Netlink- HELP NEEDED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erm (Clears throaat) As many of you on IRC know, I am making a special version of SRB2 that is optimized for netgames. I kinda needed some help on this, so here are some positions that would help:
Compiler
Graphic Designer
Sounds Um... Creator
Music Composer
Maps Maker

Anything else is already covered, but any help would be appreciated anyways. PM me for a copy, or go to my IRC channel @ #srb2netlink.

(In a nutshell, I'm asking for help.)

So SRB2, you finally listened to me and brought it up on the forum. Bravo. I'll help with any testing procedures.

Ever thought of not splitting SRB2 into two for no reason? It would be nice if you didn't do that.

If you really have made worthwhile optimisations for netgames, you can tell me what you did and I'll put it in the real SRB2, but I've been hearing from people that your version is laggier anyway.

It would be nice?
bah. I like causing havoc.

Anyways, I've already taken care of that, 0.25 and up have COMPLETE compatibility with other SRB2 versions.

Stupid people who have tried this have tried 0.1, the terrible version I rushed to release. Pandimodium set in, for a total of THREE incompatible versions of 0.1 were released. Once things calmed down, I actually did something for a change.

If it is still compatible, then you haven't done enough to make it worthwhile.

Quite simply, a source port optimized to multiplayer is a "bad idea (tm)". I get them all the time.

Why not just make a level pack of multiplayer levels for an Addon? Doesn't require any source modifications, and would be just as fun, without the waste of time.

Mystic, while that may be true, I'd rather just create a Netgame
version with more options ect. AND do addons and stages.
It works both ways, and everybody wins.

But if you're putting in new options, wouldn't it make more sense to integrate them into the real game? Why make a new version when you can just put the new features into the normal version. No split, and everyone wins.

Basically, if you're adding worthwhile stuff, get it in the real game, don't keep it to yourself.

Keeping it... to myself? PAH!
Aside from the 0.35 beta, Netlink is highly
distributed and downloaded on #srb2netlink.

People seem to like it better now, so I'll just keep it.

Just think of it as ZDOOM vs. DOOM

Yes, but Doom isn't maintained by its original creator anymore. SRB2 is. Also, don't forget that on the next update of SRB2, you'll have to readd your changes again. If you get the changes in the real game, you'll have your mark on the game permanently. The point of open source is not so that you can make spinoffs, it's so you can contribute to the original project and make it better.

I don't mean keeping the file to yourself, I mean keeping the source modifications you made to yourself. We already learned from a441's betas that having weird exes floating around is really bad. The whole point of the 1.08 release was to get rid of the patch confusion and the exes making it impossible for newbies to figure out what they're doing. Don't ruin my job for your own ambitions. After all, I'm going to be the person who's going to get the questions about why it isn't working right.

Which is why in the ReadmeFirst!.txt file,
I stated that "Sonic Robo Blast 2 Netlink Edition is in NO WAY afflaited with Sega or Sonic Team Junior."

In fact, when you said that, I just added: "...netlink is currently
maintained by Mike Meredith, AKA SRB2 AKA Megasonic101 and isn't authorized or built in any way by Sonic Team Junior. Do NOT send any emails to them about this, send them to eith megasonic101@yahoo.com
or keltic8@msn.com."

Happy?

And as for future versions, I'm willing to add my work to new versions that come out in the near future, as long as my fanbase stays at its' moderate size.

If you change the VERSION #define, the game will automatically kick out people who don't have the right executables.

But, isn't that what I WOULDN'T want to do?
After all, I'm attempting to cross-link many SRB2 versions into
an intercompatible Netlink netgame, or would that just cause crashes?

You don't seem to get the key thing here. Anyone stupid enough to ask questions isn't going to read the damn readme. Instead, they're going to send an all-caps e-mail to my inbox how "IT DOSNT WORK!!!!!!!!11111111 FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!111111". Henceforth, to avoid any confusion, I'd REALLY rather you not do that. Because they aren't going to send it your way. I'd like to keep my questions to involving things like adding Shadow and not things that actually require more explanation than "Make it yourself, lazy ass."

However, I WANT you to make it give the "Wrong version" error. Otherwise, if you screw up, I get to hear about it. Of course, I'd much rather you add your damn code to the official game, so you don't need some random source port to have the features you added, whatever they may be.

What... what is this? Do you not realize that taking mostly different versions of one game and trying to link them together in a netgame would only cause strange, cryptic consistency errors? This will serve mostly to just confuse people.

[01:47] <Mystic> Alrighty, SRB2, lemme explain why "SRB2 Netlink" or whatever you're calling it is a "bad idea (tm)"
[01:47] <Mystic> #1) I get all the questions. I don't care what it says in the readme. Idiots aren't going to read that anyways.
[01:47] <SRB2> Proof?
[01:47] <SRB2> People arent that stupid
[01:47] <Mystic> Okay, what is your e-mail address
[01:48] <Mystic> I'll forward you a few things, and say that again
[01:48] <SRB2> *e-mail removed to keep assholes away*
[01:48] <Mystic> I get mail that makes the average newbie here look like Einstein
[01:50] <Mystic> I don't have most of them, because I delete most of the idiotic ones...these are just a few I kept because they were so dumb they were funny
[01:50] * NikJam takes a nap for who knows how long..
[01:50] * NikJam is now known as NikJam|Sleep
[01:50] * NikJam|Sleep is away at 10:52:22 PM on 02/20/04 - Stop being awake
[01:50] <SRB2> >I want to add Nack the weasel to Sonic Robo Blast 2, but I dont know
[01:50] <SRB2> what
[01:50] <SRB2> >program to use
[01:50] <SRB2> >SO could you send me a file and a program I can use to add him? I
[01:50] <SRB2> would
[01:50] * SS119|away is now known as SS119|on_AngelIsland
[01:50] <SRB2> >really appreciate it
[01:51] <SRB2> >Thank you
[01:51] <SRB2> > Email me at
[01:51] <Mystic> that one was recent
[01:51] <SRB2> And how is that related to the Netlink?
[01:51] <Mystic> it's not
[01:51] <Mystic> I'm just proving how stupid the fanbase is
[01:51] <SRB2> That's a simple "How do I make a WAD?" question
[01:51] <Mystic> I'm trying to find the REALLY bad one
[01:51] <Mystic> AHA!
[01:51] <Mystic> found it
[01:52] <Mystic> there...
[01:52] <Mystic> I get mails like that frequently
[01:52] <Mystic> Also, do note that this is reason #1...it goes on for a while
[01:52] <SRB2> Lord, almighty
[01:52] <Mystic> now, if someone like that found netlink and had a question, do you think they'd read the readme?
[01:52] <SRB2> erm
[01:52] <Mystic> If you do, you're sadly mistaken
[01:53] * SRB2 rethinks
[01:53] <Mystic> after all, they haven't figured out how to jump yet
[01:53] <SRB2> i could build the readme into the exe, and have it display a notice before the game starts...
[01:53] <Mystic> This is point #1, SRB2
[01:53] <SRB2> That would force them to look
[01:53] <Mystic> no it wouldn't
[01:53] <Mystic> just because it displays on boot doesn't mean they'll read it
[01:54] <SRB2> =/
[01:54] <SRB2> Go on, Point #2...
[01:54] <Mystic> #2) It adds a rift where one is not necessary. Making a source port of SRB2 creates yet another rift in a community that is already having trouble
[01:55] <Mystic> Unless you're doing something drastic, like changing the gameplay, there is no need to have a seperate exe file
[01:55] <SRB2> But I can't wait until it's finished to start the Netlink port, because we ALL know that it won't be!
[01:56] <Mystic> 1.09 isn't a rumor, SRB2
[01:56] <SRB2> Thats 0.01 higher than our current version
[01:56] <Mystic> it's just a patch
[01:56] <SRB2> And that is by no means the full version
[01:56] <Mystic> to fix all the damn bugs
[01:56] <Mystic> if you have issues with the game, stick it in the patch
[01:57] <Mystic> remember what happened when a441 released his own exe files?
[01:57] <Mystic> There is a major reason srb2v4 was the last one
[01:58] <Mystic> because it caused confusion
[01:58] <Mystic> a LOT of it
[01:58] * SRB2 sighs
[01:58] <Tets> And in the end, it's so much easier to just download one game instead of then having to go get your whatever-the-hell-it-is.
[01:58] <Mystic> The ENTIRE reason for 1.08 was to deal with all the patch issues from 1.01-1.04
[01:59] <Mystic> I basically forced them to make a new compile so I didn't have to deal with the newbie questions
[01:59] <Tets> Ah, the joys that come with open source.
[01:59] <Mystic> now you're trying to do it again, and as you can imagine, I'm going to fight this one until the bitter end
[02:00] <SRB2> Hold on, back up.
[02:00] <SRB2> I'm not using the open source that SSN included with 1.08. I did this manually.
[02:00] <Mystic> with what? a hex editor?
[02:00] <SRB2> And a few other things
[02:00] <SRB2> Yes
[02:00] * GKWX2 (GKWX2@ACC75AC0.ipt.aol.com) has joined #srb2netgame
[02:01] <Mystic> Uh, pardon me, but what the fsck is wrong with you?
[02:01] <Tets> God, that's even WORSE!
[02:01] <Tets> There'd be consistency errors all over the goddamned place.
[02:01] <Mystic> and there is no way to know why, either
[02:01] <Mystic> because the way we debug SRB2 is this thing called the "EIP"
[02:02] <Mystic> if you're tinkering with it without tinkering with the source, you're altering it so that the EIP is useless
[02:02] <Tets> Not everyone is going to want to use your magical program, and it probably isn't compatible with what it should be.
[02:02] <Mystic> basically, cease and desist, unless you want me defaming you in public
[02:02] <Mystic> if you want to help the SRB2 project, there are a ton of ways to do so
[02:03] <Mystic> we need textures, sprites, and maps
[02:03] <Mystic> all of which would be greatly appreciated
[02:03] <Msonic> sprites? :D
[02:03] <Mystic> Yes, I'm still hoping Donnyku can finish Shadow so I don't get 75% of the retards in my inbox
[02:04] <SRB2> Mystic, the point is, summed up, the SRB2 Netlink is a small little project I had in development for 3 stages. At it's 4th stage, it's done. It shouldn't be a huge deal, I just wanted to have a littl;e fun, editing SRB2 a bit or two along the way. I shall willingly finish Version 4 and publiclly discontinue it. That's the best I can do,Mystic.
[02:04] <Mystic> Man, a441's exes shouldn't be a big deal
[02:04] <Msonic> people are annoying you about the shadow thing, mystic?
[02:04] <Msonic> o.o
[02:04] <Mystic> but guess what
[02:04] <Msonic> ?
[02:04] <Mystic> they screwed up my sanity for a good 2 months
[02:05] <Mystic> I don't want you messing up my inbox for a little fun
[02:05] <Msonic> i wouldnt spam you
[02:05] <Mystic> not spam, retards
[02:05] <GKWX2> yes i want that shadow to
[02:05] <Tets> You're not part of the conversation.
[02:05] <GKWX2> ...
[02:05] <Msonic> ...
[02:05] <Mystic> and I get concentrated retard in my inbox about once a week
[02:06] <GKWX2> LOL
[02:06] <Mystic> it's like those juices from concentrate
[02:06] * SRB2 shoves GKWX2
[02:06] <GKWX2> Retard: wheres shadow ahh a sanke should i touch it
[02:06] <GKWX2> what?
[02:06] <Msonic> XP
[02:06] <Mystic> Retard Juice from concentrate! Add 3 cups of water and still
[02:06] <Mystic> *stir
[02:06] <Msonic> XD
[02:06] <Msonic> Retard: LEIK OMFG CAN I HAVE SHADOW.WAD?!?!?!
[02:07] <Mystic> that's intelligent enough to decipher, Msonic
[02:07] <Mystic> try this:
[02:07] <Mystic> [/-\|\| `/[]|_| 3-|\/|/-\|1 |\/|3 73|-| 5|-|/-\|][]\/\/ \/\//-\|]? | |\|33|] |7 `/[]|_| |=5[|<3|2. 1[]1[]1[]1!!!!!!!!11111
[02:07] <Msonic> O_o
[02:07] <GKWX2> lol
[02:07] <Mystic> that's about what I'm dealing with
[02:08] <Tets> Yes, some people on the internet truly type like that. Why, we don't know.
[02:08] <SRB2> Look Mystic, I'd love to wrap this up. The summary is, I am going to continue making verion 4, and when that's done, I will publiccally shut down the Netlink. Happy? i have enough retad email on my OWN fangames, thank you.
[02:08] <Msonic> Indeed
[02:08] <SRB2> And that's the best I can do.
[02:08] <Mystic> well if I start getting retard e-mail, I'm forwarding it ALL to your e-mail
[02:08] <Msonic> SRB2
[02:08] <Msonic> you should try wadding instead
[02:08] <SRB2> Okay
[02:09] <SRB2> Forward them all, I don't care
[02:09] <Msonic> ...
[02:09] <Tets> Doesn't matter if you drop it, the real idiots won't care.
[02:09] <Mystic> and seriously, what you're doing is rather useless
[02:09] <Mystic> I mean, what have you added anyhow?
[02:09] * s23_InBed is now known as s23_Sleeping
[02:09] <Mystic> I've used hex editing utilities, I know how limited they are
[02:10] <SRB2> Well, I WAS working on a level pack, plus Shadow built in character in 4.0
[02:10] <SRB2> WAS
[02:10] <Tets> Yeah... you change what's already there, that's about it. :D
[02:10] <Mystic> that can be done without an exe hack, SRB2
[02:10] <Mystic> and it would be a TON better without one, too
[02:10] <Msonic> SRB2, heres an idea.
[02:10] <Msonic> Start making wads :/
[02:10] <Mystic> a level pack is something that will be immediately popular if it is good
[02:10] <Msonic> yea
[02:11] <Tets> Yeah, folks love Poisoned Paradise.
[02:11] <Msonic> ;p
[02:11] <Msonic> In speaking of PPZ
[02:11] <Mystic> and if you attach an exe file to it, I will officially murder you
[02:11] <Msonic> *gets shot by tets before he gets to ask "hows PPZ?"*
[02:11] * SS119|on_AngelIsland enough of *shot* already shoots Msonic
[02:11] <Mystic> I might be forced to implement FUD to keep the morons away
[02:11] <SRB2> Along with some minor adjeustments. it's not the hugest project ever. Okay, tape this up, and hit the sack. I've got to get on with my life, Mystic.
[02:11] <Mystic> Well what you're doing is threatening MINE
[02:12] <Mystic> All the work I did on 1.08 is about to go out the fscking window
[02:12] <Tets> EXE editing isn't even needed, with socs. Of course I have no idea how to properly use them, but meh.
[02:12] <SRB2> really?
[02:12] <SRB2> how?
[02:12] * GKWX2 (GKWX2@ACC75AC0.ipt.aol.com) Quit (Ping timeout)
[02:12] <Mystic> Because as I've said, the WHOLE point of 1.08 was to eliminate multiple exe files
[02:12] <Mystic> that was the ENTIRE point
[02:12] <Mystic> not the DM maps, not the cool features, the point was to have one exe file in the community
[02:12] <Mystic> and ONLY one
[02:13] <SRB2> well, thank you for the compliments, I've gotta go. Mabey to #srb2fun or something. I need a freaking vacation.
[02:13] * s23_Sleeping (Sonknuck23@modemcable181.117-203-24.mc.videotron.ca) Quit (Quit: )
[02:13] * SRB2 (SRB2@0-1pool0-29.nas3.manchester1.nh.us.da.qwest.net) has left #srb2netgame
[02:13] <Mystic> wimp

I rest my case.

Hex editing srb2win.exe and causing me to get more crap in my inbox. No thanks. AJ, could you get it to check the CRC on srb2win.exe for 1.09 too? Then I wouldn't have to deal with THIS problem again...

Ha,ha, nice try, Mystic, but that doesn't phase me.
Public humiliation is something I have learned to tolerate, you know.

I did, however, state in there that
I would discontinue it. You weren't satisfied with
that, and that's the best I can do.

Pikawil that is very true, however, I want you to realize
that that really didn't humiliate me. Showing off OP powers is great,
Mystic, and I'm sure you probably have another way to embarass me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back