• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Question About Palettes: MUST be green?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well hey all, I just discovered Srb2 this week, so I figured I'd dive right into making add-ons. I've been modding on the PC for a while, so I've got some experience.

I'm taking it simple for my first project, and making a version of Sonic using some Sonic X-Treme frames I found. The part I'm concerned about is the palette. Do I absolutely have to make the sprites green? It seems to me like you'd only want the parts green that would change when used in multiplayer, from looking at the Shadow WAD.

No you don't, but you do have to have it as a row of 16 colors. Otherwise, it'd look wierd. Green was used because it transalates well to the other colors, but red has been attempted... Just try switching colors as Knux.

hotdog003 said:
Otherwise, it'd look wierd. Green was used because it transalates well to the other colors
And because it's the default color, and I don't think startcolor has existed quite as long as the sprites have.

I'll been putting my frames into a preliminary wad to see how they look, and when I try to load the game, I get an error message that says "Bad frame characters in lump 2524." Related?

You have to finish the WAD before you test it.
Also, you have to have the last couple of lumps lowercase letters, see sonic.plr for example.

Check the order of another character wad, and then try to get it exactly as how it's loaded. Also, make sure no sprites are missing, and everything's in order in the S_SKIN.

Sure, noone bothers mentioning the fact that we've had an Xtreme character wad since before the very first beta of SRB2 because it was used as the test character before the Sonic we have now was drawn up...

Pointless, JTE. It would have to be remade anyway. Don't you realize how many times the character wad format has been revamped in SRB2?

Tets, it's in my SRB2Ween port (recently updated for 1.09), the only thing you could possibly want to change is the character stats, as I modeled them after the crazy ones in SRB2Ween :\

I'm not really doing it to fill a void in the wad selection, it's more like these sprites are easily available, fill all my needs and give me a chance to learn. Truthfully, once I get it down I'd really like to remake Knuckles or make Mario, or some other mascot like that. I have a bunch of ideas about how well doing screencaps of Mario 64 or something of that nature would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back