rphys

rphys 8

Katmint updated rphys with a new update entry:

experimental android port

I compiled rphys v4 for Android, available here: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1Neks8fVc7qZ9hKsAigDaa6lLlqCTQifl&export=download. You don't need to uninstall your existing srb2 app; rphys can coexist with it.

KNOWN ISSUE: The app will crash during startup 100% of the time on certain systems. This does not generate a crash log so I can't really fix it.

Note that the android build does not have uncapped, but does include UDMF.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Why does the game halve your added vertical momentum when jumping off a slope? It feels weird, like slope jumps don't take you as high as they should.

Why does the game halve your added vertical momentum when jumping off a slope? It feels weird, like slope jumps don't take you as high as they should.
I think it does that by default because there's not much vertical traversal in the base game. Doom maps are wide and short, with floors over floors being a) relatively new, and b) really hard to implement beyond more than two levels. Halving the vertical momentum is a good way to make the player focus on what's ahead of them instead of what's above them.

The slopes halving momentum is only in vanilla, not this. Slope jumps lose a bit of verticality compared to launching in rphys but it's a necessary restriction due to it being absolutely absurd otherwise. It also makes running down a slope and jumping not completely delete your jump like it otherwise would.

Also while I'm here have a fun trick you can do with Amy:
srb20001.gif

Release jump to cancel the stomp right after hitting an enemy for the max possible boost. Just don't do it too early or you'll take damage.

(also the new marios bros version that just released breaks horribly in rphys, will attempt to fix that in the next update)

rphys breaks the ground pound of the newest build of the super Mario bros mod. strangely enough, you can still ground pound when you triple jump but that's about it.

2.2.11 update

Here's a new windows build compatible with 2.2.11. Not everything I have planned is done yet but there's a fair amount of fixes and changes included with this:
  • Improvements tp slope physics
  • Yellow horizontal springs now propel you faster
  • DeltaChars, Mario Bros, Adventure Sonic issues fixed
  • Lockon no longer cancels when hitting a boss, and you can now always target Metal Sonic and Black Eggman instead of only sometimes
  • More performance improvements over the vanilla game...

Somehow i legit though playing multiplayer on the rphys build was a thing but i get network game synchronization aborted every time i join a server. and if i try to join again, same thing happens.

Last edited:
Somehow i legit though playing multiplayer on the rphys build was a thing but i get network game synchronization aborted every time i join a server. and if i try to join again, same thing happens.
This build contains a lot of major game logic changes so it isn't netgame compatible with vanilla SRB2. You should be able to play multiplayer if the host is using rphys; unfortunately the master server's support for custom builds is not great. From my own testing rphys servers don't even show up on srb2.org's server browser.

Hey call me a dummy, but does anybody know how to install this? I'm new to using custom builds and have been trouble shooting for quite a bit.
I really wanna try this mod out so any help is appreciated!

Hey call me a dummy, but does anybody know how to install this? I'm new to using custom builds and have been trouble shooting for quite a bit.
I really wanna try this mod out so any help is appreciated!
If you are on Windows just download the zip, extract the contents into your srb2 folder and run the exe. If you are on Android there is an older version available here but there's a good chance it will crash during startup on your device. I'm waiting for the issues with the 2.2.11 Android port to be fixed before compiling the new version as the startup crash should no longer occur at that point.

If you are on Windows just download the zip, extract the contents into your srb2 folder and run the exe. If you are on Android there is an older version available here but there's a good chance it will crash during startup on your device. I'm waiting for the issues with the 2.2.11 Android port to be fixed before compiling the new version as the startup crash should no longer occur at that point.
That's actually one of the first things I tried but it didn't work! Luckily though it worked when I installed a fresh copy of SRB2 and ran it through that folder. I think it didn't work on my first copy because I had another custom build in the same folder (Uncapped Plus). Idk if that was the issue but it's working now so I have no complaints! Thanks for the help! <3

Hello. I noticed that since commit "12411441de" from source code in GitLab, I have issues with compiling SRB2 rphys on Linux (tested on Arch, Ubuntu and Gentoo). I am getting error: unknown type name 'INT8' . Here is current output from compiling code from commit "55fde4e6935e" using branch "rphys" in attachment. I used this command to compile make -j4 LINUX64=1 NOUPX=1 NOOBJDUMP=1 NOVERSION=1

Attachments

• SRB2_RPHYS_ARCH_LINUX_GCC_LOG.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Hello. I noticed that since commit "12411441de" from source code in GitLab, I have issues with compiling SRB2 rphys on Linux (tested on Arch, Ubuntu and Gentoo). I am getting error: unknown type name 'INT8' . Here is current output from compiling code from commit "55fde4e6935e" using branch "rphys" in attachment. I used this command to compile make -j4 LINUX64=1 NOUPX=1 NOOBJDUMP=1 NOVERSION=1
should be fixed now

should be fixed now

Thanks for looking into it. I managed to compile it successfully, but unfortunately I found an issue with running compiled game. It throws SIGABRT with buffer overflow on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (compiled build with gcc version 11.1.0 (Ubuntu 11.1.0-1ubuntu1~20.04)) and SIGSEGV on Gentoo (compiled build with gcc version 12.2.1 20230428 (Gentoo 12.2.1_p20230428-r1 p2)). I used the same command make -j4 LINUX64=1 NOUPX=1 NOOBJDUMP=1 NOVERSION=1 to compile BTW. Outputs of game are in attachments.

Attachments

• SRB2_RPHYS_UBUNTU_20.04_LOG.txt
    5 KB · Views: 50
  • SRB2_RPHYS_GENTOO_LOG.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Thanks for looking into it. I managed to compile it successfully, but unfortunately I found an issue with running compiled game. It throws SIGABRT with buffer overflow on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (compiled build with gcc version 11.1.0 (Ubuntu 11.1.0-1ubuntu1~20.04)) and SIGSEGV on Gentoo (compiled build with gcc version 12.2.1 20230428 (Gentoo 12.2.1_p20230428-r1 p2)). I used the same command make -j4 LINUX64=1 NOUPX=1 NOOBJDUMP=1 NOVERSION=1 to compile BTW. Outputs of game are in attachments.
Could you try compiling https://git.do.srb2.org/katsy/SRB2/-/tree/rphys-dev branch? It contains only the rphys changes while the main branch has a bunch of stuff from upstream merged in. It would be helpful to determine if the problem is my fault or not.

If the crash still happens, try blanking the contents of rphys.pk3 and running the game again. There's no MD5 check for that file so the game should boot as long as it exists.

Could you try compiling https://git.do.srb2.org/katsy/SRB2/-/tree/rphys-dev branch? It contains only the rphys changes while the main branch has a bunch of stuff from upstream merged in. It would be helpful to determine if the problem is my fault or not.
I compiled in "rphys-dev" branch too and I still got those errors. I attached new logs.

If the crash still happens, try blanking the contents of rphys.pk3 and running the game again. There's no MD5 check for that file so the game should boot as long as it exists.
I tried two versions of modified rphys.pk3 - removed all files and blanked text files from "rphys.pk3" using Slade 3.2.4 and 3.1.11 and still same errors. I used "rphys-dev" branch too. If it was not what you meant, please guide me or provide link to the guide, so I can do this part correctly.

Attachments

• SRB2_RPHYS_UBUNTU_20.04_LOG_SLADE_REMOVED_CONTENT.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 51
  • SRB2_RPHYS_GENTOO_LOG_SLADE_REMOVED_CONTENT.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 52
  • SRB2_RPHYS_UBUNTU_20.04_LOG_UNMODIFIED.txt
    5 KB · Views: 53
  • SRB2_RPHYS_GENTOO_LOG_UNMODIFIED.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I compiled in "rphys-dev" branch too and I still got those errors. I attached new logs.

I tried two versions of modified rphys.pk3 - removed all files and blanked text files from "rphys.pk3" using Slade 3.2.4 and 3.1.11 and still same errors. I used "rphys-dev" branch too. If it was not what you meant, please guide me or provide link to the guide, so I can do this part correctly.
I thought it may be related to lua startup, but I guess not. Unfortunately I have no clue why it crashes on your system. The only chance I could fix it is if you can provide a more detailed backtrace using gdb and the .debug binary.

big update

This is the full update I had planned for 2.2.11. It's a bit late so the previous patch was just to make the exe work in the meantime.

Here's the summary of changes:
  • Implemented speed degredation:
    • Works similar-ish to classic Sonic games but its effect is weaker. You'll lose speed while above normalspeed in the air except while spinning or during special conditions such as being recently sprung or interacting with certain gimmicks.
    • The following vanilla abilities...

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back