Mys+tical Raceway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAD master

I know it's not that good. But I compared it to the other race maps, and I thought it was pretty good. But there's no doubt you all have something to complain about, so go ahead and do it. Okay?

Mys/tical Raceway Is an open aired track, lots of jumping. It also has an initial pathway, which is kind of wierd. I Thought-as-I-built when I made this, so It's a bit random.

Screenshot of main circuit:
(Outdated, the pillars are different in the real one. I took it like this so you could see everything.)

WARNING: Do not play in OpenGL. The graphics are messed up, and there are three earths and suns. Also, on the intangible-from-bottom platform, the camera gets stuck under it, while the player is on top.

srb20000.png

Yes, I know, BAD.

At least try it, and then unleash your Constructive criticism. I can handle It.

Yes, I know they are two different things, but likely you all will do both. :/

Pointing out what's wrong, and telling me to fix it, is complaining.

Pointing out what's wrong, and telling me what I should do next time, is Constructive criticism.

Wrong. Telling you what's wrong and to fix it is criticism. Telling you what's wrong and not to do it next time is also criticism. Neither are complaining. If you aren't willing to fix what you make because there's a legitimate problem with it, then there's something wrong with you releasing things.

It works fine in open GL on my end, maybe because I play in First person mode.

Anyway the level is okay.

I think the negative gravity sector should be changed or ditched, it caused some unfair deaths. Maybe you can make the level just the circuit part.

The main circuit scenery is a bit bland, some different textures should help there.

It justs says AL RACEWAY at the start, which of course isn't what you intended.

The level is flat. It should have some varying ground heights to add interest.

Dark Warrior said:
Wrong. Telling you what's wrong and to fix it is criticism. Telling you what's wrong and not to do it next time is also criticism. Neither are complaining. If you aren't willing to fix what you make because there's a legitimate problem with it, then there's something wrong with you releasing things.

I am willing to fix my mistakes. Now stop assuming things about me.

Torgo, the level Does have other sector heights, even though they are actually FOF heights. I will replace the gravity with springs.

If any of you don't like the level, Delete from your SRB2 folder and move on.

Thank you, sonic saver.

Although it will be updated to fit people's needs.

I'm only going to update once, so get your suggestions in now.

WAD master said:
Dark Warrior said:

I am willing to fix my mistakes. Now stop assuming things about me.
Your arguments and statements seem to disagree with this. However, if you are, indeed, willing, and do if needed, I'm not going to argue that.

WAD master said:

http://ssntails.sepwich.com/mb/viewtopic.php?t=8321
Eseentially the same statement.

Torgo, What exactly do you have in mind when you say, 'Different textures'?

Dark Warrior, stop posting flame bait. I'm not biting.

I was just saying that as a suggestion to make it more scenic. Maybe you can make the platforms different then the main course, or make the pillars different then the platforms.

I thought of something else, the track should be a little less straight forward, meaning add more changes in direction.

Hey Wad Master, you know it's bad?

Guess what, you're wrong.

I especially loved playing this, because it involved jumping skill, and not just running in a flat plane (like a whole bunch of people do), and it's good to see someone understands that (not to mention it motivated me to get one of my many unfinished race wads done).

Some suggestions;

- Don't use space, use an "In the Sky" texture or something (heh, picky I know, but if you decide to you one, I could whip one up)

- The platforms are a bit boring, and they're all the same texture. Although not a bad thing, it would be a good idea to mix it up a bit, after all, it is Mys+tical Raceway!

- I noticed you made some of the pillars reach all the way up to the ceiling, which is a bad thing. You should make them lower to match the other ones, but not too low if you really want them to be pretty high. The effect of huge pillars stays in effect if they're huge, but they don't have to be touching the ceiling to get that feel, because you can't see most of them anyway.

- The negative gravity was a bad idea on your part, but it could be saved.
Don't make it take you all the way up! By the way, I had no idea what to do after the first time I did it, and I died. Make the area around the telepad an invisible FOF or something, because people won't know what to do. Not to mention you should emphasize that you have to jump on that giant brick of a pad. What I suggest, is;

After touching the ground of the intangible from bottom FOF, make it a speed pad, and speed you in the direction of the pad, and instead of making the ceiling lower, just use an invisble FOF, this way it doesn't glitch up the camera. You could also use an invisible FOF for stopping you in front of the pad, but, whatever.

Anyway, it was great, and keep your same intentions in mind when you work on another (although, I felt there was a bit too much jumping. Try to combine flat and hoppy types of racing to create something, well, creative).

WAD master said:
Alrighty, I've seriously had it with you.

If you don't want criticism, DON'T POST. You have three days to think about that.

Seriously, DW and Wadmaster do you two ever stop? But this map is alright, it could be improved but I just can't explain how right now.

Torgo said:
It works fine in open GL on my end, maybe because I play in First person mode.

Anyway the level is okay.

I think the negative gravity sector should be changed or ditched, it caused some unfair deaths. Maybe you can make the level just the circuit part.

Very true, especially the part where there is gravity, then the player not knowing when to jump, and then plunging to their deaths at 500 mph.

WAD master said:

Flame Bait? Where?

This level doesn't work. I don't like how the camera gets stuck, although I'm aware that might not be your fault.

Dark Warrior said:
WAD master said:
But there's no doubt you all have something to complain about, so go ahead and do it. Okay?

Complaining and constructive criticism are two different things. Might I point you to a dictionary?

http://m-w.com/dictionary/Criticism
http://m-w.com/dictionary/Complain

Big difference there.

Wow. This is one of the best posts I've seen in a while that properly explains that constructive criticism is NOT flaming. Lookie! I even put it in my sig! :D

EDIT:

GCFreak said:
WAD master said:

Flame Bait? Where?

This level doesn't work. I don't like how the camera gets stuck, although I'm aware that might not be your fault.

Ooh...fish... But really, Dark Warrior, is trying to help. He may be to harsh about it sometimes, but he IS improving your work. Ever seen Draykon? He IS a little sarcastic, but because of his criticism, many people improved. Heck, how do you think Draykon, me(yes me!), Sykotic, Warpshade, and just about every other wadder on the forums(Not EVERYONE), got good at wadding? Constructive criticism. It is truly a great thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back