s_fawfulpack.wad (don't know how to post screenshots--sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
This is my first time submitting anything to the SRB2 forums. These are also the first three levels I have ever made, and I think they are extremely good considering that. With these levels (the second two, actually) I have tried to attempt things that have never been done before. What things, do you ask? You'll just have to download the levels and see. UNFORTUNATELY, I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO POST SCREENSHOTS, SO PLEASE, PLEASE, P-L-E-A-S-E do not punish me for that!

The levels are called Egg Hall Zone, Moon Palace Zone, and Mushroom Canyon Zone. I hope you like them!

Download at [http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=5d27795f30dfc0cee3bcc2c4e6644c4c]
(sorry if link doesn't work; I don't know how to make a link here. Just copy and paste the URL.)

One more thing--this is mostly my work, but I copied and pasted some sectors from a few other WADs. I'm giving some credit below, so don't blast me for plagiarism:

Chaos Zero 64--the small pipes were copied from Super Mario Zone v1.0 for use in Mushroom Canyon Zone. Really good level, incidentally.

I also copied the colormap from THZ act 2 for Moon Palace Zone and the end of Mario Koopa Blast act 3 for use in Mushroom Canyon Zone. I don't know where I'd be without them. Thank you, Sonic Team Jr.!

Remove the [ and ] from the link please so people can just click it
EDIT, played it and nothing but crampness, these levels defiantly need alot of work doing to them

I'll admit that these levels are kind of cramped. For Egg Hall Zone, that was because I'm new here--that was, after all, the first level I ever made. For the second two though, I think that it's part of the challenge that everything's so close together. On Moon Palace Zone, for instance, I used that to intentionally create close-ups and even a couple blind spots. Diabolical, I'll admit, and something to avoid later on. I've always had a tendency to make really hard levels whenever I use a level editor for any game.

Here's a link. Hope it works this time!

http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=5d27795f30dfc0cee3bcc2c4e6644c4c[/url]

Still doesn't work, it either says "invalid download link" or "bandwidth limit exceeded (at least for me).

Alrighty. I only bothered to play through the entire thing to suggest things for improvement, because I was so frusturated with the crampedness of the first level that I almost considered giving up. Did you even TEST your levels before shoveling it on these forums? If this is a joke wad, then I must have missed the punchline.

1. Thok Barrier. It's not even set up correctly.

It's dangerous to go alone. Use this.
http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Thok_barrier

2. Starposts. Make sure that they always face in the right direction when a player dies. I ended up walking the wrong direction after spawning(the wall was in the way), right into three pop-up turrets waiting for me. :/

3. Instant kill sectors. They make your level un-finishable. I think you meant to make them death pits(sector type 5 or 16). I had to resort to cheating to get through.

3. Cramped. The ultimate source of all the things wrong with this level. Jesus Christ, why did you make me run down a tiny hallway with turrets at the end? Is there some reason that you didn't feel the need to make it wider?

Hooray, I finished this crappy level? Surely the next level can't be as terrible as that, right?

...2D mode. With goombas. Wow.

Code:
console:QUIT

I can't really give you advice on this, since it just does too many things wrong to count. I would suggest looking at your favorite single player level, and finding out what they did that made it your favorite. Make your levels in its style.

EDIT:Just to be fair, the last mario level was decent. It was still frustrating, but it was decent.

I am going to respond to Kuja's complaints.

1. YES, I DID TEST THESE LEVELS. THEY WORKED EXACTLY LIKE I INTENDED THEM TO WORK.
2. Yes, Egg Hall Zone is a really bad level. I shouldn't even have included it. It was too cramped, and the thok barrier didn't work properly. However, the Instant Kill sectors were INTENTIONAL. Check closely, and you'll discover that they don't span the entire hall--there's always a section of normal Death Pit. In retrospect, I could have made that area shallower so that it's easier to see the blue-versus-orange grid (which is how you tell the difference between my instant kill sectors and my death pits.) So, this level is pretty bad, but gimme a break. It was an experiment--my first full-length level--and it's not impossible.
3. I admit there are problems with the colormap in the ruins part of Moon Palace Zone. It's not what I intended, but it doesn't make the level unplayable, and it's relatively minor. This level was supposed to challenge people's concept of what a 2D level is, but I think its gratuitous difficulty and seemingly random placement of Mario elements upset people. I'll try to shy off from innovating for a while.
4. Just as an added note, did you know that in Mushroom Canyon Zone, some blocks had the same control sector on purpose, to make you have to choose where to get the prize? And the oddly colored bricks were just something I threw in--hit one, and the other is destroyed too.

fawfulfan said:
1. YES, I DID TEST THESE LEVELS. THEY WORKED EXACTLY LIKE I INTENDED THEM TO WORK.

I think he probably meant to have other people test the levels before releasing them on the forums. Either that, or test them out to see if they had a working thok-barrier...

Just so you know, I didn't mean for those comments I made to come out as if I was putting you down. I just wanted you to realize why the things that you had done worked SO horribly. Like I said before, the third stage was admirable, and was a very nice mario themed level. But the first two levels didn't work as well as that one did, because of the lack of space.

In both instances, the camera spent 80% of the time lodged in a wall, leaving me to blindly run forward into some un-seeable hazard along the way(In the first level, that was the instant kill sector). Be sure to give the player plenty of room to see what's going on while they're running forward.

In the second level, you used diagonal springs to transfer from foreground to background. That's all fine and well, but it would work much better if doing so didn't lead to my demise when I picked a spring. I would end up falling off the track, leaving me to wonder what I was going to do now that I had no way to complete the level. To fix this problem, use invisible sectors(linedef type 57) to keep the player from launching off the level into the pit.

One last thing: There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with being innovative. In fact, that is one of the highest values that I hold for any srb2 level. Just make sure it's executed the right way, and doesn't get in the way of the fun of your levels.

EDIT:
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/7739/srb20002rm2.png
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/4308/srb20003me1.png
:(

Thanks for clarifying your meaning. In part, I was using the stalling camera to challenge people--make them guess right. I understand how annoying it is now. I'm working on a new level now--a 3D Mario zone. I promise it won't be as cramped. You'll have to wait a long time for it, though, because I'm going away for a while.

One more tip about the second level--If you're bouncing on a diagonal spring, don't move horizontally while in the air--wait until you've touched down. That could be the reason you're falling into a pit. And if a spring puts you in a place where you can't continue, you might want to consider just avoiding that spring--It might have been placed there to deliberately throw you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back