Orsland 2021

Orsland 2021 3

Ors

Custom User Title
Ors submitted a new resource:

Orsland 2021 - Orsland 2014, in 2021!

First of all, a massive shoutout to romineblox0 who started porting this pack and did probably most of the work.

Let's start with a bit of history. In January 2013 I released a pack called Orsland, which contained maps I made when I was 11-13 years old, and it really showed. Nevertheless, quickly after the release of the initial version, Eddie20, TS Dude (now WellDoneSnake) and A Cat joined the project, and their work would be...

Read more about this resource...

I remember finding this level pack a couple years prior and thinking it was alright. I didn't exactly complete it, and I still haven't quite completed it either, so here are a couple of my first thoughts, for now (sorry in advance if I sound overly critical):

Some of these levels have not aged very well. Many of the levels after Rainforest Rampage feel a bit cramped, and some rely heavily on platforming and slightly frustrating gimmicks. The biggest example I can think of are the crushers at the end of Cool Castle Act 1, where they go up and down quickly, giving you very little time to squeeze through them.

It also seems odd that the 2.0 bosses are used here (though, admittedly, I am glad to see modders making use of my Retro Bosses addon), yet the enemies have been "updated" to their 2.2 counterparts. Badniks like the Robo-Hood and Egg Guard have slightly updated behavior in 2.2, making the contrast even more apparent. Speaking of bosses, Mine Madness's boss in particular can be rather frustrating, due to the ring-eating lava that wasn't present in 2.0.

I've only gotten up to act 1 of Space Show, but so far, I still think this level pack is pretty alright.

As a side note, I never realized this before, but the Sonic doodle in the intro cutscene looks eerily similar to how I used to draw Sonic (I'd post an example, but I can't find any good ones right now).

it was fun porting this old 2.0 lvlpack! i think i'll port more stuff from old versions
what about porting the old version itself :knuxsmug:
2.0 itself
im porting 2.0 right now...er trying to (for fun)
idk sorry if this is a mod suggestion this was originally meant as a joke

Last edited:
lol idk, just porting old 2.0 level design doesnt seem that hard, but other stuff like chars or badnik behavior is hard, unless you use glaber's badnik pack or midiman's boss port (with old mace behavior which is cool i think)

Not sure if a recent SRB2 update broke something in this but the soundtrack doesn't seem to work correctly, so you're left with okay-ish levels with a silent background.

Not sure if a recent SRB2 update broke something in this but the soundtrack doesn't seem to work correctly, so you're left with okay-ish levels with a silent background.
There was an update that removed music slot compatibility, which this map pack exclusively uses. I've created a SOC file that fixes this; load it after Orsland itself. If any of Orsland's authors object to the SOC file, I will delete this post.

Attachments

• Orsland_2021_Music_Fix_by_Nerf.soc
    5.3 KB · Views: 116

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back