• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Radiant Way v. 0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chibs

Just Someone
UPDATES:

*****(December 25, 2008)*******

Hi Hikaru

(I want my ops back now, plz)

*****(October 30, 2008)*****

irc://irc.esper.net/radiantway <--- Yep. That's the Radiant Way channel. you can discuss Radiant Way with me on there.

*****(October 26, 2008 1:36 PM CST)*****

Radiant Way--Promo 2

*****(October 19, 2008 5:05 PM CST)*****

Radiant Way--Promo 1

*****(October 2, 2008 7:54 AM CST)*****
I forget to mention there is a dev blog at the following website:
http://radiantwaymod.blogspot.com/

*****(October 1, 2008 12:22 PM CST):*****
Layout will work as follows:
Upon completing a Zone, you will warp to the Zone's Adventure field, which you can use to re-access the levels from the Zone, look for goodies, or progress to the next Zone.

(12:57 PM CST):
Beta testers, if you can, try contacting me in IRC. If my nick is Chisuun|AWAY|, though, I'm not on at the moment.

Things to do list:
Make Zone 1 Act 2 look better, and lower the ceilings. Complete
Start Zone 2 Complete
Soup up the Mount Dawn Adventure Field. Complete

That's it for now.

Radiant Way

This is a mod I've been working on for about a month and a half by now. The current version contains the entire first zone, "Mount Dawn."

Upon completing the zone, you will unlock the Adventure Map, will you can use to access the levels.

Screenies (lots of them!):

DOWNLOAD (0.1.1)(1.19 MB):
http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/399scr_radiantway.wad

NOTE: There are some Dash's World functions in here, so be sure to play it in Dash's World, too![/b]

Hmm..this is fairly good. Here's my rationg on each of them:

Mount Dawn 1 8/10
Honestly like the layout for this level. It requires sonic to slow down rather than thok-thok-done. I have to admit that I was more inclined to follow the mountainside path than search underwater. Purusing the level with knux (when I test levels, I use knux due to the forgiveness he tends to offer), I was easily able to top the mountain at the end. My suggestion: make it unclimbable.

Mount Dawn 2 7/10
Had to take points off for this one. Too quick even as knux. Took me 1:45 with the shortcut at the beginning.

Mount Dawn 3 5/10
It's a boss battle. And I have no problem tearing down bosses.

Overall a good mod. Could you maybe add on to it, make it a bit longer?

Angelus_the_echidna said:
Hmm..this is fairly good. Here's my rationg on each of them:

Mount Dawn 1 8/10
Honestly like the layout for this level. It requires sonic to slow down rather than thok-thok-done. I have to admit that I was more inclined to follow the mountainside path than search underwater. Purusing the level with knux (when I test levels, I use knux due to the forgiveness he tends to offer), I was easily able to top the mountain at the end. My suggestion: make it unclimbable.

Mount Dawn 2 7/10
Had to take points off for this one. Too quick even as knux. Took me 1:45 with the shortcut at the beginning.

Mount Dawn 3 5/10
It's a boss battle. And I have no problem tearing down bosses.

Overall a good mod. Could you maybe add on to it, make it a bit longer?

I'll add more to the next release. However, I plan to update it once I have completed the next 2 zones and their adventure fields, so, it could be a while.

The issue with the levels being short isn't a huge problem. Most first levels don't usually take more than 40-50 seconds.

I wouldn't set the no climb flag to the mountain for Knux cause that takes away from his ability.

If you liked this, Angelus, you won't be disappointed with the next release. But it might take awhile. Just hang with me...

Adventure fields?? Oooooh. Well either way take your time, and don't let obnoxious people get you down. And to be honest, I do look forward to the next part coming out.

And don't think of it as taking away from knux, but as stopping people from cheating. I use bind commands a lot, so that when I play, I can just switch to the character I need at that moment, then switch back to sonic (yes, netgamers. My secret's out).

Mount Dawn Zone Act 1, 5/10
OK, this isn't bad, but it's not good. I like how you, at the beginning, created an interesting path without having any turns. That's not easy. The bustable block room was quite interesting, too; it reminded me of Sonic Heroes. You need work on your aesthetics and lighting, and you need to remember how high springs launch the player. Also, the area at the beginning wasn't cramped, but the sector layout consisted of too much tiny things. Your death pits are broken; and I could not find the Exit Sector.

Mount Dawn Zone Act 2, 8/10
Wow. From a gameplay standpoint, this is quality stuff, man. This beats some of the stuff Boinciel pushes out. Cramped in many places, but definitely not in a bad way (except for getting stuck at one area). I was able to go very quickly through this level without having it be boring at ALL. Enemy placement was quite impressive, too. But it needs work on putting the proper height variations regarding Springs. The underwater passageway at the end needs some death pits to make it just a little less bland. The biggest problem I see is the fact that you can fall off one path which will push you way behind in the stage. D: Finally, underwater Star Posts for the win.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Mount Dawn Zone Act 1, 5/10
OK, this isn't bad, but it's not good. I like how you, at the beginning, created an interesting path without having any turns. That's not easy. The bustable block room was quite interesting, too; it reminded me of Sonic Heroes. You need work on your aesthetics and lighting, and you need to remember how high springs launch the player. Also, the area at the beginning wasn't cramped, but the sector layout consisted of too much tiny things. Your death pits are broken; and I could not find the Exit Sector.

Yellow Spring: 384 fracunits. Red Spring: 1024 fracunits. Blue Spring...I forget, but I know it's under 100...
That area at the beginning is a bit cramped, I'll fix that up.
And death pits broken? Maybe that was from when it was a DW mod.

Mount Dawn Zone Act 2, 8/10
Wow. From a gameplay standpoint, this is quality stuff, man. This beats some of the stuff Boinciel pushes out. Cramped in many places, but definitely not in a bad way (except for getting stuck at one area). I was able to go very quickly through this level without having it be boring at ALL. Enemy placement was quite impressive, too. But it needs work on putting the proper height variations regarding Springs. The underwater passageway at the end needs some death pits to make it just a little less bland. The biggest problem I see is the fact that you can fall off one path which will push you way behind in the stage. D: Finally, underwater Star Posts for the win.

The next version will definitely have better scenery in Zone 1 Act 2, it was something I was looking into a few days before posting this topic.

Chisuun said:
Yellow Spring: 384 fracunits. Red Spring: 1024 fracunits. Blue Spring...I forget, but I know it's under 100...

I believe the blue spring launches you up 128 fracunits, but I'm just guessing, since I don't remember it either.

Monster Iestyn said:
Chisuun said:

I believe the blue spring launches you up 128 fracunits, but I'm just guessing, since I don't remember it either.

That's Sonic's jump height, so...pointless object in some cases?

Chisuun said:
Monster Iestyn said:
Chisuun said:

That's Sonic's jump height, so...pointless object in some cases?

No, because Sonic doesn't jump that high.

Monster Iestyn said:

I seem to recall that he did.
I think later (not now, I'm a little busy) I'll post a to-do list of things I need to do and suggestions from critics.

Two words: Wow. You've amazed me so much that I've forgotten that "wow" is not 2 words! Good work!

Not sure if this is the greatest idea but, anyway, here I go:

Sometime on Saturday, I will be hosting a net game which will, hopefully considering I get some progress done between now and then, show off some new interesting stuff. I'll update the first post when I get a time set.

Well, I can't really say that the level are really good in my opinion, but the Adventure Field idea was great!

I have almost the whole day to work on Radiant Way today, so expect an update sooner than expected. Though I'll probably spend most of the time on the first Adventure Field.

Chisuun said:
Monster Iestyn said:

I seem to recall that he did.
I think later (not now, I'm a little busy) I'll post a to-do list of things I need to do and suggestions from critics.

he jumps 100. Blue spring is somewhere over 100 but under 150.

Sorry guys, apparently, I was unable to host on the Master Server. I'll try this next weekend, and try to actually get a working server this time. Though, judging from the amount of attention this mod has gained, no one really cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back