My personal rant. (Long post warning!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the new improvements is gonna be about new moderators, don't choice the most profesional guy that hardly comes on the forum. Choose someone that visites the forum often and isn't a newbie/n00b.

First of all, I'm glad you miss me Spazzo.

On the topic of the community, I don't think it's terribly bad, but it's definitely different. The fact is that we have a commodity that a lot of people want-a 3D Sonic game, for free, that doesn't suck, and that you can edit. Whatever you say, there are a lot of gamers who want that. And a lot of gamers are inarticulate morons. It's inevitable, really.

On the subject of the chatroom-it's much better than it was in the AIRC days. Sure, a lot of people who we used to like and know are gone. But we get new ones, and some of those are smart. Honestly, in terms of rule enforcement, both board and chatroom, this place does a great job. You can have a discussion here and expect it to be semi intelligent at times. There's no "LOL I LOVE PIE" posts or anything of the sort. Besides the overambitious newbies with their recolors and mods and stuff, things are fine. On that point, who here honestly can say that they have not stepped back, thought about SRB2's capabilities, and went "I want to do that", even if it never happened because it was a lot more work than you thought. We've all done it, and learning the limits of their capabilities will make the newbies better-Shoot for the stars, you might actually hit one. And if not, then at least you know how high you can shoot.

New mods, I understand what you mean Mystic. The fact is that we simply have a lot of new users and not enough trustworthy people to keep track of them. Personally, I think I'd make a great mod, but I'm not on the boards enough, even when I'm not grounded.

The simple fact is this-look at other internet communities, small and large. How many of them have persisted for this long and are still at this quality of a community. Yes, a lot of the respected oldbies are dropping. But we still have a lot left, and the ones that stay are the ones that we need. Stop bitching, really. Do you think that the community and the game would be this good if not for the hard work of people like Mystic, FF, and SSNTails? What if they had just up and left a year ago? Like it or not, those three are the true glue for this community. We want to believe that it's because we all kept the faith alive, and maybe it's partly true, but think. What if instead of a441 up and leaving, it was Mystic? What if instead of an influx of new users, we had only old ones leaving?

The community wouldn't be the same-it would be much worse. So do you think the community is still downhill? I don't, and if it is, it's a gentle downhill-nothing to complain too much about.

I gotta say, I agree with Spazzo whole-heartedly. Even though I'm, let's say... A NEWBIE here, I can say that I'm a lot better than most of the newbies, now n00bies here. Screw them all. I may not have been around when life was great, but dammit, get some brains in that empty little head of yours people! USE YOUR BRAIN.

I can say I'm freakin' sick of all the recolors here, all the craptastic levels we've seen. Basically, all of the CRAP. My level that I'm working on is basically BANNED to an admin/mod. Even though it's a banned level (AKA HANGOUT) it's still better than most of the recent crap being shoveled out by some users. Mine has: Teleports, FOFs, clever usage of SOCcing, excellent ring placement, and UNIFORM LANDSCAPE where it is due.

What are most of you Shovelling out? Flat Landscapes, undeffed rings, bland usage of FOFs, horrid item placement, lacking of thok barriers, etc. I could go on, but I'd rather not have someone blow a gasket and start spewing "FLAMER" everywhere. Fine, I can understand if your first level was disgustingly horrible, but why are you releasing something so horrible to us? You're just going to get marked as a n00b and we'll completely ignore or flame everything you make.

Seriously, this is all simple shit. Pick up your grammar, stop shovelling your bull shit wads and stop getting offended because we don't like your stuff.

S~C~R~E~W I~T A~L~L

Not all of the new members are n00bs,
but they have to learn things to know them, but where are they going to learn things?
Is there some master guide to SRB2? no.

If you want to learn to make maps you use a guide that does not tell them what they need to know.
So they make junk like the guide said?.

So I think the a best way to learn to make Good maps is looking at maps in srb2.srb.
I think we need better guides,
Some thing you may not think of putting in a guide need to be there like when you look at a map in "a map editor" you are looking at the down at the top of the map.

I've learned maping, SOCing, WADing, patch, flat, sound, and music replacement, and C since June 2006 (when I found SRB2 1.09.2), and there is still more to learn, But from where? the SRB2 wiki.

Edit:
Spazzo said:
Hotdog003 is gone.
Hotdog003 said:
he is the glue holding this community together.
http://www.srb2wiki.sepwich.com/index.php?title=User:Hotdog003

Turtle Man: I already knew how to make a good map after I read the tutorials on the site - and I've showed that in Generic Hill Zone. The only problem I can see is the newbies not looking at the wiki for almost all the other aspects of wadding.

Sykotic: Most of the ranting you made has already been mentioned. If you're sick of it, help solve the problem. I haven't been editing the wiki for no reason, you know.

S&T, I agree. We'd probably be in horrible shape if Mystic wasn't here; I honestly think he's possibly the most logical person on this whole board. Screw the "He's an evil dictator" comments I occasionally find elsewhere, if he wasn't here to help enforce the rules, we'd already be in hell, I presume.

And I've already given my opinions on the question of if we get more moderators. I don't think we'll need to resort to it yet however, seeing as we already gave promotions not too long ago.

As a side note, posting on the Wii is a pain in the ass. :(

I'm bumping this topic, due to its relevance. It's been a good few months since I started this topic, and since then I have noticed little to no improvement.

Having 5 or more locked topics as the most recent topics in a forum are not pleasant to look at.

We are getting the same questions asked. Again. And Again.

People neglect to notice that there is a RULES and a FAQ section, of the MB.

It's just getting really tiresome. I feel as if nothing productive/relevant is actually happening here anymore.

Personally, this forum would just need to die then. Not literally, but if there were only enough posts to have to check on the MB only once or twice a day for five minutes, that would be cool. I mean, with only relevant, worthwhile stuff.

Or just pop in bimonthly for the contests, but.....

Hmmph. I know I am what you call a new person here but I have noticed that this forum has been getting overflowed by n00bs asking "hwo do i jump?" "can u plz give me teh wcf?" or the ever classic "[Insert mod question or problem here]". You think I just noticed the forums one day and think that I just joined for fun and didnt know anything about what had been going on? Wrong, I have been looking at this forum ever since september from last year. I have noticed more and more n00bs coming. It has just came from happy forumers to mad n00bishness. Every day it seems there are at least 5 topics locked. 7 n00bish questions asked. and 19 or less posts that are n00bish. And increasing numbers. I have been looking at the forum a bit less than how much I did in Febuary. The EsperNet channel is usually where I stay at. I am just sick and tired of all of this damn n00bishness.
There is my longest speech I have ever done,
Something when you register that asks you questions and can see if your a n00b or not FTW *Shot two times*

I had SRB2 1.09.3 when I got srb2. I had 1.09.4 when I joined in November 2006. Spazzo's comment makes me feel unwelcome to the forum because he mentioned that things went downhill when 1.09 came out. I'm sorry how you feel Spazzo. I've been coming here less and less as well. I came when the newest of rules were being enforced. It's sad I never got to see the true fun side of this forum. I wish I was there to see it. It would've made me happier.

I completely agree with Spazzo's post, before I joined I was here for about a year or two, just never made an account. But when I did make an account I found that this forum didn't give me the warm, homey feeling I used to get. The N00bs are to blame, I used to remember how SMS used to be worshipped and Mystic wasn't always so strict and the forum was a free place to hang out, not some wanna-be holocaust becaues of noobs. Also, there are only a few creations here that are even worth downloading, people aren't putting as much time into their work as they used to do. It's just a shame, to come here and remember how it used to be, then to look at how it has become. And possibly how it will end. If anything needs to be done here, its to have people put more time and effort into their works. That's what used to make SRB2 so great in the Golden Days.

If you guys don't mind, I'm going to go ahead and post some links to topics that existed long, long ago, topics that could possibly be deemed as spam today:

La La Laa!

Hah, the old La La Laa Topic. At the time, a good 60% of the community had a sonic in their avatar, singing "La La Laa!". No idea why, though, it just happened.

Ritz Avatar Editing Contest
Back in the "days", there were avatar editing contests, a new one popping up around once each week, until Mystic eventually put an end to it. I'm just using Ritzs as an example. (some of the funniest things you've ever heard of are in this topic)

There's probably more, but I just can't think of anymore right now.

Gotta love Ritzy Poo<3~

Sonow Hakura said:
I used to remember how SMS used to be worshipped

Just to correct this, none of the older members ever worshipped Super Mystic Sonic. I don't know why you think this, but it never happened.

4 of those 5 topics are by the same person, and he's been dealt with, as have most people that have done the things you've listed.

I'm telling you, the simplest way to avert this whole crisis is to give me admin status. Just for a day!

My previous statements still stand, for the most part. We have one more administrator and two new moderators. While I'm not insinuating that they're doing a bad job, I still feel that it's understaffed. Honestly, moderators can only lock topics. They can't deal with problematic users. I honestly think that Mystic's statement regarding administrators ("More are coming") needs to be followed through.

Along with that, my statement on deleting stupid and pointless posts, especially ones ask questions with answers in the FAQ/Rules/Wiki, need to be deleted, not just locked. That eliminates a lot of stupid and obnoxious clutter from the forums, and allows for a bit less strain on searching new topics.

Dark Warrior said:
Sonow Hakura said:
I used to remember how SMS used to be worshipped

Just to correct this, none of the older members ever worshipped Super Mystic Sonic. I don't know why you think this, but it never happened.
Before you made all those posts about how he wasn't good or whatever, he used to be treated like a god.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back