Need help with making zoomtubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warp

BOOM
How do you make zoomtubes?

Ok, I read the wiki tutorial,but it is way too complicated and hard for me to understand.

Can somebody explain how to make them in a simpler way?

Oh boy, I like explaining things!

Ok, now how to put it... Your zoom tube is gonna be a sequence of points, defined by the Zoom Tube Waypoint object. Your first point will have an angle of 0 (for the first zoom tube) and each point needs to increase the angle by one. Now, in front of the first point, make a sector about 64 units thick, with a sector type of Zoom Tube Start, and give it an unused tag.

Now, make a new sector outside the map. The only thing you're looking for is the top linedef. Make it face straight to wither the left or the right, and give it a length determined by the speed (most use a length of 256). Give it a type of Zoom Tube Parameters, and give it the same tag you gave the Zoom Tube Start sector.

Now, if you want to be able to go back through the zoom tube, make a sector right behind the last point, and give it the same tag as the Zoom Tube Start sector, and give it a type of Zoom Tube End.

...If you can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you.

...If you can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you.
This is what pisses me off about almost every single tutorial on SRB2 Wiki.

You did not explain how anything works. You simply issued a list of arbitrary commands for a person to take in order to get a fixed end result. Everybody who doesn't know how a zoom tube works and reads your post will continue to not "understand" it, because effectively you didn't type anything that needed understanding, save for the fact that they're words and they're in english.

Not only are the tutorials bad, but so is the damn attitude! I mean, look at the Rope Pulley Creation Tutorial:
Voila! You have created your Rope Pulley! Test it. If something's wrong, re-read this tutorial.
I mean, what the fuck?

yay, swearing

SRB2 Wiki said:
Remember that YOU, the visitor, can contribute information to our Wiki! Just edit our existing articles if you can add information, or create a new one!

I agree with you that the Wiki tutorials aren't exactly the most well written material, and I'd love to sit down and do them all the right way, but I simply lack both the time, energy, and knowledge to do that. If you're so upset by the state of the Wiki, and you posses enough knowledge (which I know you do) on the intricacies of SRB2, then why not write your own tutorials on there? Give the community a monumental benefit instead of reminding everyone how much it stinks.

I just rewrote said tutorial, but I see that there's a crucial problem with tutorials on the Wiki: If you're new to level making, simple step-by-step instructions are probably exactly what you need. A complex explanation on how the the Zoom Tube system works would be too complicated for you. However, once you followed the tutorial, you will have no idea how to make a Zoom Tube on your own, since you haven't understood the idea behind it.

So here we are with a difficult problem: If we make step-by-step instructions, a newbie might be able to successfully make a Zoom Tube, but never understand how it actually works, but if we explain the concept behind it, he will quit in frustration because it's too hard to understand.

Well, an attitude of "Take it or leave it, I don't care if it helps" doesn't make things any better. We want helpful tutorials.

Well, why not have step-by-step instructions on how to make an example, and THEN explain each step and why it's like that?

Well, an attitude of "Take it or leave it, I don't care if it helps" doesn't make things any better. We want helpful tutorials.
What I meant is that the current tutorials just allow you to copy-paste a <map gimmick> without actually opening an existing map. Tutorials are supposed to tutor you, ie. teach you. The example at the end is enough copy-paste shtick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back