scr_waterfallvalley.wad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamhok

I made some Major Edits to my first Wad,
Waterfall Valley Zone.
Compared to my old version, this has more rings, is a little larger, now using FOFs, so some feedback always helps.
screen1bz5.th.jpg

http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=782c74b694e836765f96a5d93c67e031

First off, host this on SRB2FFH
1. there's waterfall all around the stage. Please explain.
2. it appears as "green forest zone 1"
3. spread the rings all around, instead of in lines
4. a bit too linear

The Linear Problem Is My own thing, but I understand and I can Modify it, editing the header is my only real issue, so I'll fix what I can

Hamhok said:
The Linear Problem Is My own thing, but I understand and I can Modify it, editing the header is my only real issue, so I'll fix what I can

The header is easy to fix. Just change the name in the lump editor you are using. Yes it's pretty flat, and lacks in scenery. Try and make it more bigger, and spend more time on stages if you want to get good results out of them.

The Review(*)

-Why it got 1/5 stars-

1: Didn't the acid missile guy already make a waterfall valley zone, a better waterfall valley zone.
2: It's just a few small "islands" in a huge square, where's the fun in that?
3: No scenery to speak of.

-What you can do to improve-

Add some level design, read the wiki about level designing, nobody likes levels like this, me included, i think just about everybody agrees that you need to do something about this level, really though try to incorporate gimmicks into your level, something to not make it so bland, if so need help, go to the mods/level release forums, or the editing forums, and play some other fan-created content. I think it will help...

Re: The Review(*)

SWP (SRB2) said:
-Why it got 1/5 stars-

1: Didn't the acid missile guy already make a waterfall valley zone, a better waterfall valley zone.

Add some level design, read the wiki about level designing, nobody likes levels like this, me included, i think just about everybody agrees that you need to do something about this level, really though try to incorporate gimmicks into your level, something to not make it so bland, if so need help, go to the mods/level release forums, or the editing forums, and play some other fan-created content. I think it will help...

Not to be a jerk, but a lot of those levels aren't really inspirational.

Re: The Review(*)

Hamhok said:
SWP (SRB2) said:
-Why it got 1/5 stars-

Not to be a jerk, but a lot of those levels aren't really inspirational.

Compare this level to a level e.g. a level from I don't know, the recent mods & levels which are being made at the moment. They take time to make, they arn't 5 - 10 minute jobs. That isn't what proper effort is. Level can take days, weeks, or even moths which most of them are good. Try again.

Chaos said:
I'd bet five that that isn't real water.

Well, if you're new to level-making, it probably isn't. (I Still have trouble making mine)

Eh, I give it a 2/10. Why?

-Solid water, lol
-Very short and linear
-Pretty featureless
-Non-deafed rings
-No effort detected

I didn't give it a 0 or 1, though, because I still had fun with it. I took advantage of the excessive amounts of crawlas and just had a bouncing spree. In addition, I noticed the thok barrier had bouncy linedefs. Whether or not it was poor level design, it was still awesome to play in, so I gave you a few points for that.

Listen, levels can be good looking or even beautiful if you put some effort into it. Beautiful in SRB2 doesn't always mean "GFZ themed". It could be lava themed, factory themed, ice themed, whatever, and it can still look cool if you just add that special touch, and actually put something worth looking at. Effort and scenery usually do the trick.

For some more help, I advise looking at the wiki:
http://www.srb2wiki.sepwich.com/wiki/Main_Page
...and a few notes on level design:
http://www.srb2wiki.sepwich.com/wiki/Level_Design

I know you don't like getting slapped with wiki links, but they really do help when learning about making maps and such.

I got busy with school, but I got up and modified a little of it at 6 this morning, so give it time, and if I knew this would be in development, I'd have put this in The Editing Forum

I say you should just work on another level, rather than improving this one. Making new levels gives you more experience, thus making you better at making level wads.

Ash said:
I say you should just work on another level, rather than improving this one. Making new levels gives you more experience, thus making you better at making level wads.
Yeah. Trying to improve something that can't be saved won't make you any better.

Sorry too double post but this level CAN NOT be edited, any time I try, it literally gets corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back