Portal (the one by Valve) wad or soc file: where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvaderKap

EDIT: *coughcough* Never mind. As stated below, I sincerely apologize for my stupidity. If my endeavor cannot be accomplished, however, please reply saying so.
Reason: http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Actions_(SOC) pretty much tells me most of the stuff I need to know.

Okay, so I'm going to make a Portal wad or SOC file (referring to Portal by Valve corporation) that essentially, if my head is set straight, turns ringslinger on and changes the slingitem to a thing that I'm going to make representing a blue portal. I'm also going to make a thing representing a red portal. Each time a slingitem is shot, the slingitem is changed from a portal of the current color to a portal of the other. I know that I'll be able to make these things because we already have teleporters, and because of the fact that I know that slingitems can interact with the floor, ceiling, and walls because every time a standard slingitem is fired at any of these things it disappears on impact. I also know that you can execute commands based on the input of firing a slingitem, because without automatic ring, you can't fire several slingitems at once; a waiting period is begun based on the fact that you have fired a slingitem. I also know that changing the slingitem is possible, as shown by the effects of weapon rings. Therefore, I personally believe this might work. So my questions to you are these:
1. Can this be done?
2 (if 1). Can this be done in a wad or SOC file?
3 (if 1 and 2). Which, if only one, and if not only one, would it be correct to say both?
4 (if 1 and 2). What program would I start with?
5 (if 1 and 2). What language, if necessary, would I use?

I've looked at the wiki, but I didn't see anything about creating things. Either I wasn't looking well enough or there is no such article. For my own ego's sake, I'd much prefer to think that there is no such article, but if there is such an article, which I prefer to doubt, I sincerely apologize for my stupidity.

(Admins, this looks like (Z)Ash already.)

Making a portal that works exactly like the one in Portal is impossible. Faking it is probably possible, but it would be easier with EXE coding than soccing. With bare wadding and no soc knowledge, it's impossible. If you're looking for a bare-bones easy way out, try looking at ShuflarB2's teleport ring soc.

BlueZero4 said:
(Admins, this looks like (Z)Ash already.)

Making a portal that works exactly like the one in Portal is impossible. Faking it is probably possible, but it would be easier with EXE coding than soccing. With bare wadding and no soc knowledge, it's impossible. If you're looking for a bare-bones easy way out, try looking at ShuflarB2's teleport ring soc.

Right, then. Thank you. I'll acquire soc knowledge, then. Lots of it. And then I'll try this. I'd prefer not to take the easy way out, because that would involve using someone else's work on a finer scale than SRB2 itself (not counting the fact that Portal was developed by Valve, and who knows where its gaming concept came from). Don't get me wrong; faking it is my intention. I'm not going for crazy flashy effects like being able to look through one and see out the other, or even conserving momentum; I'm just going for what is essentially a pair of mutual teleporters that can be fired as automatically interchanging slingitems. If, however, conserving momentum is possible, which I'll be seeing about, I will be going for that. And as for (Z)Ash, I don't know who you're referring to, but I suppose I don't need to, as I am not an admin.

The teleport ring isn't an easy way out, moreso that it's already been done. It captures some of the basic gameplay of portal in that it moves YOU from point A to B. It can't move other objects, however.

Can it technically be done in the same way as Portal? Yes.

Is it feasible? No.

You would have to code in the ability to display oval shaped sections that display the level geometry that appear through the other side. Would also require perspective correction for software and sprites that can be viewed straight down from above and and...

So yeah, good luck with that.

well, it could be done with a good amount or SOCing skill...

Such as edit Sonics maincfg so it fires a custom object that when its speed becomes 0, it opens as the portal sprite, and drops a teleport type box, and make it so the second one fired ends up having the Teleports endway, so to speak.
If that is confusing to you, than I will try and clear it up

and start with Socedit.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back