• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Nothing to see here, project canned. Ah well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guitarplaya

My 'world' Mod is in construction. The levels:

Urban Citadel (done)
Atnae Coast (done)
Shard Peak (doing)
Goo Factory (done)
Dying Hills (planned)
Rocky Road (planned)
Eastwind Temple (planned)
Others, unplanned so far.

Descriptions:

UCZ:

Your average 'dark city' level. Includes cars, foundry, houses, awnings, etc.

ACZ:

Similar to JCZ, has a few beaches, platforms, interesting landscapes, and Greenflower type areas.

SPZ:

Ice/snow level with lots of pillars. Will include a 'catsle', some caves, and high-tech areas.

GFZ:

Like THZ, but with GOOP01 and AFALL1 on the slime. Has lots of 'Goo Tubes', a pipe area, several repeated gimmicky ideas, and an 'enemy observation' area.

DHZ:

Yes, there will be a catsle after all. Think Greenflower with CEZ textures, and wider areas. And LOTS of pillars.

RRZ:

'Western' desert type place, will include similarities to the screenshots of test levels in the texture design contest that is currrently running in Announcements.

ETZ:

Temple-ish level in the sky. No grass, so don't think AGZ.

Other gimmick ideas:

Nimawia Grotto will not be continued as it would end up too cramped for SRB2.

Lake? Infested Lake was half-revived a while ago. Will be a Race level if anything

Ashlands? Black Valley Zone was originally planned as an MT level.

A few screens from the finished levels:

http://www.imagehuge.com/out.php?i=10645_srb20159.png
Urban Citadel - car in garage. Custom made and a bit crappy.
http://www.imagehuge.com/out.php?i=10864_ACZ.png
Atnae Coast - first beach. There's two of these.
http://www.imagehuge.com/out.php?i=11016_srb20164.png
Goo Factory - vat of slime. There's two of these too :P
http://www.imagehuge.com/out.php?i=11412_srb20165.png
Shard Peak - near start area. Don't think that the scenery is like this the whole way through, it's not. But some is ^.^

Just so you know, the Zones will be one level each.

Anyway, DL Link (yep, 2shared FTW) (update 3):
http://www.2shared.com/file/3015303/8bf113db/scmrt_guitarplayasworld.html

Have fun, criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Ooh a level with cars? That seems interesting.

Maybe a hint: When v1.1 comes out, you could imitate a car crash with linedefs such as the polyobjects.

Looks like a nice start in the beach level screenshot, but... since when does everyone else have a "World" mod?

But you get the general idea, DashFox2007 - he must have been seeing many users work on their 'world' mods.

123Runite has one;
I have one;
Wild bex has one;
GemEarthBrandon has one;
Azure Hawk has one;
Even you have your own.

Well, just updated the first post to include the details of Rocky Road Zone.

EDIT: Goo Factory has been finished. Yes, before Shard Peak. I felt like doing it first ^.^

Updating first post...

EDIT2:

Eblo the Hedgehog said:
Ooh a level with cars? That seems interesting.

Maybe a hint: When v1.1 comes out, you could imitate a car crash with linedefs such as the polyobjects.

That would be... hard. Geez, the cars alone were hard enough themselves.

Monster Iestyn said:
But you get the general idea, DashFox2007 - he must have been seeing many users work on their 'world' mods.

123Runite has one;
I have one;
Wild bex has one;
GemEarthBrandon has one;
Azure Hawk has one;
Even you have your own.
...that's not everyone. I'd just like to note that al of the major level packs don't have names that are like "Hey, <insert> made this!"

Well, except for Mystic Realm, but it's entirely possible to argue that Mystic imbedded his name into the title with some degree of excellence.

I wonder if Mystic actually noticed the match when he thought in the name... because most likely he didn't :P

The fact that my name is in the title of Mystic Realm is not accidental. Turns out the original name was "Mystic Level Pack". Naming things is not my strong suit.

Mystic said:
The fact that my name is in the title of Mystic Realm is not accidental. Turns out the original name was "Mystic Level Pack". Naming things is not my strong suit.

Well, you named your levels well. Unless someone else gave you the names.

BlueZero4 said:
Monster Iestyn said:

123Runite has one;
I have one;
Wild bex has one;
GemEarthBrandon has one;
Azure Hawk has one;
Even you have your own.
...that's not everyone. I'd just like to note that al of the major level packs don't have names that are like "Hey, <insert> made this!"

Well, except for Mystic Realm, but it's entirely possible to argue that Mystic imbedded his name into the title with some degree of excellence.

Of course that wasn't everyone - I was giving examples, including myself.

(Actually, I'm not exactly sure what is the difference between 'World' mods and other sort of mods... If it's that world mods have their maker's name in it, then my Doomsday Pack mod and Azure Hawk's Raw Mobius mods would be out of the list.)

From the beta, I can see that you need to put more scenery in your levels. Atnae Coast could have a lot of more scenery, and Urban Citidal also could have a lot more scenery, the cars look pretty strange too.

Well, this was decidedly "meh". A lot of really bland areas with no decoration and no real clear way to go. The acts included were very short and generally featured little decoration and a lot of Jetty-syns. You also are placing your rings close enough together that the collision detection bugs up and you go through some of the rings when thokking.

On the positive side, I liked the beach level's basic layout, and the factory stage's slime falls were nicely done. It just feels like there isn't much to any of the stages at all.

Updatead fist post. Now you get to play SPZ ^.^ By the way, all the levels have been done on paper.

EDIT:

Mystic said:
Well, this was decidedly "meh". A lot of really bland areas with no decoration and no real clear way to go. The acts included were very short and generally featured little decoration and a lot of Jetty-syns. You also are placing your rings close enough together that the collision detection bugs up and you go through some of the rings when thokking.

On the positive side, I liked the beach level's basic layout, and the factory stage's slime falls were nicely done. It just feels like there isn't much to any of the stages at all.

Yeah, UCZ and ACZ were reasonably short. Then again, so is GFZ1. They are start acts. Also, could you suggest some scenery ideas and/or where I should put them? Not sure exactly what you mean.

Are you rushing the levels?

Hello Guitarplaya.

You said:
By the way, all the levels have been done on paper.
How much time do you spend on planning/drafting out each level? It seems way too sudden. Please pace yourself, and don't rush them, as they won't turn out great in the end.

Mystic said:
The acts included were very short
In addition to the previous statement, short levels that lack scenery take only a little time for preparation. Once again, don't rush your level construction.

Mystic said:
You also are placing your rings close enough together that the collision detection bugs up and you go through some of the rings when thokking.
It seemed that you didn't take my suggestion in your UrbanCitadel topic. I've only noticed the spring placement change and a small pipe addition.

Chrome the hedgehog said:
Atnae Coast could have a lot of more scenery
All beaches contain outstanding scenery. If not, why would people go to beaches in the first place? If it's just a plain area with just sand and water, like a barren desert just excluding the water, people won't go to the beach. For this, if it lacks scenery, people won't feel like playing the level.

(edited) Monster Iestyn said:
World mods that have their maker's name in it...
I'll just mention that my title, World of 123 Runite, is still unofficial, as said in my Zone Layout document in my computer (I haven't mentioned the planned zone names and such here in the forums).

In brief, please take more time when planning out your levels, as well as taking the time in making them. Great levels take at least a week to make them, well, depending on the amount of hours taken each day. Think of constructing buildings in the real world. It takes months just to get the blueprints ready, as the building(s) should be absolutely perfect to avoid disastrous damage.

For those who are questioned by this, yes, quoting does take a lot of space, but it diminishes the need to move back and find out what the previous person said.

I hope this helped.

Well..

The city and factory stages are horrible. Do them again. I couldn't tell where to go in either of them, and the city has these retarded white things... wait, are those cars? Gah, they look like Atari cars.

The Beach stage was pretty good though, and should be your first level in the pack.

The Snow stage was too big, too flat, uses more than one theme (reminds me of a winter-themed STJR Carnival) and the NiGHTS Music is just not right for the stage. I see you haven't incorporated low-friction floors into the map and I'm glad you haven't. Ice floors should be used sparingly.

All stages break I'll Begin's first unofficial (and mostly personal preference with no actual road-testing) law of SRB2 mapping. Enemy use. All you stages use all enemies (but however are still still are as easy as pie). Instead, by my crappy law:
Zone 1 should primarily Blue Crawlas with an occasional Red Crawla on medium and hard.
Zone 2 should introduce Red Crawlas into the mix, with a couple of Gold Buzzes.
Zone 3 should have, in terms of ground units, mostly Red Crawlas with very few Blue ones. Buzzes are used more often and a JettySyn Gunner or Bomber wouldn't hurt.
Zone 4 and up should have similar enemies to Zone 3. Buzzes and Jetties can be use more and more often. By Zone 5 you can have a couple of Red Buzzes, and by Zone 7 there should be no Gold Buzzes.
The occasional JettySyn Bomber isn't bad on places with high walls, that can be bypassed with a spring or an alternate route. Like, maybe one per 1000 fracunits. This can stop Knux and probably even Tails, but not to a stage where it can be annoyying.
I'm never sure what to do with JettySyn Gunners, but they could probably be used wherever there's a Bomber.
Crawla Commanders. None in Zone 1. At most one per zone on Zone 2. At most one per level at Zone 3 and up. At most one per area with max of 5 per zone in Zone 5 and up. They're commanders, you don't see tonnes of them. And most of the time if they're placed in the same place, they can be owned all at once.
Detons. Only use them in tight corridors with corners, so you have a chance to escape from them. Use them very sparingly.
Skims. Used in places with deepish water at Zone 3 and up. Less annoyying JettySyn Bomber.
Give the player a little safe spot at the start of the map, and don't throw the character into a swarm of JettySyn Gunners as soon as the level begins. Ease them into it, even in the later levels. No flying enemies near the start.

I'll Begin said:
Well..

The city and factory stages are horrible. Do them again. I couldn't tell where to go in either of them, and the city has these retarded white things... wait, are those cars? Gah, they look like Atari cars.

The Beach stage was pretty good though, and should be your first level in the pack.

The Snow stage was too big, too flat, uses more than one theme (reminds me of a winter-themed STJR Carnival) and the NiGHTS Music is just not right for the stage. I see you haven't incorporated low-friction floors into the map and I'm glad you haven't. Ice floors should be used sparingly.

All stages break I'll Begin's first unofficial (and mostly personal preference with no actual road-testing) law of SRB2 mapping. Enemy use. All you stages use all enemies (but however are still still are as easy as pie). Instead, by my crappy law:
Zone 1 should primarily Blue Crawlas with an occasional Red Crawla on medium and hard.
Zone 2 should introduce Red Crawlas into the mix, with a couple of Gold Buzzes.
Zone 3 should have, in terms of ground units, mostly Red Crawlas with very few Blue ones. Buzzes are used more often and a JettySyn Gunner or Bomber wouldn't hurt.
Zone 4 and up should have similar enemies to Zone 3. Buzzes and Jetties can be use more and more often. By Zone 5 you can have a couple of Red Buzzes, and by Zone 7 there should be no Gold Buzzes.
The occasional JettySyn Bomber isn't bad on places with high walls, that can be bypassed with a spring or an alternate route. Like, maybe one per 1000 fracunits. This can stop Knux and probably even Tails, but not to a stage where it can be annoyying.
I'm never sure what to do with JettySyn Gunners, but they could probably be used wherever there's a Bomber.
Crawla Commanders. None in Zone 1. At most one per zone on Zone 2. At most one per level at Zone 3 and up. At most one per area with max of 5 per zone in Zone 5 and up. They're commanders, you don't see tonnes of them. And most of the time if they're placed in the same place, they can be owned all at once.
Detons. Only use them in tight corridors with corners, so you have a chance to escape from them. Use them very sparingly.
Skims. Used in places with deepish water at Zone 3 and up. Less annoyying JettySyn Bomber.
Give the player a little safe spot at the start of the map, and don't throw the character into a swarm of JettySyn Gunners as soon as the level begins. Ease them into it, even in the later levels. No flying enemies near the start.

Ok, you guys have a very good point. I think it would be easier to start a different level than try and redo these ones. That would just be too hard.

As for the NiGHTS music, that was XMS NiGHTS, and I thought it fit very well.

Anyway, canning...

I'd say practice making individual maps first; experiment and explore a bit more before starting an actual modification. It'll help develop your wadding knowledge, and will help to create wads of a higher standing in the future!

Ash said:
I'd say practice making individual maps first; experiment and explore a bit more before starting an actual modification. It'll help develop your wadding knowledge, and will help to create wads of a higher standing in the future!

Yeah, that's what I'm doing now. Working on Flower Vally Zone 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back