Safety concerns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRB2-Playah

Ne'er-Do-Anythin'
When a server is transfering files with someone who's joining, is it possable for the joiner to hack into the server's computer, or vice versa?

why would you want to know---- *IMPLODES* oh. i dunno, i dont think so. its only supposed to join into the netgame

That depends what you mean. It's possible for someone who joins to crash the game, for instance, or change some settings (in the game) they shouldn't be able to change. Other than that, I don't know of any exploits, but I can't guarantee they don't exist. Why do you ask?

My computer's already been bombed with viruses, spyware, and adware within it's first month being online. I've already gotten rid of most of it. Thank you, AVG, Ad-aware, and Spyware Guard! :mrgreen:
I'm just concerned about the file transfer safety.
I swear, I'm not a hacker. :P

I can swear I'm not a hacker too, I have no care to be, but that doesn't negate the fact I know how to be ;)

The SRB2 file transfering is likely equivalent in safety to with transfering of files over a chat client like MSN, AIM, or ICQ.

However, I suppose it could be possible for someone with a lot of time on their hands to hack the SRB2 source code to allow them to manually divert file uploads to mallicious files, but I think that's the worst that could happen... provided you've got a nice little firewall rigged up.

Without a firewall you might as well just paint a target on your system and shout out "HACK ME!!!" to every IRC chat room in existence. :P

--- Gemini

Due to SRB2's limited functionality in that department, I doubt there are many exploits you can do.

A router is basically a little box that allows multiple computers to share a network connection while at the same time providing port manipulation, or henceforth, a firewall.

Firewalls just allow you to control what kind of connections can be made by your computer, and what kind of connections can be made to your computer from other computers. The whole idea of a firewall is to give the user control over how they appear on the internet or a local network, not the computer.

DSL is just a type of high-speed internet service that goes through normal phone-lines about 100 times faster than a regular modem. (Except for a couple uncommon variations which need special lines installed.)

SRB2-Playah: Just having a router though doesn't mean it's setup to act as a firewall. All firewalls need to be configured manually, hardware or software. Since routers can be tricky to configure properly it may be easier for you to download a software-based firewall to run, like ZoneAlarm.

--- Gemini

I would like to take this moment to say that people often misuse the terms "hacker", "hacking", and other similar words related to computer security on the internet. Saying that hackers or hacking are bad is like saying all black people do is jack cars and rap wit' their gangsta homeboys all day. I myself am a hacker, but you won't find me snooping about in your personal files. Don't have a clue how to do that, and don't intend to.

You don't need to be afraid of being labeled as a "hacker" here, it's not like the red scare where you were screwed if you were labeled a communist. It is an unfortunate thing that hackers have been given a bad name on the internet, as a lot of virus/hacker-destroyed-my-computer stories are often the fault of the user himself, for lack of proper computer maintenance. But anyway, back to the point.

Routers generally do have hardware firewalls built in. My own DSL router, a 2Wire Homeportal, has a rather robust firewall installed within its electronic innards. Though it's always good to have a software firewall to fall back on, for which I too suggest Zonealarm. It's better and more easily configurable than most other software firewalls out there, and the standard version is free for home use.

In conclusion, you can rest assured that no one is going to be hacking your computer while you're netgaming unless they found some way to execute malicious code from within a wad file, which I imagine the kind programmers have done their best to prevent happening. Of course there is always that remote possibility, no program is flawless in security, but the odds are stacked massively against it in this case.

Man, that was a really long post.

Now that it's gone into a whole hacker vs h@xx0r discussion, lets take it back to the begginning... And hope I learn to spell better, perhapes.
SRB2-Playah said:
When a server is transfering files with someone who's joining, is it possable for the joiner to hack into the server's computer, or vice versa?
It is pretty hard for a joiner to send data, but the host... The way SRB2 is set up, with some crafty programming... The host can send a file containing a virus/trojen to all who join without any inconsistency, and possably even make them exicute it. It all depends on how it's made. :wink: a441 had me make an "Srb2Evil" exe for purposes of testing the security of SRB2 and stuff. I haven't managed to join a netgame with allowjoin set to off, but I have been able to change the map, kick players (with any of the messages possable... You have been connection timeout-ed! Mwahahaha!), and even evade forced CTF teams (and change the teams of other players at will! Oh joy!)... But when I tried to make everything unlocked so that you don't get killed if they play on SA Example Zone or something, I get UDP_Bind errors... I wonder what that's about. I guess I could drug arrow out into the street and shot him, that could work.

Your going to drug him? Into the street?

:Insert some strange comment about deisel waffles and cornbread highways here:

The only code a host can make players execute is that of the simple scripts supported (e.g. through the exec command), and if you're worried about that, type "runscripts no".

Further research shows that it is possible to send an executable file through SRB2. The file will just sit there, so don't run any mysterious exe files that show up in your download directory, and you'll be fine.

Yush, you can't get a virus running in normal SRB2. And don't worry, I'll make sure to remove my evil "back door" before making any SPMoves releases... Except the one that lets me take over your netgame SRB2Evil-style, of course. :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back