RIP Windows 10

InfernoDragonGrowtopian

Subscribe: Skeletal Dragon (@SkeletalDragonSRB2)
Wait a sec... Why Windows 10 PC is End of Support in Oct, 14 2025
I Wanted play some SRB2, No security updates, and malicious malware

It's almost like Windows 11 actually works.

Seriously, what the heck? You're so biased. My laptop hasn't exploded yet and it uses Windows 11. /srs

The real pain is that not everyone has a PC that meets the minimum specs to upgrade to Windows 11, and among them there's also plenty who also can't afford to upgrade to one that does. Windows XP was famously given an extension on it's lifespan, giving users time to upgrade to Vista and 7 before it finally dropped support which softened the blow quite a bit. In this case though, there's no inbetween version to upgrade to for extended support, you either spend money you don't have to be able to upgrade to the next version or get screwed over, and it's got a lot of people online furious.

The real pain is that not everyone has a PC that meets the minimum specs to upgrade to Windows 11, and among them there's also plenty who also can't afford to upgrade to one that does. Windows XP was famously given an extension on it's lifespan, giving users time to upgrade to Vista and 7 before it finally dropped support which softened the blow quite a bit. In this case though, there's no inbetween version to upgrade to for extended support, you either spend money you don't have to be able to upgrade to the next version or get screwed over, and it's got a lot of people online furious.
Shoooooot....I forgot about that.
My mom can't use Windows 11.
Man, now I feel stupid.

(but in my unnecessary defense, a lot of people complain about how many updates there are in windows 11 so i got confused)

Last edited:
Why Windows 10 PC is End of Support in Oct, 14 2025
The first version of Windows 10 was released in July 2015, that's a ten years period.

You've got two options: Either upgrade to Windows 11, or upgrade to a GNU/Linux operating system.
  • If you choose Windows 11, I recommend you use Rufus, it can download the Windows 11 installation disc, flash it to your USB drive so you could boot from your drive and install it, and it also asks you for custom (safe) patches for the Windows 11 installation, such as bypassing the arbitrarily high system requirements (e.g. disabling the requirement for a TPM) and allowing you to install Windows 11 without a Microsoft account. (EDIT: If you do use Rufus, I also recommend you open the "advanced format options" and enable "quick format", "create extended label and icon files", and "check device for bad blocks" with 1 pass, but if your USB drive successfully passed a bad blocks check once, then you should not enable the check again.) After the installation, I recommend you use O&O ShutUp10++ and AppBuster. This should make Windows 11 much faster and not track you anymore.
  • If you choose GNU/Linux, check out these sites:
    EDIT: Many GNU/Linux operating systems have instructions on their websites for how to put their installation on your USB drive. If you want, you can also use Rufus instead.

Last edited:
Also, SRB2 will still work on Windows 10 after Microsoft's support ends for it. You're at just as much risk of getting infected then as you are now.

Heck, you can play the most recent version (2.2.11 as of writing this) on Windows 7.

It's even more important to note that even after XP's support was technically over, Microsoft still committed to releasing 3 updates, one of which was as late as 2019. Also, support actually kept going until Windows 8.1 was the latest, and Windows 10 being only but a slightly modified 8.1 at the time.

You're at just as much risk of getting infected then as you are now.
That's not really true. Windows updates are kind of like a tug of war battle between malware creators and Windows Defender being able to protect people's PC's from the latest new malware. The safest that you can get is to be keeping Windows up to date so that you're as protected as possible in the event that you for what ever reason end up somehow having such malware on your device.

Once Windows 10 stops getting regular updates, you'll remain safe for a brief window of time after the end of support update drops but once new malware starts getting around that the increasingly out of date Windows Defender can't deal with, your system only becomes more and more insecure with time. Of course, you could be paying for third party malware defenders, but that's still not going to keep your system as safe as it would have been if Windows itself was still getting regular updates.

To be blunt about it, remaining on versions of Windows that are no longer supported is a security hazard in general. That goes for outdated versions of operating systems, and it goes for the entire operating systems themselves when they reach the end of their support period. If you care about doing everything you can to prevent your device from being compromised, you need to migrate off such insecure versions onto something more secure, such as in this case an up to date version of Windows 11 or Linux.

even after XP's support was technically over, Microsoft still committed to releasing 3 updates
They didn't exactly commit to anything, they just realized how serious it would be if left unpatched, so they released updates despite having no obligation (not even morally) to do so.
Windows updates are kind of like a tug of war battle between malware creators and Windows Defender
Security updates don't have much to do with Windows Defender, or any other antivirus program. Rather, security updates are about fixing security vulnerabilities and flaws in software, whether it's Windows or any other software program. Also, Windows Defender could potentially keep getting database updates past the End-of-Life (EOL) date of Windows 10. These are really two separate things.

(3 years ago) I downloaded SRB2 2.2 but Windows 7 is out of support Jan, 14 2020 (RIP Windows 7 & SRB2 2.1)

Last edited:
(3 years ago) I downloaded SRB2 2.2 but Windows 7 is out of support Jan, 14 2020 (RIP Windows 7 & SRB2 2.1)
You can still run SRB2 on Windows 7, if SRB2 isn't working on it then you've got bigger problems. Glaber uses Windows 7, and he can still run 2.2 just fine. If you're concerned about security... why? No official SRB2 download is dangerous. As long as you download it from srb2.org, you should be perfectly fine, nothing will harm you.

As for Windows 10, the same applies. I don't think SRB2 will drop support for Windows 10 anytime soon, especially given the current marketshare of Windows 11 (23%); compare with 10 (71%).

They didn't exactly commit to anything, they just realized how serious it would be if left unpatched, so they released updates despite having no obligation (not even morally) to do so.
To be fair, they were still supporting the embedded versions at the time so you could technically say that the XP lineage was still under the M$ umbrella.

SRB2 Software Survey:
Windows 10 64 bit (71.9%)
Windows 11 64 bit (51.4%)
Windows 7 64 bit (23.9%)
Windows 8.1 64 bit (23.2%)
Windows 7 (23%)
Windows Vista (1.06%)
Windows XP (0.20%)

Coming Soon:
Windows 12 64 bit (???)
Windows 12.5 (???)

Last edited:
You can still run SRB2 on Windows 7, if SRB2 isn't working on it then you've got bigger problems. Glaber uses Windows 7, and he can still run 2.2 just fine. If you're concerned about security... why? No official SRB2 download is dangerous. As long as you download it from srb2.org, you should be perfectly fine, nothing will harm you.

As for Windows 10, the same applies. I don't think SRB2 will drop support for Windows 10 anytime soon, especially given the current marketshare of Windows 11 (23%); compare with 10 (71%).

To be fair, they were still supporting the embedded versions at the time so you could technically say that the XP lineage was still under the M$ umbrella.
I actually now run SRB2 on 3 systems. A Win 7 pc, a Win 10, and Steam Deck (Steam OS/Linux)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back