MP3 or OGG?

• Mp3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OGG

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the end-user, though. The way I see it, the only reason MP3s are still around is that it's so widespread and mainstream. OGG, in a technological sense, is better in several ways, but then change doesn't occur at the drop of a dime.

And, well, it seems the way you put it, OGG is only a pain because it's inaccessible to the end-user as of present date.

Some of us really care, and you hurt those who do by leaving it in something awful like MP3 128k... at least have the decency to do 192...

Buy a CD then. What's the difference? Other than the fact that CDs are of lossless quality because they're not rips.

Well, maybe I should've clarified. What I meant was at a game of this scale. Surround sound is really nice in a professional console game, I agree, but SRB2 certainly doesn't have it. Therefore, why waste hard drive space on tip-top quality music that doesn't even compare with the lower bitrates of the sounds in the game?

Lostgame said:
Mystic, that's the first time I've ever heard you say something stupid!

MP3 is widely accepted as the format for music with the end user. For SRB2, OGG might work, sure. And for games, it makes sense.

But for the average end user, OGG is a pain in the ass.

It's called an MP3 player, man. Every MP3 player plays them-find a decently-priced, well-selling MP3 player that plays OGG and then we'll talk. =P
Excuse me then, as I've never had any trouble getting OGGs to play on just about anything. Now, I admit, I never generally try, as I don't own an MP3 player, and generally play music on my computer, however, from the first time I was given an OGG file several years ago, I never had any trouble getting it to play on pretty much any computer I've run it on. If I have the original WAV, encoding to OGG just saves space for no noticable quality drop. As an end user trying to save space, OGG is the better option.

Now, I'll note the last time I actually encoded an audio file was well over a year ago, so it's not like I deal with this on a regular basis. I'm also generally just encoding for my own personal use, not to give to a bazillion other people, so if it's fine for me, I couldn't really care less if some other person doesn't get it. If I download an MP3, I don't change the format. Lossy format to lossy format is just stupid. I don't go out of my way to find OGG over MP3, either, so I have MANY more MP3s than I do OGGs. That's because, as you said, MP3 is the standard, and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon.

Give it a few years and every player will be able to run just about every audio format on Earth, and it simply won't matter to the end user anyways. It already doesn't matter to me as long as it doesn't force me to use their proprietary player. *kicks Real Player and every web site that still uses .ram files*

Hmmm......OGG is by far in the lead with 24....and mp3 7.....
I concur with Chaos.

Oh,and as for this better quality crap I full-heartedly aggree that they should be atleast 192k,however...Unless you want the music.dta file to be another 20mb or so bigger,go right ahead.

80kbps OGG is a little higher quality than 128kbps MP3, and is a much smaller file.

NO game music package for ANY game should be higher than those birates, unless you're an idiot.

Omega_the_hedgehog you told me that srb2 should be thrown out! O_O why are you at the srb2 forum? O_O

Omega the Hedgehog said:
Or releasing music for a primarily music-based game (e.g Samba De Amigo, Stepmania, DDR...)

Even then, I don't think it's really neccessary. 128kbps should be more than clear enough for 90% of the population, and anybody who claims they can hear the difference between 192kbps and 320kbps is nuts.

I can. 320kbps has much less of that "wavey-fluidy" effect in the backround.
128kbps has it really bad, but I won't even touch that one. I usually encode my files at 192kbps, anyways...

Ok (I am freaking sorry for the bumps for many of the topics I post in its not my fault but this ones important (well to me it is..... may be beneficial to others too if they are haveing the same poblem as me...)
I don't know what is wrong but the URL to the Shadow the hedgehog music doesn't work.... May I please get another URL so I can get this?

Links not working. reupload :D

Oh, btw,

Bigboi said:
PIX OR GTFO

*raped*

Well yeah... this sound nice. and the way you described it makes it seem like you also made custom levels.

THis would be cool with a bunch of shadow androids. *cough*hint*cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back