• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

OC - Windmill Hill Zone WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimate

a scar in time...
This is a level I started back in 1.94 but lost the motivation to continue when many of the textures I used were lost in 2.0. This is my first completely original level design. Its name is Windmill Hill Zone. It is an opening/first level type of stage. So far, it is very incomplete and there are almost no decorations or details concerning aesthetics. Regarding the windmills, there are two types: The larger windmills will shoot you up into the sky when you roll through them. The smaller windmills will cause you to float in the air if you are close to them.

I'm hoping to continue this once mystic realm is ported, that way I get the textures back (yay!). Anyways, I was wondering if any of you have tips, suggestions, criticisms, and whether or not you'd even consider playing this level. Thanks!
EDIT: Also I'm planning to change the ugly beige base of the windmills to a less ugly texture ^^"
Oh! I almost forgot! Thank you very much Prime. I haven't forgotten when you helped me optimize the level way back when. I learned so many new things about wadding because of your help. Thank you!

The opening of the stage -
srb20001-3.png

Getting shot out of a windmill -
srb20008-1.png

srb20011.png

srb20017.png

Last edited:
I can't remember the last time someone actually created a stage that looked good. I am also looking forward to this.

I'm hoping to continue this once mystic realm is ported, that way I get the textures back (yay!).

Couldn't you just convert the textures you need from the pre-2.0 Mystic Realm to the 2.0 pallete?

Besides, that looks much more like another Green Hill Zone than a zone of your own. =/

Thanks Bbop and metal! I'll try to finish it as soon as I can ^^

Couldn't you just convert the textures you need from the pre-2.0 Mystic Realm to the 2.0 pallete?

Besides, that looks much more like another Green Hill Zone than a zone of your own. =/

I tried converting them when 2.0 first came out, but I couldn't figure it out. But, with all the help on the wiki now, I think I'll try again.

Yes, the textures and atmosphere are a lot like Green Hill Zone. The two ring triangles and 1-up are even a reference to GHZ. I just loved the spirit that GHZ had and want to try and recreate it in an original level design. Even with these similarities, I can assure you that the level plays much differently than GHZ :P

Last edited:
I tried converting them when 2.0 first came out, but I couldn't figure it out. But, with all the help on the wiki now, I think I'll try again.
Probably not necessary. The MR port will be released shortly (and this time, it's not even a lie). Then again, converting graphics isn't too hard.

It's been a while since I've seen you at work, Ultimate. It's a great start, and a nice theme, but it seems to be plagued by your greatest weakness--a tendency to make everything boxy and square. I've seen you do this before, and it has really hurt what would otherwise have been decent creations. Don't fall into this trap again; a level like this needs a natural feel. Make the platforms smoother, with different angles and more elaborate contours, instead of a bunch of boring boxes. Trust me, it is necessary if you want this level to be all it can be.

Probably not necessary. The MR port will be released shortly (and this time, it's not even a lie). Then again, converting graphics isn't too hard.

Oh wow, awesome! I won't have time to work on this until winter break, so this sounds perfect! Thanks for the info!

It's been a while since I've seen you at work, Ultimate. It's a great start, and a nice theme, but it seems to be plagued by your greatest weakness--a tendency to make everything boxy and square. I've seen you do this before, and it has really hurt what would otherwise have been decent creations. Don't fall into this trap again; a level like this needs a natural feel. Make the platforms smoother, with different angles and more elaborate contours, instead of a bunch of boring boxes. Trust me, it is necessary if you want this level to be all it can be.

Haha, actually...I never really even thought about how boxy everything was, but now that you mention it, I completely agree! I almost started laughing when I looked at my level after reading your post! It's very true! I'll keep this in mind, thanks for the tip fawful :P!

Last edited:
No problem. Good luck! I will certainly try this out when you release it.

Last edited:
I think the windmills should have a trinagle roof, like a pyramid instead of being square shaped to the very top. =X

I dunno, I kinda like the windmills with square tops. Though it might look better to make them a tad slenderer.

I think the windmills should have a trinagle roof, like a pyramid instead of being square shaped to the very top. =X

Ah, the reason why I left them flat is because you're going to be going on top of several of these windmills, so you need somewhere to stand :P

I dunno, I kinda like the windmills with square tops. Though it might look better to make them a tad slenderer.

I might try thinning them out a bit. We'll see :P

Does the fact that that post is three weeks old account for anything either?

Anyways, I like the looks of this map. I might try it out when it's submitted.

And just incase there are still missing textures, Use a copy of xwe that's still set up for 1.09.4 and extract the textures you need from the wad that has them. Then with a copy of XWE set up for 2.0 import them into your wad.

Easy.

And just incase there are still missing textures, Use a copy of xwe that's still set up for 1.09.4 and extract the textures you need from the wad that has them. Then with a copy of XWE set up for 2.0 import them into your wad.

Easy.
Yeah, very easy. Now compare it to SLADE, where you select all graphics in the wrong palette, open up a menu and convert them all at once. XWE is simply not a very effective program for doing operations on a large number of files.

I'd say it's about as effective a paint is for image editing. Not the best choice, but can still do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back