Recolouring Many Sprites at once?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throw them into your favorite picture editor i.e. Pixia or Photo Shop. MS Paint is fantastic at replacing colors too!

Fiddle sticks. I thought you were asking a real question. There's probably not a program in the universe that can recolor multiple sprites with one click. If you find one congratulations, you've just made a mod that no one in the universe will appreciate.

Last edited:
If you plan on just converting some old sprites to make it look right in the new version, then look here.

If you want to make parts of a sprite a different color (something like making the crawlas' bodies gold or eggman's mustache pink) then you can use XWE's color remaping system. I don't remember exactly how to do this, since I don't have access to any mapping tools anymore. I think when you select a sprite lump, you can click images and select something like color remap.

Wait, if I use Color Remap, that doesn't seem to do all sprites at once, just the one you select.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

AND you have to go slightly hexadecimal(?) with palette colour numbers

IIRC SLADE also has color remapping; just highlight all the lumps you want to recolor before using it.

You can also try highlighting all the lumps in XWE, but I don't know if that works.

AND you have to go slightly hexadecimal(?) with palette colour numbers

If the Fox is fuzzy about what this means let me refer you to the color chart
http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Color_Codes

The colors are Hexadecimal. (hex is Greek for 6) the codes are each; 3 pairs of numbers. the first 2 designate red intensity. The second 2 are green and the last 2 are for blue. The color map linedef page on the Wiki may be helpful!
http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Linedef_Type_606

If the Fox is fuzzy about what this means let me refer you to the color chart
http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Color_Codes

The colors are Hexadecimal. (hex is Greek for 6) the codes are each; 3 pairs of numbers. the first 2 designate red intensity. The second 2 are green and the last 2 are for blue. The color map linedef page on the Wiki may be helpful!
http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Linedef_Type_606

You should probably also note that "decimal" is Latin for 10, and that none of this really matters since it's not base 6 nor base 10, but base 16.

And these in turn don't matter to color remapping sprites, because they just use base 10 anyway. The colormap linedef and those color codes have nothing to do with skin colors!

SLADE's color remap function is really useful because of it supporting mass sprite editing, so you could recolor every sprite in the WAD at the same time if you wanted to.

I think SLADE only supports it in the SVN version though, last I checked it wasn't in the official release. I don't know the address to their SVN though, the link on their website used to work but now it just redirects to a blank page. :<

If your talkin' about the exact same name, you should be able to multi- select the lumps either by dragging your mouse through the list while holding right-click or by holding the Ctrl key while you click one at a time. once your lumps are highlighted, left click on the whole batch and all your editing options (including rename) will show up.

Just as a forewarning:
OK, how about renaming a ton of lumps at once? To the same name?
I very urgently recommend against doing this. The game generally expects to only read one lump with a given name at a time, and if it finds multiple lumps with the same name, it'll only read a single one of them - and I've got no clue which one it'll settle on (it's probably either the first one it finds or the last one, but since I don't know which, I can't guarantee the result).

There are a scant few situations where this sort of lump name overlap is okay - the various lumps associated with maps, for instance, although even then they have to adhere to a fairly strict order, and must be preceded with the relevant MAPxx header lump, lest bad things happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back