• O.K.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sucks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW

I love how it looks, i just love running around in there, but its to laggy on my computer even if I'm the only one playing the stage. I think the flags are a little to close but its still fun to play:)

on Edge said:
You regestered two days ago. Why do you expect anything?

He has been a lurker for awhile. He said so in the introduction thread. Also, you spelt "registered" wrong *shot*.

Sonict

Andy said:
'Kay, first off, what's a HOM bug?

Hall of mirrors. When a texture is missing in software, it creates a weird effect where all of your actions are shown atop the missing texture like thousands of mirrors. In OpenGL, it becomes a REDWALL, but HOMs are still possible in OpenGL.

on Edge said:
You regestered two days ago. Why do you expect anything?
Joined Date does NOT equal how long someone has been here. I don't understand why you're being so cocky, but it's very distasteful. Everyone can lurk around. As a matter of fact, I've been around here longer than you, despite my Joined Date (truth, also to some people; wink wink >.> (2003/2004, around the transition of Demo 4.35 and 1.08)).

Nice to see you finally got an account, Nastra. Also, thanks Segmint, I'll see if I can fix that in my map. I'm also curious on what exactly can causes lag and all that stuff so that I may fix it. One person has told me too many sectors but I checked my map and I don't think I even have more than 200.

after a look at the map in DB, the problems I find are simple:

Control sectors use all linedefs for the FOFs; only one linedef on the control sector need be used for this purpose.

Identical control sectors for separate FOFs; a single FOF can be placed on two separate sectors at once by using the same control sector for both, but a different linedef for each sector it goes to. This saves a bit of space on the map, and makes it less CPU intensive by reducing the FOF count.

Grid missalignment; several vertices, linedefs, and sectors are displaced slightly from the grid at sizes 32, 16, 8, and 4. This is a common problem that occurs when performing movement actions while still having some other things selected, and the displacement is fairly uniform within each area. Not really a big problem, really, but kind of annoying.

Some in-level that could be merged without ill effects remain separate.

Finally, the use of FOFs in place of lower unpegged linedef textures for the placement of flags.

All these are things that I may fix if I find the time; but I can't really play a map as complex as this with my computer being as slow as it has been recently. Andy, I'd like it if you would contact me on IRC so I can find out what is intentional and what is not among the stuff I see in the map so that my changes do not conflict with what the map is supposed to be like.

Releases Section Rules said:
R1. The releases section, and some topics in Editing, are designed to be used for constructive criticism. There seems to be some questions about what constitutes constructive criticism around here, so please use these helpful examples:
"This WAD is awful. Here's why: List" - Constructive. This clearly explains what is wrong with the WAD and even how it could be fixed.

"This WAD is awful." - Not constructive. This doesn't explain anything about the WAD, and simply states a useless opinion. Keep this junk off the forum.

"This WAD is awesome." - Not constructive. Just like the previous, this simply states a useless opinion. Mindless positive feedback is just as useless as mindless negative feedback.

"You are awful." - Not constructive. This is a direct flame of another user, and is strictly forbidden on all forums.
With this in mind, remember that all WADs posted on these forums will be criticized. If you don't want the public tearing apart your WAD and telling you what you did wrong, don't post on these forums. However, if you'd like to get feedback on your WAD, and suggestions on how to make it better, you're in the right place.

I honestly feel the Administrators should be adding day long bans (not part of the Strike system) or something to enforce this properly. NO ONE follows any other part except R2.

Prime 2.0 said:
after a look at the map in DB, the problems I find are simple:

Control sectors use all linedefs for the FOFs; only one linedef on the control sector need be used for this purpose.

Identical control sectors for separate FOFs; a single FOF can be placed on two separate sectors at once by using the same control sector for both, but a different linedef for each sector it goes to. This saves a bit of space on the map, and makes it less CPU intensive by reducing the FOF count.

Grid missalignment; several vertices, linedefs, and sectors are displaced slightly from the grid at sizes 32, 16, 8, and 4. This is a common problem that occurs when performing movement actions while still having some other things selected, and the displacement is fairly uniform within each area. Not really a big problem, really, but kind of annoying.

Some in-level that could be merged without ill effects remain separate.

Finally, the use of FOFs in place of lower unpegged linedef textures for the placement of flags.

All these are things that I may fix if I find the time; but I can't really play a map as complex as this with my computer being as slow as it has been recently. Andy, I'd like it if you would contact me on IRC so I can find out what is intentional and what is not among the stuff I see in the map so that my changes do not conflict with what the map is supposed to be like.

I'm guessing most of those things you listed are what possible caused the lag and stuff in my map. Thanks to BlueZero, I now know how to do the flag placement without using FOFs. Thanks for highlighting most of the stuff I needed to fix. If I get the time, I'll probably fix all this and maybe even update it since it's so hard to play in right now. But I've been busy these past days on other things. I'll see if I can catch you on IRC but with my timezone so different from your's, assuming you live in the U.S, it might be hard.

I couldn't see any HOMs or bugs in openGl, but I don't know about software.

This would be great for a team game with a lot of players because the size is just huge and there are the side wings to control and stuff. I like the flow of gameplay and I appreciate the fact that there are multiple routes to take to the enemy base.

Yes in something like doom legacy, this redwall you speak of does it because there is actually no skin over the model. If it is bordered by a sky texture however there will be nothing. This even happens to upper textures when you heighten the ceiling with f_sky1. In software this is a problem because if you go into this "hole in the sky" it will block out your vision of the other sectors around you. Redwall doesn't exist in certain source ports and in opengl it is handled differently.

Yuni said:
Spazzo said:
Andy, this level sucks. Never make levels again. D=

Spazzo, you should stop and look at your levels too. They're not that amazing...
Um..if you had read the rest of Spazzo's post, you would have realized that he was kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back