Quick Character Switching...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saph

I was once playing a netgame with someone, and I noticed that several times, he instantly changed from Sonic to Tails, to fly up a wall, and then instantly back to Sonic. He definately didn't visit the Player Setup, 'cause he was moving the whole time. He even told me it had something to do with the config file... can someone tell me how to do that? ^^

They have commands bound to certain keys, like this:
Code:
bind "1" "skin sonic"
bind "2" "skin tails"
bind "3" "skin knuckles"
I personnally don't allow people to use them in my server, since they can be abused easily to remove each character's disadvantages. About the only thing I use them for now is testing levels, since it's nice to be able to switch characters quickly to test different things.

Well, most people consider it cheating, but it's done with binds. Binds work by binding a key to a console command, in the form "bind key command". The console, opened by hitting ~ by default, lets you use keys

The file autoexec.cfg keeps binds to load every game. For instance, here is the text of my autoexec:

Code:
 alias camoff "chasecam 0; crosshair 1; alwaysmlook 1;"
 alias camon "chasecam 1; crosshair 0; alwaysmlook 0;"
 alias cheat "noclip; god;"
 bind 1 "skin sonic"
 bind 2 "skin tails"
 bind 3 "skin knuckles"
 bind z camoff
 bind x camon
 bind c screenshot
 bind v cheat
Note the space in front of all of the lines, and you MUST hit enter to have a blank line at the end. Aliases are simply a string of console commands so that when I hit the key it does all of them. Hence, the binds that say " bind 1 "skin sonic"" switch between the characters. Note the quotes on any bind with more than one word in the command.

Note that in the next version, you will not be able to switch characters while moving, so that option will be no longer possible to abuse. I generally suggest having the binds to save time when you watch to switch, but don't do it more than once a round. It's considered cheating to do what your friend is doing, because it's abusive to the game's rather weak balance.

Huh... I guess you're right about the whole cheating thing.. but thanks anyway, this'll be helpful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back