• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Seabreeze Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
*cough* Been working on a level to keep myself sane from all this free time I have.

I'm still a rookie when it comes to level designing, but I've decided to try my hand at it.

current name for this map is 'Seabreeze Islands'. Mainly a Match and Tag map, I originally wanted to make it an adventure map that would lead to different stages, but when the map proved to be too big for it's own good, I had to continuously downsize it until I decided to just make it a match map.

I still have things to do with it before I can release a public Beta, but this is what I've done:

srb20001p.png

srb20002.png

srb20003.png

srb20004.png

The three surrounding islands are where players will spawn from. From there, players will need to scramble for a few rings on those islands and make their way to the center where they will be safe from falling into the churning sea below. From there, they can choose to fight opponents that are in or near the central oasis, or take to the skies and try to snipe enemies from the clouds above.

The red springs can be taken by anyone and will safely take them to the desired location without effort. The yellow springs however, should only be used by Sonic, for only he has the air speed to safely make it to a neighboring cloud. (However, players will only make it to the next cloud if they are moving towards it from the moment they hit the yellow spring to the moment they land.)

Tails and Knuckles users will not make it to the other clouds if they take the yellow springs unfortunately. However, taking the springs are a bit unnecessary, for you can travel to the islands via air.

Those that can fly will surely have the upper hand...
------------------------------------------

Things to do:
[X] Insert rings
[X] Insert Moniters
[X] Insert weapon rings
[X] Insert Scenery
[X] Run a Successful beta Server -yay-

I like the level it look so refreshing and Calm
[spoiler:dd0217f13f]Tons of eggman comes[/spoiler:dd0217f13f]

Those clouds are awesome! Here's something that might help you: In real life, all cumulus clouds have flat bottoms. Yours don't. This may sound dorky, but in the interest of scientific realism, you might want to flatten them on the bottom.

fawfulfan said:
Those clouds are awesome! Here's something that might help you: In real life, all cumulus clouds have flat bottoms. Yours don't. This may sound dorky, but in the interest of scientific realism, you might want to flatten them on the bottom.

Realism in a game based on a half pint rodent with super sonic speed and just as equally talented sidekicks who would have probably enjoyed the hero as a snack long ago?

GENIUS. [/sarcasm]

Seriously though, I got the Idea from a different wad. the clouds (as far as I know) were done first by Morph. I only followed his design, and for the sake playability, will leave them alone for now.

if it becomes necessary to make them flat on the bottom, I will. till then... eh.

Interesting aesthetics.

What's below the water? I'm not a fan of opaque water blocks, honestly.

Blue Warrior said:
Interesting aesthetics.

What's below the water? I'm not a fan of opaque water blocks, honestly.

Death pit. Was originally going to have an underwater area where players could have sea faring battles, but in the end, I decided to put all my focus on doing ground and sky battles.

-------------------------

Well, I've run into a bit of a snag on the ring placement. I've tried to set rings to sync up with the red springs, but so far, I can't get it to line up correctly. Might have to try different things to fix that, but it's really starting to get to me...

This stage could be interesting to play with enough people, and it appears large enough to the point that those narrow parts won't need to be widened. I had a feeling you got the idea for those clouds from Morph's level pack. :P

Maybe you could place some large, stationary boats here and there in the water, with springs in them, so players can recover more easily? It might make it look less empty, and I can imagine you could use the boats to hide some goodies in bust-able crates.
Also, I'd suggest using BWATER01 for the ocean water. The texture you're currently using looks too bright when put against the sand and sky textures.

Dr.Pepper said:
This stage could be interesting to play with enough people, and it appears large enough to the point that those narrow parts won't need to be widened. I had a feeling you got the idea for those clouds from Morph's level pack. :P

Maybe you could place some large, stationary boats here and there in the water, with springs in them, so players can recover more easily? It might make it look less empty, and I can imagine you could use the boats to hide some goodies in bust-able crates.
Also, I'd suggest using BWATER01 for the ocean water. The texture you're currently using looks too bright when put against the sand and sky textures.

Hmm... The boats actually sound like a pretty good Idea.

I may put them for the sole reason of being scenery, but if they serve a practical purpose, then that's just more reason to do so.

I have also put in the water you suggested, and I must say, it does look a lot better compared to the last water I used.

-------------

Still Debating this, but I could put up a link to the wad for alpha testing purposes...

Update on screenshots:

srb20005.png

srb20006.png

I've added a few starter rings on the starter islands, as well as around the oasis plus an item monitor on each bridge that changes every time they're broken.
srb20007.png

Railring and 4 super ring monitors in the oasis, just in case you're not able to get any rings on ground. Though it's a great place to stock up, you become a target to those above.
srb20008.png

After some thought, I decided on putting rail rings on the clouds to coax players to use the upper areas for sniping advantages. Still thinking about putting rings in the skies, but for now, I won't worry about it.
srb20010.png

Got bored and just screenshotted the clouds from below.

As it looks right now, it feels very large and bland, I also don't like the idea of one huge death pit with very little to fall down to. I suggest adding some sort of mountainous area along the edges of the map, but thats just me.

Chrome said:
As it looks right now, it feels very large and bland, I also don't like the idea of one huge death pit with very little to fall down to. I suggest adding some sort of mountainous area along the edges of the map, but thats just me.

*nods* I want to get the basic done before I think about doing scenery... but for now, it's at least playable, so it's a step forward. I'm also aware of the surrounding ocean being a bit bland ad if you fall, you're bound to be doomed.

But Dr. Pepper has made a good suggestion of making a few boats that catch the players if they're lucky, as well as hold a few surprise items for players.

I also thought about putting a mountain in the map, but soon changed it to an Oasis. Just don't think a mountain on an island would be the best thing to do. Plus, the way I set up the thok barrier gives it the illusion that there's nothing but ocean for miles, and I don't want to do anything to ruin that illusion.

Django Urikashima said:
srb20007.png

Railring and 4 super ring monitors in the oasis, just in case you're not able to get any rings on ground. Though it's a great place to stock up, you become a target to those above.
Great place to stock up? Great place to monitor bounce!

Actually, this level seems like a nice idea. Different from others. The main problem I see with it is that it looks like those clouds are real far off the ground. In a way, if you're the first person up, you've nearly won. Also, this stage plays out perfectly for anyone using OpenGL.

tailsmastermind said:
Django Urikashima said:
srb20007.png

Great place to stock up? Great place to monitor bounce!

Actually, this level seems like a nice idea. Different from others. The main problem I see with it is that it looks like those clouds are real far off the ground. In a way, if you're the first person up, you've nearly won. Also, this stage plays out perfectly for anyone using OpenGL.

Heh, I have done the monitor bounce... and it works alright.

As for the clouds... they are... well, in the sky. they're high off the ground alright.

the red springs are what you need in order to reach them, but they're low enough to the ground that any character can reach them safely by using the spring. (those with unmodified jumps anyway...)

It's a lot tougher to navigate the clouds than it looks, but I'll let the open Alpha testing show that.

Looks good, but the sides of the cloud's sides look a bit too dark. Or are they strom clouds?

Blade said:
Looks good, but the sides of the cloud's sides look a bit too dark. Or are they strom clouds?

Heh... it's actually the way opengl sees the gray wall. Software shows it the way it's supposed to be, but compromises most everything else.

May I suggest having a few rivers leading into the central pit? That way it could be somewhat like a lake.

Then add more islands or something, because the thing is rather bland and feels empty. Maybe add some palm trees? Or even have those fish enemies jump in and out of the ocean.

This is an interesting idea, but it looks a little lacking. Here's some suggestions:

The islands look pretty flat. I like the idea of a smaller island to stock up and to head out into the battle field, but you could still make those islands look interesting. Especially the Main Island. Some vegetation would be good.

Boats, Like Dr. Pepper said. But what I had in mind was maybe one or two large cruise-ships, large enough to server as a small battle field, for say, 2-3 players?

More islands? Some islands out in the farther parts of the waters would be cool. They could have some hidden goodies and hiding places.

But, great looking map.

Fyrus said:
Then add more islands or something, because the thing is rather bland and feels empty. Maybe add some palm trees? Or even have those fish enemies jump in and out of the ocean.

If I had the right items, I'd add those palm trees in a heart beat, but I'm not to the point of adding in custom 'things' yet, so I might need some help in that area...

Jellybones69 said:
This is an interesting idea, but it looks a little lacking. Here's some suggestions:

The islands look pretty flat. I like the idea of a smaller island to stock up and to head out into the battle field, but you could still make those islands look interesting. Especially the Main Island. Some vegetation would be good.

I know, I'm in the process of doing that. I need some extra things to make it the way I want though...

Boats, Like Dr. Pepper said. But what I had in mind was maybe one or two large cruise-ships, large enough to server as a small battle field, for say, 2-3 players?

Already added in a few small boats that act as an extra path from one island to the next, as well as to an island not connected to the main land.

More islands? Some islands out in the farther parts of the waters would be cool. They could have some hidden goodies and hiding places.

One thing you have to keep in mind that as big as the arena looks, the thok barrier isn't infinite. the area where the sea ends, isn't exactly where the thok barrier ends as well. That's an illusion to make it look like no matter how far you look, there's nothing but sea for miles.

But, great looking map.

Heh... thanks. It's my first map, so I really appreciate it.

-----------------------------------

Add ons:

srb20011.png

srb20012.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back