Newbie creator alert! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkAngel

Hey there.

Just trying to get into level designing.
I'm using Doombuilder as I still have it from my experiments with designing levels for Doom.
I tried following the level editing tutorial on the SRB2 site, but when I tried making thok barriers, it got all screwed up, lol
Does anyone have a tutorial that's specifically made on Doombuilder rather than the Wadauthor one?

Also, I can't find the F_SKY1 texture, or any other sky texture in the floor/ceiling texture options. If I was to create my own sky texture, would it work the same way as F_SKY1 when I used it in a level?

Thanks for any help :)

F_SKY1 is just the default sky. Wherever you want a sky, you put "F_SKY1" as the texture name. You can change the sky texture in the level header.

Chaos Zero 64 said:
More than 5 questions that are the same. People really need to check the irc channel first before making a new topic.
No, that's ridiculous.

For once, we have a legitimate question. Give him some space.

Basically, if you're familiar at Doom at all, a thok barrier is another sector on the outside of the map that basically encircles the entire map, with a floor and ceiling height of the same number. It's designed to keep Sonic from being able to thok out of the level, because a normal 1-sided linedef isn't strong enough to keep Sonic in the stage. It's also necessary for Knuckles to climb the outside walls, as he can't climb on 1-sided linedefs properly.

I don't know how Doombuilder sets up creating a sector on the outside of the map, but WadAuthor doesn't let you do it nice and easy, hence the complex explanation. The basic thing you have to do is create a sector that goes around the entire map.

What do you mean wadauthor doesn't let you do it easily? You make the sector, make the heights the same, then make the level inside O_o.

Shuffle said:
What do you mean wadauthor doesn't let you do it easily? You make the sector, make the heights the same, then make the level inside O_o.
He means creating a thok barrier after the stage is complete. That's a lot harder to do in WadAuthor than doing it before it. Trust me ^_^()

you select everything, cut it, create a giant 1 sided sector with both heights the same, then repaste the level inside.

Nice trick. Too bad I didn't know that in 2002. Of course, almost all of my stages that I thok barriered manually have different sector heights for scenery, so I guess it's okay. ^_~

For Doombuilder, just make a sector encircling the entire stage. Easy as pie.

I've been meaning to write a Doombuilder tutorial for a while, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Yeah, thanks for the tip :)

I think I've figured out the trick with them now, still get some odd bugs here and there, but I'm getting the hang of it now.
The Wad Author tutorial is still useful. Just a case of figuring out how to do the same tricks in Doombuilder.

If I get everything working, I might enter my test map in that level design contest :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back