My Comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
..Um..

..Your computer isn't the internet?

You need to upload those to some other source ( I suggest Photobucket ) to post them, you can't post images straight from your computer.

I'm going to avoid outright insulting this, but you did ask what we think, so you're going to get a review from me that you may not like. Let's begin.

This is just awful. I used to think there was nothing worse than sprite comics. It turns out that there is: sprite comics that are posted at such a small scale that you can't read the text. Not to imply that the text would have been particularly fulfilling to read. But what makes this worse still is that the artist has set deadlines for new pages. You shouldn't be posting deadlines unless you've got a product that you know people are going to anticipate and you can actually make a quality release by the time those deadlines come around.

My advice is, first of all, to not make a sprite comic. Nobody really enjoys reading sprite comics, they just tolerate them. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. Also, don't just set arbitrary deadlines for your new pages, that is a completely ridiculous practice, and it doesn't make your comic look any more legitimate or professional.

Nobody really enjoys reading sprite comics, they just tolerate them. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.
Speak for yourself. Although the vast majority are crap, there actually are very good sprite comics. Metroid Third Derivative on Bob and George's site comes to mind, despite being on an indefinite hiatus. (Bob and George itself isn't so bad either, though it's wearing a bit thin - probably why it's winding to a close.)

And I dunno if using Garry's Mod counts as making sprite comics (particularly since those are models, not sprites), but if it does, Concerned was awesome as hell.

Shadow Hog, think about it this way:

Would you prefer those sprite comics be drawn normally with good art? While I enjoy 8-Bit Theater, I assure you, it's not for the art, it's because I enjoy the characters and plot. While he's gotten really good at manipulating sprites and background images, that's not why I read it.

Good sprite comics are good because the writing is good, not because they're sprite comics.

Hey now, Fireball20XL has some pretty good sprite comics, such as:

DAMN
Replay Value
That's My Sonic
Scrambled Eggs (Listed under Ashes of the Fourth Wall, under Reruns)

In particular, Scrambled Eggs is a great example of a sprite comic because the plot is in context with the type of comic it is for. The basic gist is that several Eggman sprites from various games run into each other and argue about who is the top dog (Classic, Advance, Pocket Adventure, and an original sprite are among the Ivos that appear). Often times, they fight over who has the superior sprite sheet, which I personally found to be hilarious. Honestly, it's all in the execution, and Scrambled Eggs did a mighty fine job at that.

Of course, that's not to say that there aren't bad sprite comics out there. Infact, the bad far outweigh the good, but that doesn't mean that they're all bad.

Mystic said:
Shadow Hog, think about it this way:

Would you prefer those sprite comics be drawn normally with good art? While I enjoy 8-Bit Theater, I assure you, it's not for the art, it's because I enjoy the characters and plot. While he's gotten really good at manipulating sprites and background images, that's not why I read it.

Good sprite comics are good because the writing is good, not because they're sprite comics.

In retrospect, I also wouldn't read a comic that has terrible writing but good art. It goes both ways.

Shadow Hog said:
And I dunno if using Garry's Mod counts as making sprite comics (particularly since those are models, not sprites), but if it does, Concerned was awesome as hell.

The HL2 comic? I loved that. I was really upset when it finally ended, but I guess all good things will eventually come to an end. If models count as sprite comics, too, then I guess I've already made my own sprite comic.

http://theresult.deviantart.com/gallery/

Made with IMVU. One of IMVU's only practical uses: Making comics. =/

FoxBlitzz said:
Hey now, Fireball20XL has some VERY good sprite comics
Amen.

But not all of their comics are sprites. Most of them are drawn. But AkumaTH, these comics are horrible. But I can understand if they were your first comics. Mine were somewhat terrible in similarity. But if you want a good comic you must either use comedy, or action with EXTREMELY good sprites, backgrounds, etc. Like some of the comics on MFZA4. Or you could use humor and action, but I doubt that would turn out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back