Questions Regarding Sonic Team Junior's History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm...

From reading the White Glove Diaries, you and Sonikku figured the game would be finished by 2000. Was that simply the worst estimation in history, or were your plans for the game different enough back then that that was a reasonable estimate? (If the latter, why'd you change your plans?)

SRB2 was planned to be a Sonic-only game, and largely just progressing through mostly static stages collecting rings and hitting enemies. Once we found out what we COULD do, there was massive feature creep.

SRB2Xmas is really about as far as we really imagined the game originally being, from a technical standpoint.

Well, I just spent the last ten minutes trying to think of other questions to ask, and I'm stumped. SRB2's development has actually been pretty straightforward, even though it moves at a snail's pace.

Here's a random thing I was curious about: How come you're credited simply as "SSNTails" in the 2.1 credits, while everyone else uses their real name as well? After all, you freely let people know your name's A.J. Freda, so I'm not sure why your name's not in the credits.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Is there a way to view a member list on this forum? A lot of member lists allow me to modify the results where it can search for people based off of their forum rank.

Double posting because I just realized I never answered this.

This is what you want.

SSNTails, i have some questions.
1.Were Doom Ship Act 2 and Egg Rock Act 2 ever started? (I mean back in 1999-2000, like those old beta levels.)
2.Why don't the Early screenshots from 1999 and Original GFZ2 exist anymore? Did you get rid of old computers that had the files?
3.What happened to diving mode? There were some posts about it in news archives, but it never got made.

Last edited:
He ghost-wrote some levels for 2.0, such as a large part of one Deep Sea act and a few rooms in Castle Eggman Act 1 (which were originally Deep Sea rooms).

Case in point:
20uelvb.jpg
(That's DSZ1, by the way)

I don't understand what you mean with the CEZ1 rooms though.

How come you're credited simply as "SSNTails" in the 2.1 credits, while everyone else uses their real name as well? After all, you freely let people know your name's A.J. Freda, so I'm not sure why your name's not in the credits.

Actually, I've never let people know my name freely, it's kind of just been passed around by others.

1.Were Doom Ship Act 2 and Egg Rock Act 2 ever started? (I mean back in 1999-2000, like those old beta levels.)

Nope.

2.Why don't the Early screenshots from 1999 and Original GFZ2 exist anymore? Did you get rid of old computers that had the files?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'original GFZ2'. The original GFZ2 is the second half of GFZ1, up to the spikes. Demo 1 probably has the closest GFZ1 to the early GFZ2.
As far as some of the early screenshot stuff, I'm pretty sure the screenshots themselves still exist, it's mostly the stages you see in Demo 1 & 2 but with a different wall texture.

3.What happened to diving mode? There were some posts about it in news archives, but it never got made.

Hehehe, one of the quit screens even mentions it (Demo 3?). There was an old forum/IRC member, AKA2000, who would make a big swimming pool stage and do multiplayer with it. It was kind of a joke, but I was looking at including it as an official game mode, maybe having to jump through a series of NiGHTS hoops to get the best score.

Case in point:
20uelvb.jpg
(That's DSZ1, by the way)

I don't understand what you mean with the CEZ1 rooms though.

While DSZ2 contains some pieces of VERY early (1999) DSZ, that's not what I was talking about. He actually did some significant active level work for DSZ during 2.0's development. A really big chunk of DSZ1 is all his.

Actually, I've never let people know my name freely, it's kind of just been passed around by others.

*looks down at your signature advertising Roly Poly Putt and TraceRace*

You sure?

I mean, yeah, I guess there's never been anything that's explicitly stated "SSNTails = A.J. Freda", but it's exceedingly trivial to figure out using just the content provided by yourself. =/

I'm not sure what you mean by 'original GFZ2'. The original GFZ2 is the second half of GFZ1, up to the spikes. Demo 1 probably has the closest GFZ1 to the early GFZ2.
As far as some of the early screenshot stuff, I'm pretty sure the screenshots themselves still exist, it's mostly the stages you see in Demo 1 & 2 but with a different wall texture.
So if I'm understanding it right, the original GFZ2 was the part from the first checkpoint until where the spikes use to be?

Eh, mostly, other than the point where the two are merged together. It used to be a much smaller space.

Demo 1 came out just a month or two after that video was made, so I think it's largely unchanged from the video other than the wall texture.

I got a question for SSNTails. What do you think of 2.1? Is it good in your eyes or would you have made things differently?

I got a question for SSNTails. What do you think of 2.1? Is it good in your eyes or would you have made things differently?

I think some of the difficulty is unbalanced and unfair. There are also some bugs that I would have caught before release. But that's more due to experience than any special bug-finding of myself. I especially like the Metal Sonic race, and don't really feel it's unfair... I actually fare better with Knuckles/Tails racing him than Sonic. :P

I'm glad they kept him in the game as a separate 'thing', but I'm disappointed the old Black Eggman had to go. Not so much because he was 'good', but because of the concept -- you didn't defeat him by attacking him directly. I think that makes a boss fight infinitely more interesting.

Sure is weird seeing that old GFZ, and then DSZ right next to it as it's relatively newer to us.

The bits of DSZ that you see in the video were pretty much IT. Then the level sat for years and years untouched.

DSZ2 is largely a giant merge of several different iterations of DSZ... the 1999 version, the little 2000 one I made featured in that video, Mystic's version, and lots of new sections made by me.

Yo SSN! Is there anything that inspired your style of art?

The Sonic OVA, Earthworm Jim (cartoon), uhh... can't think of anything else right now. I don't really remember. o_o

Stealth worked on SRB2 at one point, didn't he? What happened with that?

I think the old history page has some detail on that. We had very different ideas about development process, and I think we were all a little amateur at the time... for example, Mettrix that that point was a single giant .c file. I think Sonikku and I were also caught off-guard that he wanted some input on the game design process, which we were not expecting (however, we should have).

Last edited:
were there any mods made for srb2 back in the demo 1\2 days?

It doesn't look like it. I once looked at the 0.X and 1.X Outdated Releases sub-forum, and there weren't any that I noticed. If there were any of these Demo 1/2 releases, they must've been on an older version of these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back