• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

My level...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzulX

I don't even
Maybe its going to become a good level. I made a description about this:
MAGMA CORE ZONE:Run through the rocks filled with rings!, Can you get them all? Watch out with the lava!
Current version:0.2 (don't want to release).
Screenshots:
A floating platform...
21vea1.png

A HOLE BUNCH of Rings...
2n09btu.png

EVEN MORE BUNCHES OF RINGS...
2vja8et.png

Another floating platform...
20j4u49.png

erm....
hupq4p.png

Read!
juuyp5.png

Last edited:
Nice start, at least we can see you've learned the first steps on SRB2DoomBuilder. But learning how to use the editor is not enough.

I must say you need to add something interesting in your map and give it a scenery so we can guess what your map is for. May it help you: http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Level_Design

BTW, welcome to the community.

Yes ! A new designer !

Before-all, I hope that you are using SRB2 Doom Builder.
If you don't know how to use this software, there is a tutorial on the SRB2 Wiki.

... Then I recommend you read the Level Design 101 at least once, to know a few rules and building advice !
http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Level_Design_101

The main section that you need to watch is "1 player".
However, if you're feeling active, you can also read "General Information", "Visual Design" and "Enemy Placement".

Now your level ...
It's a texture to you, on the ground ? I've never seen.
The rings are glued to the floor. They must be slightly fly. To do this, right click on them and select the "Float". You will see that the floats rings make your level more seriously.
... I think you're going to bombard your enemies level. Well, you must also bombarded with some sectoral challenges (laser ==> for the mechanical theme, do not fall off a very fine way ==> to the nature theme, etc.).

You must also vary decks high and low platforms.
If the soil is always at the same height , it's not terrible. Greenflower, even it, he has some high platforms.
And .. finally ... do not do rooms too large nor too small.
Generally, these early levels have very small roads.
If it is small, there are camera issues and it's hard to move.
If it's too big ... it can cause graphics glitches and it may also offend the player.

There are so many things wrong with this.

1) The flat used. I'm assuming you figured out how to do custom textures and flats, and I must congratulate you on that much. Unfortunately, you proceeded to use it towards a completely illogical end. Why on Earth is Sonic's face plastered on the ground a thousand times over? It makes no sense in any context, and is a waste of time. I won't say don't make custom textures, but try for things that are actually textures and not just random images you want to splatter over a wall.

2) The rings are flat on the ground - at least, I'm assuming, since I can barely see them, but I'll get to that aspect in a bit. There should be a flag for the ring Things - either "Deaf" or "Float", depending on your config. Make sure they are always checked, unless you're manually placing the rings in the air yourself. Failure to do this is a typical telltale sign of newbie mapping, and needs to be corrected posthaste. It's pretty simple to do, really.

3) The level design leaves a lot to be desired, even considering I can barely glean anything from the screens in question. It's flat as hell, and frankly, every good map for a Doom-based game, SRB2 included, has some modicum of height variation, even if only some minor variation to break up the monotonous vast plains you'd get otherwise. So, yeah, unless you're trying to recreate Wolfenstein 3D in SRB2 (and believe me when I say it's already been done), start adding some platforms, maybe something small to jump on for a ring box or what have you...

4) For the love of Jegus, type "bind z screenshot" (or any key other than z that you prefer, really) into the console and use THAT to take screens. Screens with a console taking up half the screen are hideous as shit.

5) If you do ever intend to continue showcasing this map, or any other, I highly recommend you take multiple shots showcasing different angles of the level, as opposed to the two here which are the exact same shot taken at different times. I've literally got one image to go by here, it's not really easy to work with.

I'm sure there are more flaws, but they're likely covered in the Level Designer's 101 than IE linked to. Do read that over and figure out what you're doing wrong other than the things I mentioned, and maybe you'll start churning out something interesting. As it is, this screams "first map", and I'll be honest, nobody's first map is worth giving a shit about.

There are so many things wrong with this.

1) The flat used. I'm assuming you figured out how to do custom textures and flats, and I must congratulate you on that much. Unfortunately, you proceeded to use it towards a completely illogical end. Why on Earth is Sonic's face plastered on the ground a thousand times over? It makes no sense in any context, and is a waste of time. I won't say don't make custom textures, but try for things that are actually textures and not just random images you want to splatter over a wall.

2) The rings are flat on the ground - at least, I'm assuming, since I can barely see them, but I'll get to that aspect in a bit. There should be a flag for the ring Things - either "Deaf" or "Float", depending on your config. Make sure they are always checked, unless you're manually placing the rings in the air yourself. Failure to do this is a typical telltale sign of newbie mapping, and needs to be corrected posthaste. It's pretty simple to do, really.

3) The level design leaves a lot to be desired, even considering I can barely glean anything from the screens in question. It's flat as hell, and frankly, every good map for a Doom-based game, SRB2 included, has some modicum of height variation, even if only some minor variation to break up the monotonous vast plains you'd get otherwise. So, yeah, unless you're trying to recreate Wolfenstein 3D in SRB2 (and believe me when I say it's already been done), start adding some platforms, maybe something small to jump on for a ring box or what have you...

4) For the love of Jegus, type "bind z screenshot" (or any key other than z that you prefer, really) into the console and use THAT to take screens. Screens with a console taking up half the screen are hideous as shit.

5) If you do ever intend to continue showcasing this map, or any other, I highly recommend you take multiple shots showcasing different angles of the level, as opposed to the two here which are the exact same shot taken at different times. I've literally got one image to go by here, it's not really easy to work with.

I'm sure there are more flaws, but they're likely covered in the Level Designer's 101 than IE linked to. Do read that over and figure out what you're doing wrong other than the things I mentioned, and maybe you'll start churning out something interesting. As it is, this screams "first map", and I'll be honest, nobody's first map is worth giving a shit about.
well ok sorry didnt know about that
i replaced it with a gfz texture..
EDIT:I think it looks better with a RVZ texture!

Last edited:
type "bind z screenshot" (or any key other than z that you prefer, really) into the console and use THAT to take screens.

Or just use F8.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

type "bind z screenshot" (or any key other than z that you prefer, really) into the console and use THAT to take screens.

Or just use F8. You won't need to use the console at all for screenshots.

EDIT: Okay, for some reason, SRB2 MB is not letting me edit my original post. Why am I having so many problems with this site all of the sudden? @_@

Its still only box you have to add something else. Also get rid of ring and monitor spamming.

Its still only box you have to add something else. Also get rid of ring and monitor spamming.
I made the level more than a extremely giant box with nothing than monitors and rings.(but now has EVEN MORE RINGS!)
Updated the post
EDIT: i don't know why i did put the sonic face. Maybe to make you guys laugh, until i recognized that doing that is extremely stupid.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even call it a level, Its just a...ringfest, there's nothing but rings and what the crap is that lava your standing on?

I only have one thing to say about this:

Too much rings. Reduce the amount of rings in this level. Anyways, it was a good map for your first one.

Ring Heaven Zone 1 (that's one how many rings I see). Man, I never saw so many rings before.

This looks more like a special stage than a regular level cause of the rings but I don't think you can make custom special stages.

Mmm ... This is not bad this map is good but I see it as very souped-up, all full of rings.

! can create new enemies, I do but my computer is alive estubira dañadapero if I create a good pair of WADs.

All I see are RINGS. Please, put them in logical places, not just all over the place.

This map doesn't even look remotely decent. There is nothing good to say about it other than the sole fact that it actually manages to exist on this plane of reality. That being said, I do actually have something constructive to say. I suggest you look at the stock SRB2 maps and then look at your map. This isn't about being as good as them so much as being able to identify they actually resemble something rather than just a large, boring, empty room. Just try to work towards making your maps feel like real imaginary places.

What an ignorance. Honestly I think you only want to try to create funny map, but its just stupid. Fact that you´re still only adding rings and making it look worse told me you´ll never do any serious map. Also map like this will never be released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back