? Novel concept amirite? =P)

Also, I'm not sure how much a change in compiler will make a difference in netplay stability considering that the state of the netcode in 1.09.4 causes massive netsplits and consistiency failures even across a small number (6) of Windows users. The last time I hosted a CTF server, I wound up pausing the game every five minutes due to half the netgame being dumped at a time with myself sometimes included. Getting C-kicked from your own dedicated server is always an interesting experience.

I'll Begin said:
Come to think of it. What's SRB2ME?

Seems to be the current "code-name" for the next SRB2 release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back