• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Misty lake from Sonic and the Black Knight SRB2 remake.

El-fire

i am a toaster
tiny sonic is still being worked on i just dont have any motivation right now to draw anything someday it will come back but ive always wanted to see a Sonic and the Black knight remake in SRB2 but it was never made at least in 2.2 so i decided to take on the task myself with no zone builder experience or 3D Sonic level making experience... this should be fun. ok i lied i did try using zone builder 3 times in the past but every level it tried making i quickly got tired of due to how complicated Zone builder was to me i only used LittleBigPlanet before to make games and stuff so yeah. but this time i plan on sticking to it cause if i dont make this no one will!... probably idk but im starting on Misty lake before i fully commit to making the full game so after this long backstory here of some of the progress i made.

unfinished layout sketch made back in February.
SATBK Misty lake layout WIP1.jpg

progress on the actual zone so far.
srb20107.png

srb20108.png
srb20110.png
srb20111.png
srb20112.png
srb20113.png

and problem of not knowing how to continue the zone like whats next i mean i have the sketch but idk if its a good layout or not and im basing this off a game that had you constricted to a rail as in you dont explore much unlike in SRB2 so yeah. please feel free to leave any tips those are very much appreciated and yeah! k bye!

made the first video on this project so if you wanna see it in action so far here it is!
the audio might be weird im new to OBS.

just finished the second video showcasing the level! check the description for more info.

I can't watch the videos, but the images look very cool. Obviously, the screenshots reveal that the level right now looks a bit bland, but I know you're just starting out. I hope for the best, for you and your motivation! <:)

quick edit: i use obs as well and if the audio, as you said, sounds weird, i suggest removing the mic audio, leaving just the desktop audio...that is if the mic audio is still there and you haven't removed it yet :)

thanks! and yeah ive gotten more level done since then. its gonna look a little bland for awhile because i dont wanna spend too much time decorating at the beginning cause i dont wanna stay stuck on one section of the level for too long i wanna keep moving until the main paths are finished then ill start really decorating and polishing if i can. ill see if i can start posting more gifs and screenshots along with YouTube videos so everyone can see the progress ive made so far.

thanks! and yeah ive gotten more level done since then. its gonna look a little bland for awhile because i dont wanna spend too much time decorating at the beginning cause i dont wanna stay stuck on one section of the level for too long i wanna keep moving until the main paths are finished then ill start really decorating and polishing if i can. ill see if i can start posting more gifs and screenshots along with YouTube videos so everyone can see the progress ive made so far.
That's understandable, take your time by all means.

*Also, I probably couldn't see the videos because I'm using the message board on my phone(accessible through the downloaded app shortcut) and it's probably just being buggy.*
WAIT! No! They work now! Nevermind!

i haves a question!: is it possible to do Floor over Floor... over Floor? like FOFOF like another floating floor over the first floating floor? cause i think ive seen it before in some levels i just dont know how to do it myself. i only know FOF not FOFOF.

holy crap, I've been waiting for a black knight level mod FOREVER, i can't wait to play this when it's finished, and it looks awesome so far, all we need after this is a sonic with Cliburn mod to complete the mod

i have been wanting to make a Knight of the Wind mod but i dont feel like drawing sprites right now and i havent asked my coder friend if they're up for it. so maybe a character will happen maybe it wont idk at least for now. i do know at least Misty Lake will be made.

sorry its been a bit since ive done any progress or shown any progress but dont worry its not cancelled or anything im determined to finish this no matter how long it takes for one level to be done that sounds kinda dumb tbh that its taking so long to make one level but this is my first time doing this and zone builder is kinda hard to use tbh like i cant just draw a slope no i have to put a bunch of void Doritos and make sure all the tags match up. i get its cause this is running off an old engine and idk if i can see SRB2 in any other engine i think the doom engine makes SRB2 special in my eyes so i can try to deal with these void Doritos. hope y'all are having a great day and ill get back to this at some point.

sorry its been a bit since ive done any progress or shown any progress but dont worry its not cancelled or anything im determined to finish this no matter how long it takes for one level to be done that sounds kinda dumb tbh that its taking so long to make one level but this is my first time doing this and zone builder is kinda hard to use tbh like i cant just draw a slope no i have to put a bunch of void Doritos and make sure all the tags match up. i get its cause this is running off an old engine and idk if i can see SRB2 in any other engine i think the doom engine makes SRB2 special in my eyes so i can try to deal with these void Doritos. hope y'all are having a great day and ill get back to this at some point.

Oof, yeah, making slopes in Zone Builder is a pain in the ass…

alright so i havent made any new progress on the map in awhile sorry but ive recently got Ultimate Zone Builder cause i heard its easier to make slopes and you can do other cool things but when i load my map into UZB i just get alot of errors so i went to the discord and found a way to convert maps like mine into the new format and it needs some kind of batch file and idk how to make batch files and i tried other things and couldnt get it to work so if i cant start from where i left off then i can always just restart i think its fine if i restart, the level design so far has been kinda flat and boring so far so why not just start clean eh? ill see what i decide at some point but for now cya later!

once again i havent made any progress, i said in the last update i'd move over to Ultimate zone builder but it doesnt seem to work too well on my PC so imma wait for the full legit release. i havent had much motivation to continue the map right now but i have started a new one, a remake of a level that has been remade in this game for awhile even by Sonic team Jr themselves at one point near this time of year! so idk if i should start another WIP thread for that level, or turn this thread into something like: "El-fires work in progress stuff" or something like that so it can be for anything i work on, or just dont make a thread and just work on it when i can. whatever i decide to do, idk if or when ill come back to misty lake at least not anytime soon, i know i really wanna make this SRB2 Black knight thing a reality so either someday ill come back to it or ill never come back to it im not sure. but yeah thank y'all for the kind words, ill try to learn more about level design by remaking a level from a Main line Sonic game thats kinda similar to SRB2. k bye!

finally figured out why Ultimate Zone builder was crashing on me during testing, might finally come back to this project at some point but i think im gonna remake this from scratch since ive learned alot from working on Emerald coast and im using a new version of zone builder so yeah! gonna take some time to learn it but it shouldnt be too hard hopefully.

im gonna show something more interesting at some point dont worry but for now have this screenshot of a test level testing how i want the lighting to look, how the water should look (and yes its actually water this time and yes you can die if you drop bellow it), and how the level's edges are gonna be wrapped in these trees (tough i could probably just use a sky box ill think about it) and im pretty happy with it! still not sure about the sky, im using an edited version of Arid canyon act 2's sky just without the little dark blue bits and idk i did try making my own that looked more like the original level's sky color but it looked bad so idk ill try to come up with something better but ye! im absolutely loving Ultimate Zone builder and i think i might stick with it this time! they made so many things easier to do and more fun! less void triangles thats for sure.
srb20235.png

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back