• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

NEO Emerald coast (Original stage, based on E.C concepts)

This feels more like apotos, which is not a bad thing as this is in my eyes is just better emerald coast.

I have a suggestion: use the Horizon Effect (linedef type 41) on the thok barriers so that the water stretches endlessly away from the level. Here's an example (a gif from SRB2 Heroes V4, back when I worked on it):
srb21833.gif
Otherwise, I like it! Keep going man!

This feels more like apotos, which is not a bad thing as this is in my eyes is just better emerald coast.
Mainly because Apotos is literally Greece, like 1:1 so that’s why it looks so familiar. I will maybe use some ideas from this region if they fit in.
I have a suggestion: use the Horizon Effect (linedef type 41) on the thok barriers so that the water stretches endlessly away from the level. Here's an example (a gif from SRB2 Heroes V4, back when I worked on it):
I’m happy that you like this stage, I never used the horizon effect propably because I misunderstood how it works. I only used skybox (only once though), so I finally should check how this effect works in game.
Post automatically merged:

srb20065.gif

It doesn't look like I expected (I don't have a clue what I'm doing and how it works).
I still don't understand how it works, I added the effect on thok barrier that has the same tag as the water around the stage if that helps.
Edit: why in the 'ell it works only in software mode :oh:

THE WHOLE ACT 1 DEMO IS OUT!!!
srb20068.gif

But with a small catch...
================================================================================
I got into mapping again in december of 2023, and since that time I was non-stop working on my projects, and throughout these few days or maybe even weeks I was finally starting to notice that I'm losing my creativity and drive to continue working, and the other thing is that I was kinda overworking myself without realizing it until I turned off the zone builder, and with overworking comes lack of time to do other things I like.
So I decided to release what I already have, the sections past the sign in the gif above are only visualy unfinished, other than that the stage is fully playable.
I want to make a much better ending for this act but I'm just unable to think of anything that would be a good summarize for this entire stage.
The difference between making a remake of already existing stage and creating a brand new stage from scratch is the level design, it's really draining to come up with fun and visualy pleasing sections on spot, and after act 1 I started to make the stage without planning ahead, which is even more draining because there's a bigger chance you will have to scrap sections which are already realized.
================================================================================
With that post I'm going on a small power break which will take a while, I'm sure that a bit of a breather will improve my level design skills for the ending and for the other act, or maybe even bonus acts if I get motivated enough again.
AND THIS BREAK IS NOT PERMANENT AND THIS MAP IS NOT CANCELED,
I WILL CONTINUE WORKING ON THIS MAP UNTIL IT'S DONE EVEN IF IT GOING TO TAKE MONTHS OF MY LIFE!

Anyway, I will still be active on this thread and on SRB2MB, and I will maybe make small showcases of level design or other concepts, so if you want to help me out a bit you can still share your criticism and ideas towards this build or this stage as a whole.
THE DEVELOPMENT WILL RESUME SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE, IN THE MEANTIME ENJOY THIS BUILD, BYE!! :>
BYE.gif

Attachments

• NEO_Emerald_Coast_Demo_Act_1.wad
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Just making a new post so people that are intrested in this map can know that I released a new demo (Read what the post above says tho, because it’s quite important)

Yo nice! I'll try it now, peace.

In the skateboard inspired place, the slopes don't work, it looks pretty baren, more foliage perhaps? Other than that, for a first level, it's really fun to play in!

Last edited:
Yo nice! I'll try it now, peace.

In the skateboard inspired place, the slopes don't work, it looks pretty baren, more foliage perhaps? Other than that, for a first level, it's really fun to play in!
In this section you’re meant to jump at the peak of the slope to get most height possible, but that might be confusing for some players so I might change it in someway, and even I noticed that this section looks kinda odd, maybe I just rushed the decorating a bit.
This section was kinda inspired by these slope surfing maps from CS:GO. I even made a small part when you have to ”surf” between a small patch of water.
And don’t you think that this stage is too long or drags on in someway?
I don’t know if people enjoy long stages, but maybe it’s motivating for the player to get better at the stage to beat it faster.

I like long levels :]
But quite alot fellas don't :(
I meant the whole level looks baren, but I still like it alot because of how good it is designed.

I like long levels :]
But quite alot fellas don't :(
I meant the whole level looks baren, but I still like it alot because of how good it is designed.
By baren you mean lack of details, depth, decorations or alternate paths? Also I don’t know if every artist has bad opinion on their works, but I always thought that my level designing was mediocore at best, but it seems I just lacked confidence in myself, that’s good to hear! And most will propably play this stage with modded characters, which are hopefully fast enough so people won’t get bored.

By baren you mean lack of details, depth, decorations or alternate paths? Also I don’t know if every artist has bad opinion on their works, but I always thought that my level designing was mediocore at best, but it seems I just lacked confidence in myself, that’s good to hear! And most will propably play this stage with modded characters, which are hopefully fast enough so people won’t get bored.
Yeah, that is what I meant.

OK, I played it again but this time with boostmentum. It was more fun like that. The ending can be atfirst like the orca chase sequence(orca not needed just a collapsing bridge) then run on water sequence (with the help of boostmentum) The wall made of clouds can be like the entering of the sea town.

Okay, I will try to do something with it, thanks for pointing this out.
Can you tell me in what parts tho, because some parts are more filled with stuff than the others.
The whole map except the end...

OK, I played it again but this time with boostmentum. It was more fun like that. The ending can be atfirst like the orca chase sequence(orca not needed just a collapsing bridge) then run on water sequence (with the help of boostmentum) The wall made of clouds can be like the entering of the sea town.

The whole map except the end...
You mean the whole map is baren expect the end or the other way around, and you can say from what part of the map exactly. Idk if that’s what you ment but the walls with sky texture are placeholders for the thok barriers which would be hard to modify if I wanted to change the shape of them.

The whole map is baren except the end. The end can be a Mach speed section like in the sonic 06 port.

Or just a section where you are running on a collapsing bridge.

The whole map is baren except the end. The end can be a Mach speed section like in the sonic 06 port.

Or just a section where you are running on a collapsing bridge.
I first want to expand a bit on the seatown section, especially on the Apotos/Greece part near the end.
But the mach speed section could actually work, I made a small demo on how it would work:
srb20069.gif

The ending of this act would be a one big speed section where you have to hit boosters to keep your speed and to make impossibly sharp turns to avoid falling off the course (into the sea for example), there would be hazards like a yellow booster that would send you backwards, it will be yellow so you can quickly distinguish which booster you should aim for (Or maybe just follow the ring trails), you will travel through all enviroments you saw up to this point, which will lead you to the end of act 1.
I make this up as go, so It's not the full idea yet, and there's a miniscule chance I might not even use it.

I listened to your advice and made a small test of adding more detail, I added fence, a small lookout spot on the second island (that's where the robo-hood is) and made the dashpad look like an actual dashpad, I really like how it looks now, I based it off how it looks in SA(1)
srb20070.gif

And it actually fits my enviroment-designing philosophy, it looks a bit more like it's a space made with humans in mind, mainly by fences and stuff.
(Ignore the fact that the only way to leave these islands is by using this comically large ramp that can be only used by professionals.)

Last edited:
That can be fun and introduce something fresh, I have feeling the folk will like.

This looks alot more alive now.

That can be fun and introduce something fresh, I have feeling the folk will like.

This looks alot more alive now.
After adding some small things, they're really making the stage look much better and less "unfinished" thank's for pointing that out in the first place. :wonderful:
====================
I'm going to add a small tour map at the first island after exiting the mountiain, the map is going to show how the area looked back when this place was safe for humans, or when it wasn't left behind to fall apart.

Made this little house, and a new sign before the stairs in the first jungle section. At first this small house was meant to be a ticket hut but I decided that I will let people interpret it thier own way.
srb20103.png

And yes, you can be a shop owner :>
srb20104.png

Added fences to this section and more plants.
srb20071.gif

NOW it looks like a cool stage, I just needed to add more life in it.
====================
I think my small break finally came to an end, mainly because I have a lot of ideas and I feel that creativity came back to me.
I guess I just had a small burnout that I blown out of propotion, it's propably because it was cold and dark outside when I made this post and it drained my happiness. Yes I need a lot of sun to function, I'm a plant made out of meat.
But from now on I will propably just work durning my free time (aka weekend), instead of using up all my free time to do stuff before another school-day.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back